Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a couple of pictures for the interest of the people - hopefully it'll be winging it's way in my direction next week. More photos of build and clearances in due course.

IMG_20140320_093917776.jpg

IMG_20140320_093937231.jpg

For the even more interested, some details :)....

135mm symmetrical rear
73mm BB shell
Paragon rocker drop-outs

I'll have two wheelsets - Rohloff/ML/HuDu rear with Hope/RD/HuDu front, and Limited cassette Hope Pro2Evo SS/Trials/Rabbit hole/Knard rear and Hope Fatsno/Rabbit Hole/Knard front.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
135mm Symmetrical w/ 73mm bb that will clear 4" tires? I am interested to see that. :thumbsup:

My man bits don't like the shape of that top tube though. :eekster:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
135mm Symmetrical w/ 73mm bb that will clear 4" tires? I am interested to see that. :thumbsup:
The 4" tyre set-up demands SS or Rohloff (54mm chainline)

I don't ride snow, so 'pot-holing' isn't an issue. The upwardly curved TT is to maximise frame-bag space (and make it look very fine) - it's actually a closer thing in the 29+ guise than fat...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Very nice, very well thought through.

Riding along on my SS Fargo was thinking about such a setup just this morning. Buying a Rohloff is such a big step no way I could even contemplate two Rohloffs, so because I like SS so much I realised must use the Rohloff for the fat bike surface conditions, but SS fine for 29er and 29+.

Really looking forward to your build and riding experiences.

·
Banned
2,320 Posts
Looks fantastic!
This is exactly what I've been seeking for my next frame. 29+, SS, threaded BB, curved seat tube, short stays.
Drooling..

(tapa)

·
Registered
14,380 Posts
Love the high TT for the framebag space as well. :thumbsup:

In decades of offroad riding I have never hit my man bits on the TT despite many crashes. :eekster:;)

That's one of my few gripes with my Krampus - the low TT. :nono:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Love the high TT for the framebag space as well. :thumbsup:

In decades of offroad riding I have never hit my man bits on the TT despite many crashes. :eekster:;)

That's one of my few gripes with my Krampus - the low TT. :nono:
I have to say that the times I've come off a bike while riding off-road, I've usually ended up upside-down under the bike ;-) I'm hoping that a single-compartment non-drive side framebag compartment will be big enough to fit an 11" macbook air (thus solving the ontour computing issue for me) - we'll see.

The framebag is going to be a 'bolt-on' one similar to the Hunter long-tail fat bike that Scott Felter used for the Canning Stock Route - Andy had a lot of chats with Scott about the best place to put the extra bottle-cage bosses. The DT has a triple 'anything cage' set plus one further forward, and the TT has three evenly spaced bosses. The ST will have velcro straps as normal to allow better zip functioning.

As I don't and probably won't ride much snow with the potholing risk, my desire for maximising the framebag space has somewhat limited my choices. This frame is a similar fit on me (in 29+ guise) as Scott's red Hunter is on him (ie tight...). It's less tight in 4" fat guise.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
I guess in the deep snow I usually ride my bike in, my 9ZERO7 hydroformed tt is much appreciated. Nothing like losing 16" of standover in deep snow.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
nm13 - impressive it is - it is the clearance with the normal 54mm chainline, and I'm pretty pleased with it. Thankfully the chainline for the Hope SS/Trials based limited cassette 29+ setup I have planned is pretty similar, so I won't have to change too much to do the swap when I'm in the mood for light and faster :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks fantastic and nice build ideas will pay off :)
Thank you :)

The build is pretty much a direct transfer from it's predecessor - the only thing that I've done differently is to use a Chris King headset rather than a Hope one (mainly to bring it into line with my wife's fattie so that on long trips we've got interchangeable spares) and a Raceface Turbine 73mm BB crank rather than the 100mm Atlas that's on the previous bike. The rest of the kit has worked very nicely for me, including hanging in there along the Canning Stock Route.

I have a limited cassette 29+ plan that I'll put some pics of once I've decided on the front wheel... I'm still deciding whether I want to mill out my Reba to take a Knard on P35 or just get down to lacing up a Rabbit Hole on a Hope Fatsno hub.

Glad you like it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts