Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
I hope it comes back as I am interested in doing this race at some point. It just didn't work out in the calendar this year.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've read the comments in the Velonews.com article and have noticed a pattern. Anyone who's race is cancelled blames the economy, but... there are lot's and lot's of races out there that are filled to the brim. Just yesterday I contacted a race promoter for an endurance event coming up in early August to see what the odds might be that I could get in on the wait list. 300+ folks on a wait list for an event with a 450 rider limit. Heck, they could just do the event two days in a row.

Anyway, it's one thing if you can't raise the necessary sponsorship funds in today's economy, but I think promoters who are canceling events due to low pre-registration numbers are doing themselves a great disservice by blaming the economy for the low pre-reg numbers as it will stop them for looking for other, perhaps more telling reasons as to why folks aren't signing for their events.

I only mentioned one specific event earlier, but I have looked into quite a few events coming up in the next few months and had looked into a few events earlier this year as well. My experience at trying to get into some of the more popular endurance events leads me to conclude that there is some pretty big demand out there for the right events.

Perhaps the real story is that there really isn't that much demand for mtb stage races.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scooter,

I was thinking pretty much the same thing, although I am sure the economy may have a little bit to do with it (perhaps in big dollar sponsors). It is a really expensive race ($350 entry fee) and then throw in lodging, travel, etc. and it is no cheap endeavor. Plus there is the time factor. I would guess most people doing those types of races have families and a four day bike race is a hard sell at home.

I also wonder whether the fact that they seem to be trying to attract the pro racers with the big prize purse hurts in some ways. That requires more sponsor money and higher entrance fees, whereas the bread and butter of the endurance racers are not the pro level riders.

I would guess they would get more participants with a one or two day race with entrance fees around $150.

I do hope it comes back because I would like to do it at some point.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Fishlips said:
Scooter,

I was thinking pretty much the same thing, although I am sure the economy may have a little bit to do with it (perhaps in big dollar sponsors). It is a really expensive race ($350 entry fee) and then throw in lodging, travel, etc. and it is no cheap endeavor. Plus there is the time factor. I would guess most people doing those types of races have families and a four day bike race is a hard sell at home.

I also wonder whether the fact that they seem to be trying to attract the pro racers with the big prize purse hurts in some ways. That requires more sponsor money and higher entrance fees, whereas the bread and butter of the endurance racers are not the pro level riders.

I would guess they would get more participants with a one or two day race with entrance fees around $150.

I do hope it comes back because I would like to do it at some point.
Here's something to ponder: the inaugural Breck Epic is charging essentially $165 per day of racing and they're getting pre-reg'd out the wazoo!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scooter2468 said:
Here's something to ponder: the inaugural Breck Epic is charging essentially $165 per day of racing and they're getting pre-reg'd out the wazoo!
Wow that is expensive, but sounds awesome. The schwag and level of organization seems very impressive. I definitely want to do that race. That also suggests that the AMC registration price is not necessarily out of line. So what then was the problem? I wonder if location has something to do with it? Marketing? Dates? Too many similar better established events? Better name (I am not too hot on the American Mountain Classic - needs the word "epic" in it -- just kidding)?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I don't think $350 for a 4day? stage race is really expensive. The logistics (food, lodging, travel) may be expensive, but the entry fee doesn't sound too steep. If you wind up with 4 days at altitude and a good amount of miles and awards, etc. then it doesn't seem bad.

I honestly haven't looked into prices, though, so I could be off-base.

I also wanted to do this in the future, but it didn't fit into the schedule this year!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Fishlips said:
Wow that is expensive, but sounds awesome. The schwag and level of organization seems very impressive. I definitely want to do that race. That also suggests that the AMC registration price is not necessarily out of line. So what then was the problem? I wonder if location has something to do with it? Marketing? Dates? Too many similar better established events? Better name (I am not too hot on the American Mountain Classic - needs the word "epic" in it -- just kidding)?
I haven't a clue as to why the AMC wasn't getting the sort of pre-interest that the Breck Epic is. I guess my original point is that if the promoters of the AMC (or any other cancelled event) just write it off as due to the economy, they won't really know why and therefore they won't really know what to improve on. Blaming the economy is a cop out, I think.

·
giddy up!
3,249 Posts
What I truly cannot understand is why they started promoting this event over the Brianhead 100. I did the 100 twice.....huge turnout and the race seemed to be a huge success. Then.....they cancel the 100 in favor of the stage race....and now they cancel the stage race due to tough economic times???

I say bring back the Brianhead 100......I bet you they would have 200+ preregistered.

B

·
Registered
126 Posts
Cancelled eh?

As a registered racer, it's interesting to find out that the race is cancelled on mtbr and velonews and not from the race director. Would have preferred the latter.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
suffer fest said:
As a registered racer, it's interesting to find out that the race is cancelled on mtbr and velonews and not from the race director. Would have preferred the latter.
Ouch. Did you get your money back?

I really do feel bad for the promoters, what a nightmare. I agree with Scooter though, it probably was not the economy that killed it. Most endurance events I know of are turning people away. Heck they just did a running relay event here that cost $1000 for a team of 12 and they supposedly had over 650 teams participate.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not yet but I did get a quick response from the organizer and they are working on it.

Overall, I'm bummed. I think this race was going to be killer. The numbers argument is a tough one. Money is certainly involved but not the whole story. Many people may have thought Breckenridge Colorado vs. Brian Head UT (insert other race venues in place of Breck) when they were planning their race schedule. Without a lot of hype from the riding community and advertising from the directors, Brian Head will be a tough sell over many of the other race venues.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think a more logical option would have been to send out a "Heads Up" that the race is in danger of being cancelled. I think there were quite a few people waiting to sign up, and were not aware of the urgency....

Looking to do it next year.

Jens

1 - 13 of 13 Posts