Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What definition could we give AM that will differ from XC, many times it sounds like both are the same,
We do know that DH is Down, down down, but it seems XC and AM are just about the same.

is AM a real category, or is it just something that has no real identity?
I consider myself a XC rider with 2 AM machines, but in reality they are XC bikes with 6" of suspension

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
AM is a catch-all category that gets people, on one end, who are really xc riders but don't like to associate with lycra wearing leg shavers who limit their beer consumption and, on the other end, people that really want to free-ride or DH, but simply don't have the cajones to be good at it and, instead, choose to improve their self esteem by telling the non-lycra wearing xc riders that they aren't worthy of the AM category.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I get the feeling you really just want to try and boast about the fact that what other people consider AM you just consider a pootling little XC ride.

It is something which is hard to define and varies from person to person. For me AM is anything that would break a lightweight XC race rig, but isn't enough to warrent a DH bike.

Saying there is nothing you can't go over really is a pointless statemet. You can go down my local double black down hill run on a XC bike if you really want, but with nothing like the speed or agressivness that you could on a proper DH bike.

·
Registered
610 Posts
ilostmypassword said:
Nothing. It's just marketing rubbish to make folk spend more money on bikes that don't really need. Want to ride faster and better? Get fit and learn some skills.......which are FREE ;)
I'd say that all that thing of the marketing stuff is half true. All Mountain is the main concept that defines the mountain biking. The only thing is, the concept of AM itself is being used to sell all-purpose bikes made for everything but extreme xc riding or downhill... there are routes and trails that no one could make it well on a Giant Glory going up, or viceversa using a Scott Scale Ltd going down.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
ilostmypassword said:
Nothing. It's just marketing rubbish to make folk spend more money on bikes that don't really need. Want to ride faster and better? Get fit and learn some skills.......which are FREE ;)
Since it's marketing rubbish, why even check out the AM forum let alone post in it?

·
the test dummy
3,487 Posts
For me it's riding long trail after trail then doing some light free ride along to way. Not to the point I need a free ride bike but to heavy for xc. In short terms we go up eat a sandwich then bomb down:)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so in conclusion, AM=
No lycra
I got the Cojones to go down, but not to fly

So this could be more of a fashion trend than a riding style right, meaning what we wear, and what goes on the bike is not crazy light, but still good enough to perform at top level

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
the idea is to use a pop word to describe longer travel, slacker bikes.. theres no definition though. some people call their beastly 7 inch 38lbs bikes "AM" bikes, and some people call their 25lbs 5 inch bikes "AM" bikes. both are so drastically different, but neither are right or wrong.. its like the title says, more than xc, less than dh/fr, which these days is this huge massive span of about 80% of the bikes on the market.

just means not a xc race bike, not a dh/fr bike, not a specialty bike (dj, 4x, slopestyle, cross etc).

pretty much, if you want a 6 inch bike, go shop for a 6 inch bike, or 5, or 4, or 7.. dont concern yourself much with the term, it wont help you find what you're looking for at all. once most people get riding, they're gonna know pretty much exactly what they want in terms of geometry and travel without really classifying it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think it's more than just marketing. There really is a gap in terrain between XC and DH.

It is a bigger variety of terrain than either of the other two, but it is definately down to more than just fashion. I see people doing AM rides in lycra, and people who ride without lycra but would never consider what they do to be AM at all (and rightly so)

You could ride what I consider AM on a DH bike or XC bike, but you would be so much slower.

·
Registered
578 Posts
It's makes sense when used to describe a type of bike... XC, AM, Freeride, DH bikes. They all have different geometries, part specs and implied purposes.

It's when you try to use those categories as a style of riding that things get really blurry. Everybody is different and any one of those bike types could be used for any style of riding depending on the rider.

·
Registered
610 Posts
dumbaSS said:
It's makes sense when used to describe a type of bike... XC, AM, Freeride, DH bikes. They all have different geometries, part specs and implied purposes.

It's when you try to use those categories as a style of riding that things get really blurry. Everybody is different and any one of those bike types could be used for any style of riding depending on the rider.
That is pretty much accurate! You are to establish your own style. Good answer.

·
Registered
8,671 Posts
I'm ok with the AM catagory, but think the freeride catagory is kind of overkill (between AM and downhill??)

XC - Mountain biking on any trail with more emphasis on climbs, efficiency, light weight, long distance, exploring, exercise, etc

AM - Mountain biking on any trail with more emphasis on jumps, high speed decents, clearing obsticles, off trail technical challenges, speed and air related thrills

Downhill - Mountain biking with little or no emphasis on climbing, just maximum efficiency for high speed decents and bashing over obsacles at speed.

So, the point is that you can do any kind of mountain biking on any kind of bike, its just a matter of what your emphasis is, and what strengths your bike was designed for.

Let the nit picking begin.........

·
Registered
578 Posts
XC bike - steep angles, designed to be light and fast uphill with an implied purpose of racing or non-technical trails.

AM bike - slacker than XC, moderate weight, designed to go uphill and still perform well downhill with light hucking.

Freeride bike - a liitle slacker than AM and a little beefier, designed to go downhill more than uphil, still can be ridden up but may require some pushing, can take pretty heavy hucking.

Downhill bike - very slack, total disregard for riding uphill, go really big down and off sh!t

The trails you ride them on... totally up to you.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It has nothing to do with terrain, it is a class of bikes. People have come to the idea that the word All Mountain is a style riding, which makes no sence since people can ride almost any mountain bike on any trail including xc bikes on downhill trails and downhill bikes on XC trails (though that would suck.)

The AM idea is a way of marketing a bike which has slacker angles/ more travel/ bigger tires than an xc bike but has less than a downhill/freeride bike. The idea is the bike is a jack of all trades master of none.

1 - 20 of 139 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.