Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always a bit leery when I see riders report with wild enthusiasm about a frame or shock or whatever, and then have them comment that they have only ridden it once, and that was on pavement, but STILL...

Having said that, I just HAVE to comment on the Turner 5-Spot I built up Sunday, after having ridden only 30 miles of desert/mountain single-track.

I have the good fortune to have a garage full of mountain bikes, which I mention only to give you an idea of what I ride regularly that I am comparing the 5-Spot to. I have an 02 Ellsworth Truth with 4” of travel front and rear, built up at about 26 lbs. I have an 01 Maverick-American ML-7 with 4” rear travel and 130mm front travel (Manitou Minute Three air fork), built up at about 27 lbs. Finally I have an 04 Ellsworth Id, with 6” rear travel and a 130mm Manitou Sherman Firefly fork (20mm Thru-axle), built up to about 32 lbs.

I use the Truth for Arizona XC riding and racing, the Id for light-moderate downhill trail riding, and the Maverick as an all purpose trail bike. I like them all, and am especially in love with the Maverick, which climbs like a demon and tracks smoothly on fairly rough downhill trails as well. Anybody would be happy and satisfied (well anybody but me) to own these bikes, and if I could only have one of them the Maverick would clearly be the one I would keep for general purposes.

However, I keep reading report after report of what a tremendous all trail bike the Turner 5-Spot is, and how it can climb and descend with equal dexterity, like no other bike. I’m not fanatically loyal to any particular bike maker, I am just seeking the best riding bike I can find, and thought that the 5-Spot might fill a niche (however small) that I didn’t already have covered.

I got a medium 2004 5-Spot frame, and built it up at 29+lbs with a Minute Three 130mm SPV fork, Avid Mech disc brakes, Race Face Next LP cranks, SRAM shifters and RD, XT front derailleur and Chris King/Mavic XM819 UST wheels with UST tires.

When I rode it for the first time yesterday, it felt like I had been on it for months. It fit like it was a custom frame and the balance and control were unlike anything I have ridden. In the 30 miles of trails I rode, I have cleaned four different technical spots that I had NEVER CLEANED BEFORE, and the over-all feeling of the suspension is unparalleled. For me, the Spot climbs even easier than the Maverick, and handles much more nimbly.

For the most part, I have always felt it is the rider that makes the difference, not the bike, but I must admit that in my brief trial on the 5-Spot it makes an amazing difference to this rider. I hope it just keeps getting better.

John W.

· Registered
3,088 Posts
It's times like this when the need for a moderator on this forum becomes painfully obvious- this is the perfect candidate for a "sticky" post so that it is always handy to reference when the S.O. doesn't see the need for yet another bike.

· Registered
7,026 Posts
papajohn said:
I am always a bit leery when I see riders report with wild enthusiasm about a frame or shock or whatever, and then have them comment that they have only ridden it once, and that was on pavement, but STILL...

Having said that, I just HAVE to comment on the Turner 5-Spot I built up Sunday, after having ridden only 30 miles of desert/mountain single-track.

I have the good fortune to have a garage full of mountain bikes, which I mention only to give you an idea of what I ride regularly that I am comparing the 5-Spot to. I have an 02 Ellsworth Truth with 4" of travel front and rear, built up at about 26 lbs. I have an 01 Maverick-American ML-7 with 4" rear travel and 130mm front travel (Manitou Minute Three air fork), built up at about 27 lbs. Finally I have an 04 Ellsworth Id, with 6" rear travel and a 130mm Manitou Sherman Firefly fork (20mm Thru-axle), built up to about 32 lbs.

I use the Truth for Arizona XC riding and racing, the Id for light-moderate downhill trail riding, and the Maverick as an all purpose trail bike. I like them all, and am especially in love with the Maverick, which climbs like a demon and tracks smoothly on fairly rough downhill trails as well. Anybody would be happy and satisfied (well anybody but me) to own these bikes, and if I could only have one of them the Maverick would clearly be the one I would keep for general purposes.

However, I keep reading report after report of what a tremendous all trail bike the Turner 5-Spot is, and how it can climb and descend with equal dexterity, like no other bike. I'm not fanatically loyal to any particular bike maker, I am just seeking the best riding bike I can find, and thought that the 5-Spot might fill a niche (however small) that I didn't already have covered.

I got a medium 2004 5-Spot frame, and built it up at 29+lbs with a Minute Three 130mm SPV fork, Avid Mech disc brakes, Race Face Next LP cranks, SRAM shifters and RD, XT front derailleur and Chris King/Mavic XM819 UST wheels with UST tires.

When I rode it for the first time yesterday, it felt like I had been on it for months. It fit like it was a custom frame and the balance and control were unlike anything I have ridden. In the 30 miles of trails I rode, I have cleaned four different technical spots that I had NEVER CLEANED BEFORE, and the over-all feeling of the suspension is unparalleled. For me, the Spot climbs even easier than the Maverick, and handles much more nimbly.

For the most part, I have always felt it is the rider that makes the difference, not the bike, but I must admit that in my brief trial on the 5-Spot it makes an amazing difference to this rider. I hope it just keeps getting better.

John W.
.............HOMER alert! HOMER alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............paging Jaybo to the red courtesy phone...........:p

.....in all seriousness, welcome home friend!!!;)

· Bon Vie
624 Posts
Smiles for miles

A story repeated many times before. I've been on my Spot for 4 months and can't see owning anything other thean a Turner crafted bike from here on ;) . So my friend, welcome aboard. Now the serious fun begins with smiles for miles :D .

· mad aussie
1,128 Posts
All those bikes!

Maverick ML7, Truth, Id......

are you adopting? :D I promise that I am fully house trained!

Seriously, I felt the same way about my 5-spot, and I have owned a Loco Moto, Racer-X, Orange 5 previously. All were good bikes (especially the Racer-X when I was racing XC seriously) but the 5-spot works for me the best.

· Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
Restricted dialog...

papajohn said:
...a love fest like this has been banned in eight states....(particularly the state of Ellsworthia:D )

Dude, the most surprising thing here is your stable of bikes. DAAAAAAMMMM!!!! I mean I'm envious and have a 5 Spot!

Seriously though, thanks for the insight. It's always interesting to read an owner's thoughts on a new bike. Especially when they have such a broad perspective.

Now of course, you will be branded a rabid Turner Homer...no one will ever believe your opinion on bikes ever again...no one but us of course...btw what color-club will you be joining?:rolleyes:

Y'know a shot of your whole stable would be cool...hint...hint...

· Premium Member
8,934 Posts
That is one impressive stable of bikes. I will second your comments having rode my Burner at Northstar over the fourth of July weekend. I rode down FooDog and the bike felt so natural and confident inspiring that it was unreal. There is no way I would trade that bike for any other full suspension, unless of course it was another Turner.

· Ouch, I am hot!
4,761 Posts
T-SAC - Turner Snob Assassination Clan

Its not really the bike. When the Turner Snob Assassination Clan received notice of your 5-Spot purchase, it sent secret agents to your house to brainwash you. They accomplished their mission. Otherwise they would have had to assassinate you to preserve the Turner name. So far, T-SAC has had virtually a 100% success rate except for Davide, who is protected by the very powerful Weight Weenie Cartel and Jaybo, who is the one exception to every rule.:D I can tell you this because it is so outrageous that no one will actually believe it, thus preserving the secret.;)

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's Good News and There's Bad News...

Bikezilla[size=2 said:
Dude, the most surprising thing here is your stable of bikes. DAAAAAAMMMM!!!! I mean I'm envious and have a 5 Spot![/size]

Now of course, you will be branded a rabid Turner Homer...btw what color-club will you be joining?:rolleyes:

[/size]
I really didn't mean to flaunt all the bikes.

The Good News is that I am retired, all my children are grown and independent, and my wife is totally supportive of the whole bicycling thing. Virtually ALL of my disposable income goes into cycling, and I could and sometimes do ride seven days/week here in the wonderful desert.

The Bad News is that I am an old fart, having already done most of the screaming descent down the other side of the "HILL" that we all go over if we live long enough. At this point I don't know if I will last long enough to test Tony Ellsworth's Lifetime Warranty! With the exception of racing in the Geezer Class, I can't find anyone even close to my age to ride with, and trying to hang with youngsters is getting harder every week.

However, I really do ride all of these bikes, on a kind of rotating basis, along with a SS, a downhill bike, and ...oh hell, this is almost embarrassing. The 5-Spot is a very nice metal flake blue.

What's a Homer? There is alot that goes on in this Turner Forum that goes way over my gray head!

John W.

· Baked Alaskan
1,810 Posts
Damn! That's quite a stable you have. I almost bought a Maverick frame, ditto the Id, went with the Spot and haven't looked backed. Rides tons lighter than the build, ditch your Truth, Id and Mav cause the Spot is now all you'll ever ride.

· Registered
613 Posts
I respect...

...the fact that even though you say that you are "on the other side of the HILL" you are still out moving your mass on a bike on a regular basis instead of parking your ass in a golf cart five days a week. Nothing against golf, but I respect anyone who chooses to remain active well into their senior years. If you want to have a different color bike for every day of the week, you go right ahead. I share your sentiments on the 5 Spot as well and since I got mine three months ago I find myself riding more than ever.

· Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
papajohn said:
I really didn't mean to flaunt all the bikes.

The Good News is that I am retired, .... Virtually ALL of my disposable income goes into cycling, and I could and sometimes do ride seven days/week here in the wonderful desert.

The Bad News is that I am an old fart, having already done most of the screaming descent down the other side of the "HILL" that we all go over if we live long enough.However, I really do ride all of these bikes, on a kind of rotating basis, along with a SS, a downhill bike, and ...oh hell, this is almost embarrassing. The 5-Spot is a very nice metal flake blue.

What's a Homer? There is alot that goes on in this Turner Forum that goes way over my gray head!

John W.
Cool beans! You are a fortunate fellow indeed. And you've earned it all, never stop enjoying what you've achieved.

Some of the dialog here kinda wizzes by eh? Yeah, hang around a bit and you'll get a feel for it...speaking of which, You have another good opportunity...you can be the leader of the "Blue" clan...all you have to do is think up a decent name:D You can't use "Homer" though...that's reserved for all of us...I really never understood it myself but maybe the guy who coined it could explain...as he heaves it at ya.:D

Welcome aboard! Feel free to share your experience, insight, rants and/or rambles anytime.

· Registered
62 Posts
Bikezilla said:
Cool beans! You are a fortunate fellow indeed. And you've earned it all, never stop enjoying what you've achieved.

Some of the dialog here kinda wizzes by eh? Yeah, hang around a bit and you'll get a feel for it...speaking of which, You have another good opportunity...you can be the leader of the "Blue" clan...all you have to do is think up a decent name:D You can't use "Homer" though...that's reserved for all of us...I really never understood it myself but maybe the guy who coined it could explain...as he heaves it at ya.:D

Welcome aboard! Feel free to share your experience, insight, rants and/or rambles anytime.
No doubt he has earned it! I think that I am approaching the top hump of that hill and also ride a blue bike and has been appropriately named. A good friends 12 year old daughter thought of it and it stuck. It's called the BLEWBYU.

· Lay off the Levers
10,130 Posts
49flatfish said:
...also ride a blue bike and has been appropriately named. .... It's called the BLEWBYU.
Funny!

that inspired a suggestion for the Blue Clan...Of course the clan reserves the right to whatever name it chooses...

Blewjobs ? :D

· Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I might have to re-paint my new 5-Spot!

49flatfish said:
:D And then later in the day the name changes to: BLEWBALLS
I can already see that the blue clan is more than half a bubble off plumb. :D

Seriously, it is nice to be welcomed to a forum and to a "clan". It appears this is going to be an interesting crew.

John W.

· Daniel the Dog
6,762 Posts
No kidding. I just puked on myself...

jncarpenter said:
.............HOMER alert! HOMER alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............paging Jaybo to the red courtesy phone...........:p

.....in all seriousness, welcome home friend!!!;)
I feel the same way about this stupid frame. Rides like a flipping dream. I really need to get a life.

Jaybo

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.