Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm working on a rebuild of a 2001 K2 Razorback, including an update from 3x9 to 1x11 (XT components). The rear wheel is 26", disc-only, and use a ~173mm QR skewer. The bike was 26 lbs and I hope to keep it at or under that weight.

I was planning to use the AC 350 Disc wheels from my beloved 2006 K2 Apache 6.0. I really like the AC 350 - lightweight (about 800g) and has kept true. But the freehub needs replacing and the hub could use a service.

There are a lot of wheel/wheelsets out there for sale, but in this price range, almost never mention weight. Those that do seem to run 1000-1300g for the rear wheel. Colorado Cyclist has a custom build, Shimano XT with Mavic XM 119 rims for $120 (no weight is provided). [edit] I would need to buy CenterLock rotors or an adapter with that XT hub, however, running me an additional $15-50 bucks. [/edit]

I'd prefer to keep the rear wheel cost under US$200, but would get a set if it made sense to do so.

What do you think: is there any value in servicing the AC 350 hub and replacing the freehub, or is it time for a new wheel? Any suggestions for a wheel under 1000g?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you find parts for the AC hub?

I have AC hubs on my old bike.
Good question. The "350" has several iterations and with several updates on the 225 hub, making it somewhat difficult for a casual wrench like me to figure out. They stopped supporting parts for what I think is my version of the 225 hub (https://amclassic.com/index.php/dow...t/0/identify_rear_disc_hub_what_do_i_have.pdf) and the company was/is shutting down or getting new owners (https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ind...oses-factory-puts-ip-assets-sale#.XNh7S45KhPZ). Ominous, but I would rather get this serviced if possible than buy a new wheel.

The service procedure is daunting for me: perhaps I should take it to a LBS and see if they can do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.