Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
.....on the ride characteristics that is.

I have now had 4 rides on my Dos Niner and without a doubt, it is the squirliest mountain bike I have ever ridden be it 29" or 26" wheels.

It climbs great but man, the complete opposite on the downs.

I am convinced (at this point) that it is due primarily to the parts selection and once changed am pretty sure it will be way more robust....especially since on paper (ie, frame geometry), it should not feel this way in comparison to my other 29ers.

The bars are crappy arse narrow Race Face Evolve (WAY too narrow)....stem is about 10mm too long....and the tires are the worst POS things ever created (Motoraptor). Otherwise, the bike is very nice.....though there is definitely flex going on but my money is on the fact that the wheelset is crap and not the frame.

Will report back but at this point, I would rather have my fully rigid sub 20 lb One 9 for sketchy downhills than my Dos Niner with Reba...as equipped anyway.

Morale of the story: Do not underestimate the impact from part selection and blame bad riding characteristics on the frame.

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
you don't have to try and justify your reasons for upgrading. we all know it's going to happen anyway:D

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh brother....I should have known better. I tell yuh...I am gonna create a new account with all the mean-spirited attacks on my lack of willpower. :)

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
FoShizzle said:

Morale of the story: Do not underestimate the impact from part selection and blame bad riding characteristics it on the frame.
I think you're likely right on the money with that last. I've not had any such problems descending with mine, but I've got different tires (Exiwolf F, Ignitor R) and I'm rockin' a Karate Monkey Fork and Mary Bar. By and large, I'm finding it to be pretty much a point 'n' shoot affair. I weigh 185 lbs, BTW.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drewdane said:
I think you're likely right on the money with that last. I've not had any such problems descending with mine, but I've got different tires (Exiwolf F, Ignitor R) and I'm rockin' a Karate Monkey Fork and Mary Bar. By and large, I'm finding it to be pretty much a point 'n' shoot affair. I weigh 185 lbs, BTW.
I have no doubt the bike will rock.....the post was certainly not intended to be negative in regards to the frame.....since in conditions where the impact of bad part selection dont matter as much it is incredible...just that I was amazed at how much some of the cheaper parts on a bike can matter.

I will put my usual on the bike....FSA K Force DH bars cut to 685mm, Thomson 110mm stem, and probably Nanoraptor rear / XR 2.2 or Ignitor up front. The wheels will stay for a while due to lack of $$ but man they are flexy.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Padre said:
motoraptors are like riding downhill on marbles...
LOL....VERY well said Padre. They are absolutely horrible and they will lock up out back if you even think about braking.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts