Maxxis Larsen TT 1,9 No Tubes Sealant
Maxxis Flyweight 330 Bontrager XXX Lite inner tube

TOTAL WEIGHT: 8,440

Attachments

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
Cool, a titanium version of a 1990 Rocky Mountain Cirrus... :thumbsup:

How flexy is the bottom bracket, that was always the problem with elevated chainstay bikes, along with having the cassette eat a lot of vegetation on trails with a lot of underbrush.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rockyuphill said:
Cool, a titanium version of a 1990 Rocky Mountain Cirrus... :thumbsup:

How flexy is the bottom bracket, that was always the problem with elevated chainstay bikes, along with having the cassette eat a lot of vegetation on trails with a lot of underbrush.
Thanks, but the bike isn´t a version of that Cirrus or a version of any other bike...is a design made from zero and the geometry has nothing to do with Elevated Chainstayas from the 90´s...

·
What's "social pace?"
957 Posts
indian fire trail said:
Thanks, but the bike isn´t a version of that Cirrus or a version of any other bike...is a design made from zero and the geometry has nothing to do with Elevated Chainstayas from the 90´s...
I wouldn't say it's got nothing to do with it. That Cirrus looks very much like a precedent.
Head angle and seat tube junction aside, you could have fooled me.

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
indian fire trail said:
Yes the shape is similar (on purpose) but what I mean is: my bike is 71º / 73º which, as far as I remember, are not the angles that we used to have on 90´s bikes...
The ancients keep stealing our ideas, :D 1990 Cirrus geometry...

Text Photograph White Line Style

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
There's only so many ways you can arrange two wheels and a bunch of tubes, eventually everything old is new again. They did make the Cirrus and Experience up to 1992, maybe you had some subliminal exposure to a catalog or magazine ad that inspired you. :D The same thing happened to George Harrison.

Your Ti bike is still a good looking ride, and pretty darn light too. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rockyuphill said:
There's only so many ways you can arrange two wheels and a bunch of tubes, eventually everything old is new again. They did make the Cirrus and Experience up to 1992, maybe you had some subliminal exposure to a catalog or magazine ad that inspired you. :D The same thing happened to George Harrison.

Your Ti bike is still a good looking ride, and pretty darn light too. :thumbsup:
As soon as I get some more money I´ll change the wheels and it´ll be lighter...

I didn´t have in mind the Cirrus...I had in mind the Alpinestars Timega...

Palmix: Keep on dreaming!

·
Registered
934 Posts
dinoadventures said:
I wouldn't say it's got nothing to do with it. That Cirrus looks very much like a precedent.
Head angle and seat tube junction aside, you could have fooled me.
It's one of many bikes with elevated chainstays that is the only obvious similarity. The choice of tubeset probably makes a big difference as well as all the other angles aside from those mentioned which admittedly are the same as the cirrus. It looks like a much much higher quality frame than the cirrus, haros, nischiki (sp) etc ECS frames I've seen. The down tube that goes down to the bb looks really massive to keep things stiff.

Can you tell us more about the manufacturer.

I'm not sure what I think of elevated chainstays :skep: but I've never ridden one. Clearly they are not used today by the major manufacturers. I remember the Yeti Ultimate was once very cooool. On hill climbs do you feel like you will "wheelie out".

Very unique :thumbsup:

·
ups and downs
15,599 Posts
One of the big advantages of e-stays is the possibility of getting a very short effective chainstay. The Cirrus had 16.6" effective chainstays when the other 1990 RMB hardtails were 16.9". The latest RMB ETSX FS frames had very short effective chainstays at 16.5".

The original e-stay frames had a tendency to be flexy in the rear triangle and the BB just because the triangles have a shallow angle so there's less triangulation. The 1990 aluminium tubesets weren't very sophisticated, but they were fairly stiff. It was the early days of aluminium frames in 1990.

Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame Bicycle part

I'm curious how the Ti e-stay frame behaves as well. It does look a lot like the Merlin e-stay bike...

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel rim

The aluminium Alpinestars AlMega were a bit curvier.

Bicycle frame Blue Yellow Bicycle accessory Bicycle part

One thing for sure, if you search for elevated chainstay frames, you get a zillion results for frames I had completely forgotten about. There was a time when it seemed almost everyone made one, even Cannondale. About half of them had the look of the Alpinstars/Mantis and the other half the RMB Cirrus/ Merlin Elevator.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.