Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 335 Posts

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received my Amoeba from Scar.

Shipping took a little while, this was no fault of Jays - just dealing with customs coming into Canada :rolleyes: FYI Jay is super cool to deal with, professional, and has provided tonnes of extra information. And this isn't even his regular job! :thumbsup:

So I go and unpack the box.

1st observation - Damn that battery is small. And light. seriously, the cables weigh more then anything else.

2nd observation - The secondary box packed inside did not contain the lighthead. That was the charger. When I eventually found the light head OMG that is small. That is so small.

3rd observation - Build quality. That is one very nice piece of "home-made" equipment. very slick. And it is light. very light.

4th observation - Do not turn on the light with it pointed at a co-workers face. He will go blind momentarily. Then he will grab the light, and shine it in your own eyes.

I am really looking forward to going home tonight, and mounting this up on my helmet. Will post complete feedback after a few night rides.

Thanks again Jay for what appears to be a really nice product.

Attachments

·
Vertical Member
315 Posts
006_007 said:
Just received my Amoeba from Scar...Thanks again Jay for what appears to be a really nice product.
Not a customer here, but I am very pleased to see someone (Scar) take a hobby and turn it into something that benefits him (income) and other MTBers (affordable lights).

Sounds like win-win to me. I wish there was more of it in the general population.

-uprocks

·
Registered
673 Posts
Can you show the size of the light head against something of universal size to get an actual idea of the size. How's the helmet mount.

I looked it up here and he will sell it w/ the latest LEd's, r2's, 500+ lumens. Looks like a nice light.

MB

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
ditto

cdn-dave said:
Ha, lol! I'm just about to build up a dual SSC myself, now you get me thinking about the 3/4" tubing vs the 1"!
I've always been amazed he can get everything into 3/4" square tubing. I've got a similar button on my LED light using the DIY Done Cheap casing from Il2mb and it's a tight fit.

I was thinking of building up some Dinotte style lights from some aluminum tubing and was worried that it wouldn't fit in the 3/4" round tube. After seeing his lights, it looks quite possible. but I think I'll put the switch inline on the cable.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
Amoebas are great!

006_007 said:
Just received my Amoeba from Scar.
FYI Jay is super cool to deal with, professional, and has provided tonnes of extra information. And this isn't even his regular job! :thumbsup:
1st observation - Damn that battery is small. And light. seriously, the cables weigh more then anything else.
2nd observation - The secondary box packed inside did not contain the lighthead. That was the charger. When I eventually found the light head OMG that is small. That is so small.
3rd observation - Build quality. That is one very nice piece of "home-made" equipment. very slick. And it is light. very light.
Thanks again Jay for what appears to be a really nice product.

I bought an Amoeba back in December, and continue to be very happy with it. Scar was very easy to deal with, answering my many questions promptly. His light is so small and light that you can use velcro to hold the light and the battery to your bike or helmet. Jay has also hooked up my riding buddy with lights, and he is selling his dual HID set-up because he loves the Amoebas so much.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally put the skis away and spent some time riding. Just did my first night ride with the Amoeba.

As the ride started before sunset i did not use the light for the climb up (would have been nice to see if there was any overheating issues during a 45 min uphill grind - I climb real slow)

I really liked how light it was. I honestly did not notice it on my helmet. I did find the trailtech connector difficult to connect with the helmet on my head, but once used to it it will be fine.

The switching on/off was easy to find/manipulate even with gloves on.

I was very impressed with the light output. I use a lupine betty on the bar, and no, the Amoeba was not as bright as that, there were several times where I turned off the betty and ran just the Amoeba to see how it performed. If I had not already sunk the $$$ for the betty I would be getting a second Amoeba for the bars instead.

I have already started to let my group of riders know that if they are looking for lights to seriously consider the Amoeba. I experienced no overheating, good runtime, excellent light quality, and excellent ease of use.

Excellent work Jay - a REALLY nice product you have. Now I just need some good ole Vancouver wet coast rain so I can test them with rain forest moisture.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Thanks for the review - I just ordered one for myself and a friend of mine. Did you purchase the spot or flood version? I went with the flood myself thinking i might eventually add a spot.

and as everyone asks - the next time you are out you should take some pics of that new light in action. From the other pictures i have seen the Amobea puts out a lot of light for it's size but nothing could compare to that betty - it must be like day light riding with that thing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kaikara said:
Thanks for the review - I just ordered one for myself and a friend of mine. Did you purchase the spot or flood version? I went with the flood myself thinking i might eventually add a spot.

and as everyone asks - the next time you are out you should take some pics of that new light in action. From the other pictures i have seen the Amobea puts out a lot of light for it's size but nothing could compare to that betty - it must be like day light riding with that thing :thumbsup:
I think I went with the spot version (Jay will chime in and confirm I am sure!). I figured the Betty acts as my flood on the bars, and I wanted a spot on my head to help "peek" around corners etc.

Nighttime pics it is really tough to tell what is going on IMHO. Depends on the camera, moonlight, background settings, humidity etc. Really not an honest method to capture the performance of a light. If there was a standard camera/camera settings that everyone uses then maybe I can try it?

As I stated, I was very impressed with the light output - yes the betty has more, but it primarily is just a "fuller" light (no faded areas). $ per $ I give the thumbs up to the Amoeba. Unless you are a 24hr/endurance racer or someone like me that likes to spend $ on the coolest gadgets I dont think a betty is the best option out there. Plus the betty is HEAVY (as a head unit). I felt like a bobble head when I had it attached to my helmet!

Granted, my neck/back are still a bit sensitive from an incident at Whistler a few years back that landed me in hospital with compressed/fractured t2/3 but I really noticed the 200g diff in weight between the betty/Amoeba.

I am certain you will be happy with your investment in the Amoeba.

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
006_007 - You ordered and received the SSC P4 flood Amoeba. The SSC/floods have the smooth reflectors and the Cree/spots have the faceted reflectors.

I actually think the Amoeba can and has filled some peoples needs in the 24 hour and endurance race scene. I had two guys run the Amoeba(s) in the 24hrs of Old Pueblo in the solo class. One would have finished somewhere around 24th out of over 100 solo riders, except for some confusion on how to officially end the race before noon. The other finished 10th in the solo class. Both mentioned that they never noticed that they were wearing a light on their helmet, even after doing several hours of straight night time riding. Depending on how much battery you want to carry on you at one time, you can get 3, 6, and even 10 hour runtimes. Extra non-propriatary batteries are very reasonable in price. I am currently getting a couple of racers set-up with Amoeba's for the 24 Hours of E-Rock in Castle Rock, CO at the begining of June.

·
surfer w/out waves
613 Posts
DIY lights have always fascinated me... and in all my hobbies and jobs I've needed lighting at somepoint... whether it's SCUBA or working at a busy nightclub or riding my bike when I'm not too busy chasing crooks at night!!!

However, why would I struggle to make my own when I could have what looks like a fantastic piece of engineering in such a small package!!!

Definitely on my list when I start to do some night rides!!!!

·
Registered
9,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not surprised some people are using the Amoeba for endurance racing due to all the items you listed below. If I ever decide to do an endurance event all I have to do is get extra batteries (currently ~ $40/per?). Oh ya, get some strong legs as well :rolleyes:

scar said:
006_007 - You ordered and received the SSC P4 flood Amoeba. The SSC/floods have the smooth reflectors and the Cree/spots have the faceted reflectors.

I actually think the Amoeba can and has filled some peoples needs in the 24 hour and endurance race scene. I had two guys run the Amoeba(s) in the 24hrs of Old Pueblo in the solo class. One would have finished somewhere around 24th out of over 100 solo riders, except for some confusion on how to officially end the race before noon. The other finished 10th in the solo class. Both mentioned that they never noticed that they were wearing a light on their helmet, even after doing several hours of straight night time riding. Depending on how much battery you want to carry on you at one time, you can get 3, 6, and even 10 hour runtimes. Extra non-propriatary batteries are very reasonable in price. I am currently getting a couple of racers set-up with Amoeba's for the 24 Hours of E-Rock in Castle Rock, CO at the begining of June.

·
Tree Hugger
2,946 Posts
006_007 said:
Excellent work Jay - a REALLY nice product you have. Now I just need some good ole Vancouver wet coast rain so I can test them with rain forest moisture.

Here in Oregon, a couple of Amoebas were in use all winter, and there have been no problems with rain and snow so far!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Just got mine delivered today and I am very impressed. I got two of the same flood model for friend and I The pictures don't do it justice in showing how small they really are. They also put off a lot of light for the size. The construction is great and they feel really solid. I ran it for about 15 minutes sitting on my desk and they get hot but not so hot that you can't touch them. With some airflow going over them they will be fine. I can't wait to test them out on the trails.

I will take some more pics myself when I get a chance. Here is the one that Scar/Jay sent me. Also he is a great guy to deal with answering my my inane questions :thumbsup:

·
Registered
710 Posts
So I am still itching to get out for a night ride with my Amoeba but in the meantime I got them all mounted up to an extra helmet I had to test out positioning. I think the neighbors thought I was a little nuts when I was in the backyard with a helmet with light on top last night. Took some pics of the setup and everything is great. Hopefully will get a night ride in this weekend.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Great light, good value. He really put everything you need to set it up in the box. My friends referred to it as the sun. Cars didn't know what to make of it and would slow way down or stop and wait for us. Worked great out in the country, the trails, and in town to shine drunk kids and cop cars. I got the spot with the Q5's, BTW. I asked Scar on Sunday to try to get it to me on Thursday and he succeeded and it was great having it on the ride. Thanks Scar

1 - 20 of 335 Posts