Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i`ve been told by my physio to change from flat pedals to clipped in pedals to help with my patella tendonitis.he mentioned making shure the pedals had plenty of float?? just wondered if anybody could recommend some good ones for me.gonna be difficult after 20yrs+on flats,i like the look of the shimano ones with a plastic cage around them

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
Want durablity and gobs of float, go for Time pedals. I love my SPD pedals, but if needing more float was an issue, Time would win for me hands down vs. Crank Bros.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I've used those Shimano SPD's with the black plastic cage around them. I ride on the trails with XT clipless now, but I still use the caged ones on my commuter. They work decent for short rides without SPD shoes and stand up to heavy abuse on the trails. Clip tension is fully adjustable which is great for getting used to clipless pedals.

The trick with clipless is to get the cleat positioned correctly. If you're having knee problems it would be worth it to get properly fit at a bike shop. Many shops will fit you for free if you end up buying something there (like pedals).

·
Registered
829 Posts
Do newer times have really actual float? Mine "float" but there is definitely some spring push-back. I have been grinding my cleats down a little to get the kind of float that I want, where I am not actually pushing against the pedals. I love them for reliability for sure, but I can't say I haven't thought about trying some speedplays now and then..

·
Registered
829 Posts
Honestly, what is your doctor talking about? How is clipless going to be better for tendinitis than regular pedals? Just asking, since I am working on teaching myself medicine...

·
Registered
23 Posts
rufflesurf said:
i`ve been told by my physio to change from flat pedals to clipped in pedals to help with my patella tendonitis.he mentioned making shure the pedals had plenty of float?? just wondered if anybody could recommend some good ones for me.gonna be difficult after 20yrs+on flats,i like the look of the shimano ones with a plastic cage around them
I've donw a lot of all mountain type riding on my Crank Brother Mallets. Used to have egg beaters but found my feet hurt a lot during some agressive super dh races. the platform helped a lot and helped when you only wanted to half unclip. The crank brothers style havn't had any issues with mud.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
fotu said:
Honestly, what is your doctor talking about? How is clipless going to be better for tendinitis than regular pedals? Just asking, since I am working on teaching myself medicine...
yes, i'd like to hear your thoughts on this as welll. when you were riding w/ flats, did you keep your foot in the same position, or did you lift it up often and shift position, angle?

i have used standard SPDs for 15+ years w/ no knee issues due to a float--switching to a pedal w/ less float caused me some knee discomfort. however, i'll soon be switching to flats, and i dont want to run into any issues, so i'm curious as to why the flats caused you the tendonitis.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my doc says i`m using my quads too much with the flats and not using the correct muscles pulling up?? dunno if he right,but he`s susposed to be the expert ;-) i was using v12`s with 5 10 sticky flat shoes.did`nt think that my foot moved around a lot on the pedal.20 years on flat pedals this is gonna be difficult to change!!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
not shure if the flats caused the tendonitis,i work as an electrician and working on my knees flares it up more,i think the doc is trying to help me out so i can still bike.spds for xc/all mtn and flats for dh he says

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
asalready mentioned timesandeggbeaters havealotof floatandare easytofind.timesforreliability. speedplayfrogstoo but theyareless popular.

·
Riding dirt since 1970
593 Posts
rufflesurf said:
my doc says i`m using my quads too much with the flats and not using the correct muscles pulling up?? dunno if he right,but he`s susposed to be the expert ;-) i was using v12`s with 5 10 sticky flat shoes.did`nt think that my foot moved around a lot on the pedal.20 years on flat pedals this is gonna be difficult to change!!
It'll be muscle memory sooner than you think, and it'd very likely you'll prefer the clipless after adjusting to them. Might not be a bad idea to wear knee pads 1st time out if you have some.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.