Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
VRC Illuminati
17,655 Posts
Gum wall, tan wall...

I'd like to think they're poised for a comeback, though I have nothing to back this up.

There wasn't a definitive point in time when skinwalls went away, and blackwalls were it...it was gradual.

I want to say that blackwall tires are tougher and more resistant to puncture/damage. Finding skinwalls that aren't dried out is difficult.

FirstFlightBikes has about your only option for a modern skinwall that is fresh and safe for trail use.

·
Banned
2,989 Posts
They are all over the place you just need to know where to work. I bought new from a bike shop in the last month and three on eBay as well.

·
mountaingoatcycles.com
2,354 Posts
gm1230126 said:
They are all over the place you just need to know where to work. I bought new from a bike shop in the last month and three on eBay as well.
The problem with the "original" tires is that most of them are at least 10 years old. If they have been stored properly, the may be usable but most tires are not stored in ideal conditions. We are seeing a lot of bike coming in that have sat for 5-10 years and the tires are all pretty rotten.

As far as I have been able to find, we have the only new alternative http://www.firstflightbikes.com/TimbukTire.htm

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Rumpfy said:
Gum wall, tan wall...

I'd like to think they're poised for a comeback, though I have nothing to back this up.
I'm looking forward to getting some of the FF Zmax re-pops, and know about their Timbuk IIs, but has anyone else noticed if anything new has come out in the past couple of years?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Specialized has some Rhythm's with gum walls on sale for $20.

Never really liked gum walls, a bit too dated for me. My original Specialized Crossroads were gum walls. The black rubber looked OK but the gum walls were all rotted out to the point you could see the tubes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.