Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 70 mile solstice ride in the rain did a number on my American Classic wheelset. I pretty much expected this, but thought I would test them in worst case conditions. They have worked great in dry racing conditions, but riding for hours through "wet trails" (creeks?) ruined the almost new front hub bearings.
The bearings are smaller than the older style AC hubs and the WTB laserdisc lites. This means less weight but also less durability.
The bearing number I removed is #6803-2RS. Anyone know what the 2RS means? I found Enduromax bearings in the QBP catalogue that have the same dimensions, #8803. The main difference is that the Enduromax bearings have a full compliment of bearings (18?), not less bearings (11?) and a retainer. The Enduromax bearings should be more durable, but are they suitable for a hub? Will they cause more drag than new stock bearings?
Anyone have a line on ceramic bearings that don't cost too much? I.D.=21.5mm, O.D.=31mm, W=7mm.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
2RS = two rubber seals

I would use the Enduro Max bearings. They are meant for hub use. Drag should not be an issue.

Ceramic bearings and "don't cost too much" are mutually exclusive.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
schnapmaster said:
... The main difference is that the Enduromax bearings have a full compliment of bearings (18?), not less bearings (11?) and a retainer. The Enduromax bearings should be more durable, but are they suitable for a hub? Will they cause more drag than new stock bearings?....
Max bearings should be fine for your hubs. The bench racer theory is "max" bearings leave less room for lubricant and go dry quicker. If you are having wet weather problems there are Enduro Max Wet Weather bearings, i googled them and they only come up on the Actiontec site, not sure where to get them. Normally the end all bearing are the Phil Wood's but they don't make a 6803 size :( .
schnapmaster said:
...Anyone have a line on ceramic bearings that don't cost too much? I.D.=21.5mm, O.D.=31mm, W=7mm.
Don't, I repeat, Don't cheap out on bearings, i just ruined a Ti BB using cheap bearings.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Two different numbers usually equals different bearings...

Double-check that all the dimensions are really identical before substituting a different I.D.# bearing for the stock item. The other bearing might be designed to accept loading from a different direction too, so unless you are 100% sure what you are doing I would stick with the stock item #. You need to be certain that the bearing is sealed appropriately too, since a # XXXX bearing might be the right size but might have rubber seals, metal shields, or nothing at all on the ends.

A source for ceramic bearings appropriate for bicycle applications is www.bocabearing.com. They aren't cheap but for the front hub you only need two.

(P.S. The dimensions you listed aren't correct for the 6803 (Am Classic) bearings we are discussing. If you also needed a different sized bearing for a different application, no prob. Just wanted to mention it.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts