Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a couple from a supplier to weigh 'em, and use 'em for a couple project builds. For a bar that retails for $42 cdn (about $30US), its 190 grams for a carbon wrapped/6061T6 core bar, with 30mm rise, 630mm width and I think its a 9 degree sweep. Downright bargain as far as lightweight XC risers go.

·
10,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well amoeba parts has a website so presumably they've got US dealers, but if you can't find one I suppose I could sell ya one. They actually claim 170g on the website and the bar, but just like FSA, Titec (remember the 118 Ti bar that didn't include the needed shims in the 118g weight), Easton and countless others, telling the truth doesn't sell as much as lying.about the weight. As I recall, my Easton Monkeylite carbon riser (original version, the 40mm rise model) was about 10g heavier than what was claimed and decaled on the bar, even after I cut the width down a bit.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Mach said:
Weight: 138g

• Material: Carbon Fiber
• Color: Natural Carbon Fiber
• Length: 23"
• Sweep: 5 deg
$39 bux pricepoint
Good price, but its a straight bar. The riser is $49.98 (still a good deal)

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
yup!

Im a big fan of the Carbon rapped AL stuff, cuz it wont just snap like the carbon does. I actually had the 10 dollar zoom bars for two years, with no problems. (actually the carbon broke of on one corner, so it just AL now, hehe,)

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Whats the point of having a bar wrapped in carbon exactly? You could save more weight by taking the carbon weave off....

I assume the carbon is merely for aesthetic purposes?

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
Al

the AL is really thin, the carbon reinforces it. (So less flex, i assume) Sort of like the road bikes that have carbon reinforced AL rears. (And it absorbs some vibration too)

·
10,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trevor! said:
Whats the point of having a bar wrapped in carbon exactly? You could save more weight by taking the carbon weave off....

I assume the carbon is merely for aesthetic purposes?
Same thing to mix construction of any part with carbon, you get a stronger part without the penalty of the catastrophic failure when one material finally lets go (and you get a warning sign if the outer material fails first). Years ago during a handlebar test bicycling mag did, they tested the rocket science Wingz bar, which was 6061T6 Al outer bar with a carbon fiber core (the Titus Exogrid frame tubes use the same idea), and the Al outer after 5,980 cycles of their fatigue test, and the carbon failed at 15,730 cycles. The impact failure of the bar in the drop test was 350 pounds. This in a 125 gram flat bar that cost $80. No other pure Al flat bar in the test was as light and the ones closest in weight failed a LOT sooner. Heck, two of the heavier ones (both 144.2 grams), the Scott AT-1 LF (7075T6 Al) and the Specialized Team bar (2014-T6 Al) both did worse in the fatigue test (7,663 cycles for the Scott, 11,767 cycles for the Specialized) and while the Scott did better in the droptest (490 pounds), the specialized did not (280 pounds). The Zoom 170 bar which the heaviest bar in the test, was made from 6061T6 also, weighed 161.6 grams, lasted only 7067 cycles, and only took 315 pounds to fail.

These days, the reason for an Al core with a carbon outer, in handlebars at least, is Al better resists crushing pressure from clamping things to the bar, so it provides an reinforcement for the carbon. All sorts of handlebars have had Al inserts for the bar ends, and in this case, the whole bar gets an Al insert as it were.

You couldn't actually save more weight by ditching the carbon since the carbon has a significantly better strength to weight ratio, than any Al alloy currently in existence. The only way certain "euro" boutique brands turn out stupidlight Al bars is with VERY thin butting sections and a lot of blind faith that they won't get sold in a country where the courts love to blame the manufacturers for failures (USA for example). There's no way in hell some of those bars would ever survive any sort of real testing like bicycling did 10 years ago. Even Easton wouldn't attempt to market an Al bar that light, and they've got more knowledge in aluminium manipulation than anyone in the business. This is why the lightest bars, riser or flat, are made from carbon fiber.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts