Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting short article in the Economist. This is one reason why I'm not a huge fan of road riding. Those little white lines are less protection than we think.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

With a very few exceptions, America is no place for cyclists

Dying while cycling is three to five times more likely in America than in Denmark, Germany or the Netherlands. To understand why, consider the death of Michael Wang. He was pedalling home from work in Seattle on a sunny weekday afternoon in late July when, witnesses say, a brown SUV made a left turn, crunched into Wang and sped away.
The road where the 44-year-old father of two was hit is the busiest cycling corridor in Seattle, and it has clearly marked bicycle lanes. But the lanes are protected from motor vehicles by a line of white paint—a largely metaphorical barrier that many drivers ignore and police do not vigorously enforce. A few feet from the cycling lane traffic moves at speeds of between 30 miles per hour, the speed limit for arterials in Seattle, and 40 miles per hour, the speed at which many cars actually travel. This kind of speed kills. A pedestrian hit by a car moving at 30mph has a 45% chance of dying; at 40mph, the chance of death is 85%, according to Britain’s Department of Transport.
Had Mr Wang been commuting on a busy bike route in Amsterdam, Copenhagen or Berlin, his unprotected exposure to instruments of death—namely, any vehicle moving at 20mph or more—would be nearly nil. These cities have knitted together networks for everyday travel by bike. To start with, motor vehicles allowed near cyclists are subject to “traffic calming”. They must slow down to about 19mph, a speed that, in case of collision, kills less than 5%. Police strictly enforce these speed limits with hefty fines. Repeat offenders lose their licences.

Calmer traffic is just the beginning. In much of northern Europe, cyclists commute on lanes that are protected from cars by concrete buffers, rows of trees or parked cars. At busy crossroads, bicycle-activated traffic lights let cyclists cross first. Traffic laws discriminate in favour of people on bikes. A few American cities have taken European-style steps to make streets safer for cycling, most notably Portland, Oregon, which has used most of the above ideas. The result: more bikes and fewer deaths. Nearly 6% of commuters bike to work in Portland, the highest proportion in America. But in five out of the past ten years there have been no cycling deaths there. In the nearby Seattle area, where cycling is popular but traffic calming is not, three cyclists, have been killed in the past few weeks.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It's awful when people get hit, but I'll never buy the "this is why I don't ride on the road" argument.
I road ride and commute because I really enjoy it. Whether it's a safe activity or not is not why people make the decision to road ride.
In my 12+ years of consistent bike commuting in Chicago and Phoenix I've never had a seroius injury (and only a couple minor injuries) and I've only known 2 people to have a seroius injury while road riding.
In my 5 years or MTBing I've had many minor injuries, and have known many people who have had serious injuries (spinal injuries, broken bones, etc).
For me, road biking is a safer activity that MTBing, but I'm not going to give up MTBing because of that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
With very few exceptions,America is not Denmark.

So,get the f*** over it.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
And the hits just keep on comin'

"A bicyclist is injured after being struck by a vehicle Saturday morning in north Phoenix, officials said.

The accident occurred around 9 a.m. near Jomax and Cave Creek roads, said Frank Salomon, deputy chief with the Phoenix Fire Department.

The person on the bike was flown to St. Joseph's Hospital, Salomon said. The person was breathing when first responders arrived on scene, he said.

Impairment did not appear to be a factor in the crash, said Phoenix police spokesman Steve Martos.

Cave Creek Road between Pinnacle Peak and Jomax was expected to be closed for a few hours, he said

No other details about the victim or the accident were released. Officials are investigating."

·
G.O.B.
10 Posts
Lines and Laws...there is always someone willing to cross one if not both. But why is it "crossing the line" and "breaking the law", why not "break the line" and cross the law"?

...mystery continues.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Bikes are struck by cars on a regular basis in Phoenix/Scottsdale. Their injuries are bad and frequently life threatening. I see them regularly.

You are in control of how fast and how much risk you take on a mountain bike. You are not in control of the cars. Many of the people struck are experienced riders.

While mountain biking is definatly dangerous, probably even more frequent injuries, there are less fatalities and life changing injuries. That is why I don't ride on the road.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I've been hit a couple times. Once not very far from where the guy in the article was hit. And it turns out the police found it be an intentional thing. Might of had something to do with the fact that I had his passenger mirror in my hands when the cops showed up.

Motorists for the most part are "cagers." You get in, you turn out of reality.

·
parenting for gnarness
6,251 Posts
you had me at 'The Economist'

best wishes to the victim and family.

I wish there was something to do when in a car you see people disregarding the line. Its usually because there is no risk, but i find the sloppy habits frightening. My wife, also a cyclist, is one of those sloppy-habitted drivers and we have argued over it.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
This summer I have seen more news on hikers and bikers being rescued than I have from real cyclists being hit. By real cyclists I mean those that take what they are doing seriously (please don't hijack this dudes thread trying to pick apart what I mean) and not the white trash DUI guy on the gas powered bike.

Life is dangerous, dress accordingly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting short article. Also interesting to think about, that most of us drive around in congested population centers at speeds that are fatal to pedestrians and cyclists, 40mph or better. If you bike on the streets, beware the Iron death machines and install some eyeballs in the back of your head.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I recently started biking in Tempe. I've always been hesitant to ride in the bike lanes, and this article isn't helping things. At least it's legal to ride on the sidewalks here...

·
Eroding into the trail
897 Posts
Tucson man arrested in bike hit-and-run

Tucson

9-5-11
AZ Republic

"A Tucson man has been arrested in connection with a fatal hit-and-run accident involving a bicyclist.
Albert Eugene Brack, 56, was struck around 9 a.m. Sunday while riding his bike. He was taken to a hospital, where he later died of his injuries.
Police said that officers located the pickup truck involved in the accident and found the driver on foot a short time later.
Edward Gomez Nava, 48, has been booked into the Pima County Jail on suspicion of second-degree murder, leaving the scene of a fatal collision and criminal damage.
Police said Brack was wearing a helmet and riding in a bicycle lane when he was hit from behind."

:madmax: And another one of us bites the dust thanks to the ID10T factor! :madman:

Accident my arse! :madmax:

Here's to you EGN and I think that this speaks for all of us!

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wait a minute.Ive been on here since 2005 or something and 2 whiney crybabies dont like that Denmark shouldnt be the standard in the way we exist in America,and this sends me into negative rep points?

Well you can take your lame popularity contest and shove it up your clean shaven ,roadie,a55.(Hows that for American rhetoric?)

Everyone who reads this ,please negative rep me.Ill be in the back of the bus,chucking spitballs at the euro-loving dweebs.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Hey- I like Denmark because it has Amsterdam, but didn't neg you out!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
had to give you some some Scary-I am a Vet that fought for all of our rights to voice our opinion, whether popular or not. Stay Gold!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts