Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a weekend project I just converted my 05 Paragon into a single speed. Used a Gusset converter, some spacers and a soulcraft convert. I was really hoping to avoid the Soulcraft, but the magic chain combo just didn't happen for me. The really amazing thing though is how much lighter the bike feels overall after removing the deraillers, extra chainrings etc.. Running a 32t front ring and a 20t novatec cog in the rear. I've got some pretty steep climbs around here so I figure that's about all my legs will handle for the moment.
Here's some pics. And yeah it definitely would be lighter without the thudbuster, but I sort of like my comfort..

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've certainly considered going rigid with the fork

I'm thinking I'll wait and see how the new Bonty 29er forks fair against the competition. The bar ends go when you pry them from my cold dead fingers LOL. I'm an old timer, I like my bar ends for climbing...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Looks good. I recently converted my KM to singlespeed. Just fyi, you should put the chain above the roller on the tensioner.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Looks good. I converted my 02 Mt Tam to a SS about 1.5 years ago and used the soulcraft too. My next change is to a rigid fork. I agree about the chain, run it above the tensioner if you can. I started with a 32x20 then went to a 32x18 and discovered I could still climb just as well and had a little more speed on the flats, but not much more. You can lose the chainstay protection now, no chain slap on a SS.

Now I want a steel 29er SS with horizontal dropouts, like a Walt Works. Someday.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tensioner advice

The tensioner seemed to provide more drag on the chain when running in the up position, I'll play with it and see if I can't get it working right. Thanks for the advice. I run an 18t on my commuter/beer run bike, I'll probably switch to the 18 after riding the Para a few times.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rotated the Convert

Okay, the convert is now in the push up position, seems to be working better than before. I think the reason why I was unhappy with it in the up position intially was that I didn't have the chain alingment quite perfect in the tensioner. One moved washer seemed to do the trick, no binding this time. Thanks for the advice folks.
Soupboy: Oddly enough if I take a link out of the chain it's to short. Not sure what's up with that but trust me I tried it. Then put the link back in, I'm thinking perhaps a half link would do the trick. I'm certainly considering the Eno option. That would be more cost effective then buying a new frame and perform better than the frame with a tensioner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts