Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Sun SOS wheels with a 15mm QR front and 9mm rear. I'd like to go tubeless, stiffer and lighter for a new wheelset. I've been looking at a few wheelsets in the $500 range when my LBS gave me this buildup.

Mavic 819's, DT spokes, shimano SLX and XT hubs converting my QR to 15mm bolt-on front and 10mm bolt-on rear finished with some 2.3 weirwolfs.

This sounds like a pretty good build and deal to me. Opinions?

·
Back on the wagon
1,091 Posts
I've blown up all my Shimano hubs, geared, SS, and front (ok, the front ones were because I'm lazy and didn't service them - the rear never lasted more than a season though). It'll be more expensive, but I haven't been able to destroy my Hadleys yet in 2 years of AM riding (and not servicing them). I've got them laced to Mavic 819s with DT Competition spokes, so I'm in agreement with your LBS there :) Just remember, any wheel is only as good as the builder so make sure you've got references on how their wheels hold up before you fork over that kind of money. The nice thing about the Hadley front hubs is that they're easily convertible from 9 mm QR to 15 mm to 20 mm, meaning you can keep the wheel even if you change your fork setup.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PutAwayWet said:
I've blown up all my Shimano hubs, geared, SS, and front (ok, the front ones were because I'm lazy and didn't service them - the rear never lasted more than a season though). It'll be more expensive, but I haven't been able to destroy my Hadleys yet in 2 years of AM riding (and not servicing them). I've got them laced to Mavic 819s with DT Competition spokes, so I'm in agreement with your LBS there :) Just remember, any wheel is only as good as the builder so make sure you've got references on how their wheels hold up before you fork over that kind of money. The nice thing about the Hadley front hubs is that they're easily convertible from 9 mm QR to 15 mm to 20 mm, meaning you can keep the wheel even if you change your fork setup.
What size tire are you running on the 819?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.