Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a new wheelset, and exploring ordering from Stans. I don't know much about the Stans rear hub, and trying to keep prices down.

Anybody have any good or bad experience with American Classic SS rear hub?

·
General industry guy
51 Posts
Let me preface this by saying that I'm not positive that the AC SS hub uses the same mechanism that their normal cassette hub does. If it does, however, I'm not impressed with the engagement system. In the normal cassette hub, the pawls don't actually contact the hub shell when coasting. This is fine in theory. However, the mechanism that re-engages the pawls when you begin pedaling is nothing more than a small wire, which engages a cam plate, which then engages the pawls. In my experience as a mechanic, this is a frail system that often fails to work correctly or just plain breaks (under a lot of force, I've seen the small wire break off). I know there are lots of folks who like the AC hubs for their light weight - however, I'll take a little more weight in exchange for solid, unquestionable engagement. DT Swiss, for example.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've had an Am. Classic SS hub in service for well over 4 years now. End of the first year I replaced the bearings with ceramic and that eliminated the only complaint I had. (The stock ones were rough from day one.)

It has been retired to my urban SS'er and is still rolling without complaint. I have two others that are geared, one being 4 months new with no issues and another about 3 years still going strong.
Working in a shop several years ago I came across one Am Classic that just would not work right. (a geared version)
I was replaced under warranty and never heard from again.

I have had Shimano XT, XTR, White Inustries and Kings fail in my own possession leaving me stranded on the trail.
I have seen more Shimano hubs break than any other but there are WAY more of those in service than likely any other so what does that say?

·
What?
80 Posts
I have 2 rides worth of experience with mine. 1. I can notice the slow engagement(didn't think I would) I also switched to a 32/18 from 32/16, which may make it more pronounced. 2. the rear wheel is as light as the front. I also ended up with a QR, which constantly slips in the dropouts. I have wheel slammers to cure that problem though. Bearings seem smooth. I would give them a 3 out of 5. There are better hubs for the money. I don't think there are lighter ones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.