Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright Folks,

Please give some input. Considering a new light/s. Talk of Q5s, R2s, drivers, heatsinks, etc. is going to go way beyond me. What I'm looking for is a great light, great being defined as good light output, durable, easy to use, low maint and a good value. Looking chiefly for a helmet mount.

Lights I am considering are:

1. Amoeba - Jay/Scar seems great to work with and everyone who owns his lights are big fans. Product - seems great, people really have no complaints and the value is terrific. Concerns - long term durability and ability to service light. As noted above, I'm not a technical light wizard and at this point have no interest in becoming one. So I'm not concerned about Jay/Scar not standing behind his product, but what if he decides he's not interested in doing lights anymore?

2. NiteFlux Photon Max - great reviews and appears to be a good company. The light is a good value for the output and seems great according to the folks who have written reviews. Concerns - battery size, it's big. Would like beam pattern to be a bit less of a spot, however, the spot could work great on the helmet (I'm currently running a cygolite dualcross on the the bars and have no complaints with it).

3. AyUp MTB kit - company seems great - they listened to user feedback and made big improvements to their product. They are responsive to inquiries and appear to stand behind their product. Two lights and etc. for the price are a great value. Concerns - review photos don't seem like the light is as bright as the other lights.

4. LightOn 900 - again, company appears great, light pattern is amazing and the light is small. Concern here is the cost. If cost were no object, I think I'd go with this light - I really like the output photo on the light review.

So, let's here it, what light do you like and why?

Thanks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have never had anything apart from AY-UP so that is all I can comment on. I brought the MTB kit with changes (But emailed AY-UP to make changes which they did without issues) as well along with a third light so my setup is two lights mounted on the handle bars one being the "Intermediate-Handlebar Use" & the second in the kit "Narrow-Helmet Use".

The Intermediate on the bottom and the Narrow on top mounted on the bars. The third light I purchased was also a Narrow which is helmet mounted. I also swapped out the mounting system for the "Gecko Lightset Mounting Kit & Gecko Battery Mounting Kit". I also emailed AY-UP and swapped out the standard "Dual Channel 12V DC Charger" for "6 Channel Charger" and paid the difference. I highly recommend swapping out the two channel charger for the six channel one because it allows for upgrades in the future if you decide to get extra batteries then you have no worries about not being able to charge all your batteries at once.

I also purchased an extra 6 hour battery which I use to power the handle bars then I use one 3hr for helmet and have a spare 3hr in my camelbak. Why did I purchase AY-UP it was a very simple answer there based here in Oz and there response to emails was second too none not to mention there fast service and quality products. While I have never had to make use of there product guarantees they seems to be rock solid in that they stand behind there product.

The burn time of the batteries for 6hr or 3hr is minimum burn time depending on battery but I get about 4.5 hrs out of the 3hr and 8hrs out of the 6hr batteries. You can place the lights in a plastic rain coat pocket and it won't melt they run that cool so no injuries will be had should you grab one unlike many others that run stinking hot.

All parts are 100% water proof that is lights and batteries and they allow you to pick and choose colour for the lights during the buying process so you can better custom suit your bike. Everything comes in it's own pouches but once set-up I have never used any of the pouches but still nice to have during shipping. The kits comes with plenty of bit's and pieces to suit any set-up so from that point of view they have included everything to get you up and running.

While I have 3 lights they do light things up out to about 100m and anything within a 40m range is like daylight and that is on non reflective surfaces.

For helmet mounting the battery and lights are so light you don't know there on your head and also small and too give you an idea of size the below image may help you. A standard match box next too the light and 3hr battery.

These kits are maintenance free so from my point of view this whole AY-UP experience has been nothing short of great reliable product that gives you the options as a purchaser and the lights are bright so I hope that helps a little.

EDIT: Forgot too mention there batteries don't have any memory so you can charge any time you like be it after 1hr or 5 minutes. They still give you there minimum burn time through out there life so I thought I had better point this out too you this is a huge cost saving compared to many batteries that loose burn time over there life span. Nothing worse than going for a 2hr ride on a 3hr battery only to find out that your battery starts to no longer deliver full power 1.5hrs into your ride or slowly diminishes in brightness. AY-UP has a minimum burn time and it burns at full for the entire minimum time and beyond.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
My two cents worth....In keeping with your choices: The Light On 900 has an awesome output. However it is not without faults. First, it looks to be more geared toward bar mounting. Second, The battery is quite big, not to mention that the switch/driver is built into the battery casing. This is not the best scenario for on-the-fly mode changes. There is also no smaller battery offered. Since it has only a two hour run time on high you wouldn't want a smaller battery anyway. :rolleyes: Lastly it only has two modes, high and half power.
Niteflux Photon Max: Once again a very bright light at a great price. Geared more toward bar mounting. The newer versions offer more light spread than previous versions. Like the Light On 900 the Photon Max has the switch on the battery..:rolleyes: I'm sorry, but I have a personal disdain/negative bias for battery mounted driver/switching. :nono: It does have more modes than the Light On however. If the Light ON 900 and NiteFLUX Photon Max offered remote switching they would probably sell like crazy. Since you already have a bar mounted system, I think either the Amoeba or the AyUp would be a good choice. I don't think you would need the AyUp kit since you only need one light. Since the Ayup's contain two light heads on one mount, I would order it with one narrow optic and one medium optic. That would give you a nice even spread with some throw. Of course if you really want a great helmet light I'm going to recommend one that you didn't mention. It is the HIDtech Lumen8R. The one reviewed by MTBreview is the Triple Cree R2 version. 700lm is nothing to sneeze at. With the Lumen8r's you get a choice of optics and choice of battery size. ( the small battery should get you 3+hrs on high for the triple ). There is also a quad version of the Lumen8R. I happen to own one of the quads ( which I helmet mount ) and it is awesomely bright with over 200ft of throw ( narrow optics ). All Lumen8r models have mult-modes...high-med-low and flash modes. The switch is on top of the light head...just where it should be. ;) **note..No, I don't work for HIDtech, I'm just heavily biased towards great light systems sold at a decent price.

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Originally posted by ucme4dk
So I'm not concerned about Jay/Scar not standing behind his product, but what if he decides he's not interested in doing lights anymore?
I like to ride my bike too much and having small children, the only time I get to ride without any flak is after the kids are in bed or before they get up. I would be concerned about any manufacturer in todays economy.

PM me if you would like any more info

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Cat-man-do, reading about your experience so far with the LM8r it sounds like you've had a good experience and that HIDTechnologies has been fairly responsive. While I don't like the idea of needing to send a light internationally to have it serviced, it looks like they have a great product.

How has your light (battery) been doing during the winter months so far?

Nothing that I've seen can really compete with the size of the Amoeba lights. And the light output is good. Anyone have any input on these lights?

Thanks.

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scar,

Thanks for the link. I took the time to read it. DOD folks really like your lights. I ride several hundred miles South of them in Medford, OR. Not nearly the amount of trails that Eugene has and nothing compared to SLC, UT where I just moved from.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the trolly guys. A pioneer will always have critics.

Your light system appears great. Tell me a little about battery life in cold temps, light head durability in inclement weather and the sizes of your 6 and 10 hour batteries.

I'm one of those paralysis by analysis types, but not too technical. I just like to know what works best for my needs.

Thanks.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
ucme4dk said:
I'm one of those paralysis by analysis types, but not too technical. I just like to know what works best for my needs.

Thanks.
Me too. I spent way too much time looking at stats, but they don't mean much out on the trail. I bought a flood version of the Amoeba, and use it with my HID. the Amoeba is on the bars, and does a great job flooding the 20-30 feet immediately in front of my bike. My HID spot is needed to go fast. Albee, another DOD rider, has 2 Amoebas, replacing a double HID set up. He prefers the quality of the Amoeba light to his HIDs although they may not be quite as bright.

Hey, if you are in Meford, just come up to Eugene and check out some Amoebas for yourself. there are always at least 3 or 4 at our Wed night rides. I've had my Amoeba for over a year, and only had one minor problem with the battery in the beginning. Scar sent me a replacement battery immediately, while I sent him my old one back for repair.
If Scar says he's not going anywhere, I trust him to give me better customer service than any company out there.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
ucme4dk said:
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Cat-man-do, reading about your experience so far with the LM8r it sounds like you've had a good experience and that HIDTechnologies has been fairly responsive. While I don't like the idea of needing to send a light internationally to have it serviced, it looks like they have a great product.

How has your light (battery) been doing during the winter months so far?

Nothing that I've seen can really compete with the size of the Amoeba lights. And the light output is good. Anyone have any input on these lights?

Thanks.
It might cost a little more and take a little longer if you have to send something back but at least the company is responsive to problems. I considered these things before I bought. Since you are asking about the battery I presume you read the other thread I started when I developed the battery problem. The battery I have still works only there is an intermittent open wire inside the female plug that is attached to the battery. HIDtech is aware of the problem and is sending a new battery. Hopefully I should have it by next week if all the holiday fuss hasn't slowed the postal system too much. Right now I'm not doing too much riding anyway due to all the rain. Not to mention I just got over a really bad sinus infection just before Christmas. The older I get the more cold weather really seems to disagree with me. Nevertheless, I haven't ridden in almost a month and I'm dieing to get a ride in. Long range forecast shows rain on Friday..:mad: ..sheesh...that's how it's been for the last couple weeks. Last thing I want to do is get sick again or get my bike clogged with mud..:rolleyes:

·
Spanish biker
732 Posts
scar said:
I like to ride my bike too much and having small children, the only time I get to ride without any flak is after the kids are in bed or before they get up. I would be concerned about any manufacturer in todays economy.

PM me if you would like any more info
Hi, and your wife don't put to you any problem to ride by the night? what luck!!!! :D

Joking apart, ride by the night is very funny :yawn::)

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr

·
Registered
293 Posts
1. I won't even think about amoeba with one setting one battery setup for $200 plus $10 regular shipping, I would rather buy dinotte 400L with it's 2 year warrenty for $209 with 2 batteries next day shipping free, you can ask for the 4 cell that'll last you 5 hour on high, and 20 hour on low. with 3 flash modes (complicated circuit) and customer service no one can beat. If you see the way Dinotte 400L is build to be very weather resistant. the only one silican seal on the 400L is way over design to seal out the moisture while allow you to access to service or change the lens.

2. Photon max is very bright and light weight, but it's head look like a alien that stick up too high on your helmet and it's switch on the battery is worse I have ever used. very hard to press unless you take off you glove. silcone seal is not design very well, so you will have leaks just like Hope lights. not bad with high, med, and flash (no complicated circuit) mode that you can still used it more then one setting lights. great heat protection circuit to step down the power as it heat up when you stop do tire repair.

3. Ayups are lightweight like amoeba and small easy to aim, but no circuit one setting on/off to regulate the light, so it'll dim just like amoeba lights when batteries drains( bright at first and dim as batteries drains). and it's heatsink is as bad as amoeba with not heat protection turn off circuit like Dinotte 400L. $242 for 2 led setup that's not as bright as photon max that cost $230.

4. no comment on light on as I didn't get to test them.

if you have $209, I would buy dinotte 400L. If you have $300, I would buy the 800L/400L combo and sell the 400L. If you have $400 and like wireless, buy exp max 4. Dinotte have the best customer service. who would refund fully minus next day shipping cost after 60 days of use. and send you a replacement light next day air under 2 year warrenty work without seeing your broken light first.

·
Registered
293 Posts
scar said:
Post made by eddielee70 on 11-08-08

Photo is from eddielee70's photo gallery
What's your point? Scar. You didn't post my other DIY lights. very intelligent posting my first ever build light copied from il2mb. what was your first light like? anyone wants to post scar's first light, that'll look like **** too. I didn't copy your light design, too many gaps. il2mb and archeslot had a better DIY design. after hearing your $200 light, I build that with only $50 in parts including battery and charger. I was thinking why pay someone $210 for a cheap ill design light, when I can build it for $50 and I'm still using it after a year use.

oops, this is about manufacture lights. I would still go with Dinotte lights, even though I made like 8 of my own DIY lights and still use them three times a week.

check this out. this is what I call a very good design heat sink light. much better then Scar's
https://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=479929

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
Let me help you out

Here is the link to my photo gallery http://gallery.mtbr.com/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/262291

You will see my first light, PondScum, the first iteration of the Amoeba, and my favorite light that I named The Troll (I wonder who that was named after??) Oh, and a bunch of pictures of riding bikes, go figure.

Here is a link to all of my posts on MTBR - http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?searchid=7545023 I have never bashed on anybodys lights, DIY or manufacturered. Nor have I ever had any communication with eddielee70. But for some unknown reason, any time somebody posts something positive about the Amoeba (has there even been a negative post beside eddielee70's?) eddielee70 is there within minutes to bash it, even though he has never seen one in action or person.

Just to set the timeline straight -

DIY Done Cheap (11-07-2007) - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=355347

Amoeba debut (11-05-2007) - http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=354430&highlight=1000+lumens+helmet+mounted Hmmm, I must be able to see into the future, even though they are not even remotely similar. Wait I see the similarity, they both have 2 LED's.

There, I am done feeding you, hope you have a Happy New Year!

·
Registered
192 Posts
eddielee70 said:
3. Ayups are lightweight like amoeba and small easy to aim, but no circuit one setting on/off to regulate the light, so it'll dim just like amoeba lights when batteries drains( bright at first and dim as batteries drains). and it's heatsink is as bad as amoeba with not heat protection turn off circuit like Dinotte 400L. $242 for 2 led setup that's not as bright as photon max that cost $230.
eddielee70 I have too correct you the light will not dim until after the manufactures time has expired which depending on which battery you get is either a minimum of 6hrs or 3hrs. It will deliver that same constant light source for that minimum rating before dimming. You don't need a heat sink AY-UP lights don't get hot they remain cool and need no air flow too keep them cool either. You can place the light in your pocket and hold them in a closed hand without fear of any damage to yourself or clothing. Unlike many other lights there is no need to turn them off when stopped because they don't required air flow too keep cool.

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
WeakMite said:
Where can you get this price for a Dinotte 400L? - That's $60 lower than what their online store sells it for.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. :rolleyes: .... Now, about the Amoeba which was one of the lights mentioned by the thread starter: An interesting little package, The Amoeba. I've never seen one in person either but it is amazing how many people have built similar DIY set-ups in the last couple of months. Not more than six months ago I was seriously considering buying one of these lights from Scar. That was just before Cree announced the debut of their MC-E multi-die LED. When I saw the MC-E I decided to wait a little longer before buying. I thought ( maybe ) Scar might make an MC-E version of the Amoeba. Didn't happen though. I did contact Scar and got a nice quote on a ( Cree R-2 ) Amoeba without battery ( I forget the price now but it was reasonable ). I think the only two things that prevented me from buying the Amoeba was the lack of a lower power mode and the possibility of problems using the Velcro mounting on my helmet. I was also waiting to see if any of the Amoeba buyers were going to offer up their own beam photos. Lots of people wrote back saying that they liked the Amoeba but there was an annoying lack of user beam photos. I have no axe to grind against the Amoeba. It is a simple build that should output something in the 400-450lm range. Scar did offer a choice of optics and Leds as well as discounts for different setups. Truthfully, I don't recall there being too many people who didn't think the Amoeba was worth the money he was asking ( except maybe one...;) ) I would love to test one out myself if just to see how well ( or not ) it would stack up against the competition. Anyway, I ended up buying a more brighter / expensive system from HIDtech along with a bunch of cheaper torches for back up. So much for that now ...water under the bridge....the New Year is almost here, lets end the bickering. :thumbsup:

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Cat-man-do said:
I was also waiting to see if any of the Amoeba buyers were going to offer up their own beam photos. Lots of people wrote back saying that they liked the Amoeba but there was an annoying lack of user beam photos. I have no axe to grind against the Amoeba. lets end the bickering. :thumbsup:

I posted a mini light shoot out last year after I purchased the Amoeba. I compared the Amoeba to several HIDs, several Halogens, and several other LEDs. The results were not conclusive, but I think they help give you an idea of the comparative brightness of various set ups.
Check out the link here.:thumbsup:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=366296

·
Registered
6,485 Posts
Sasquatch said:
I posted a mini light shoot out last year after I purchased the Amoeba. I compared the Amoeba to several HIDs, several Halogens, and several other LEDs. The results were not conclusive, but I think they help give you an idea of the comparative brightness of various set ups.
Check out the link here.:thumbsup:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=366296
Sasq, It's been a while since there have been any new beam photos of the Amoeba. Is there any way you can take some more comparison shots say on some open Single track or service road? I know it's winter and taking beam shots in the winter is a PITA. If you have any high power torches to compare it with that would be nice. Since you did post of photo of the Amoeba with spot optic it would be nice to see if it can throw beyond 100ft....Scar, if you are offering any new end-of-year deals on the Amoeba's now is the time to chime in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.