Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
American Classic Wide Lightning or Light Bicycle 35mm Carbon?

Trying to get the most out of my upgrade $, while shaving some grams off my stock wheels for my 27.5 rig. I'm 200lbs and an aggressive (but not insane) trail/AM rider looking for a wider rim.

The LB wheels are very popular on the site but I am having a hard time getting past dealing with a Chinese company, compared to a "reputable" US company. I'm also concerned about durability of the carbon rims compared to aluminum. Lots of rock gardens where I ride, and the occasional big hit. Should I even worry about that?

The Wide Lightning is just as light as the carbon wheels. Will they be as stiff? Should I be concerned with the short rim side wall.

With Hope hubs on the LB hoops they are just under $900 delivered. I can get the AC's for about $770 at my LBS. Have to keep it under $900 bucks though.

Thanks for your inputs!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Didn't get any inputs... Still curious what others with more experience than I think...

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got AM Classic Hubs, much lighter than Hope and they've been reliable since a warranty pawl mod.

Consider them if you go for the ****** carbon rims.

Not sure I'd be willing to risk myself on those cheap carbon rims tbh I'd personally go for the AMC wheelset to be on the safe side. Not exactly heavy are they.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
The only downside I can see with the AC Wide Lightening is having aluminum rim that thin and light is going to affect long term durability. Throw in your 200# weight and you are probably going to sacrifice something.

I would really recommend you consider a handbuilt wheelset with something like Arch EX, WTB KOM, or Pacenti TL28 rims. Use Sapim CX Rays and aluminum Polyax nipples and get them built up with AC Hubs (though you will sacrifice engagement and some convertibility versus Hope) for some very light wheels that don't sacrifice durability.

I did a mock build up with WTB KOM 650b rims, CX Rays, Polyax nipples, and AC hubs for $874 and 1418 grams.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ran these wheels for the first couple months of this past year. In that time I broke 3 rear wheels, one in the desert and the others on our local trails. I would classify these wheels as a very light duty XC wheel. Our riding styles and terrain sound similar so I would highly recommend against running this wheel set. I upgraded to a Stans Flow and have been very happy.
Sorry if this is too late.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts