Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a wheelset for my AM build for under $250. They will be going on Marz 55r forks and a Sette Shadow frame. I also would prefer to have black wheels. Anything that you would suggest?

·
Registered
85 Posts
A good set of rims are the Sun MTX rims. They go for around 50 bucks a piece. If you can get some hubs for cheap then the labor won't be any more than 40 or 50.

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
MTX are heavy rims. there are plenty of lighter options for that money that will be sturdy enough. check bicycle wheel warehouse, they usually have some good deals. If you want to build some up I suggest something like a sun SOS, a decent quality hubset with sealed bearings and dt swiss comp spokes.
Edt: for $225 you can get BWW to build you up Mavic en521's (kick a$$ rims) "kt lite" 20mm front hub, shimano xt rear hub, and dt comp spokes with brass nipples. Hard to beat for handbuilt wheels at that price...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
those look pretty nice and as of now they are cheap, but i am thinking of trading the shadow and marz forks to my close friend for an xbox... i still will be getting something but i am looking into getting a jamis parker 1 from jenson or spending a little more for an IH 6 point 4

·
Registered
327 Posts
greengreer: do you have those mavic 521s? I'm looking for a set of solid wheels wheels that can take some abuse but dont weigh a ton...was looking at Easton Havoc (a little more than I want to spend) Outlaws, Deetrax etc.

·
Registered
875 Posts
jeremy5000 said:
I am looking to get a wheelset for my AM build for under $250. They will be going on Marz 55r forks and a Sette Shadow frame. I also would prefer to have black wheels. Anything that you would suggest?
Save up $50 more bucks and get a set of Revolution AM's from Transition for $299.

·
bike-zilla
241 Posts
jhill said:
greengreer: do you have those mavic 521s? I'm looking for a set of solid wheels wheels that can take some abuse but dont weigh a ton...was looking at Easton Havoc (a little more than I want to spend) Outlaws, Deetrax etc.
I have one set up on a front wheel on my freeride/AM type bike with an ex721 rim out back (nearly the same rim, 721 is a bit heavier and stronger, also a bit pricey). It has held up to tons of gravity runs, two downhill races, and alot of aggressive riding without so much as having to turn a nipple, plus the hand-built bww ones should be stronger.
I also have a set of the new (09) havoc's on a different bike and they are sturdy and light but much less serviceable than a standard wheel build, and the back has come slightly out of true. In a nutshell, the havocs are a bit lighter and they are nice, but for a true "all-mountain" bike, one that will see aggressive gravity runs, I would opt for the 521's.
PS, some lighter riders are even getting away with these rims on downhill bikes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
just traded the shadow and forks for xbox with a shitlload of games, looking now at just getting a complete bike for around 1000

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think I might go for the Mavic en521 w/ XT hubs...anyone have any experience with them...they seem like a really good deal...anyone know if they are tubeless?

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
jeremy5000 said:
just traded the shadow and forks for xbox with a shitlload of games, looking now at just getting a complete bike for around 1000
around here we spell **** like this $h!t ok..... And I guess you have prioritys..... An x box for a frame and a fork. Ok.... Sure.....:madman: ???? Hurry up and get your bike dude!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ae111black said:
around here we spell **** like this $h!t ok..... And I guess you have prioritys..... An x box for a frame and a fork. Ok.... Sure.....:madman: ???? Hurry up and get your bike dude!
after i deposit some money, i think i might order another shadow... i regret doing it now, i never think $h!t out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts