Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need a new frame capable of more abuse and travel than I can utilize...

- style: aggressive XC riding
- front travel: 140mm
- rear travel: 140-160mm
- weight: <7.5 - 8 lb
- bearings and bushings replaceable and serviceable with no special or expensive tools
- superior frame lateral stiffness
- superior pivot/joins design
- overall superior design, materials and craftsmanship
- budget: ?
- please state whether you own the bike or not and why do you think it is superior to others.

My budget is limited but I bought "cheap" and bought twice already. Based on my experience I will disassemble the frame first and put it together to make sure it is of a superior quality, design and build. I can't stand misalignments and paint in and around the mounting holes for example; such frame won't cut it! There is a lot of crap here in this forum and a also a corporate crap, crappy bike products and corporate untruthfulness and I am disgraced from my last purchase from a corporation that is in the business 10-20-30+ years!

I like from looking at the picture and specs:

- Titus El Guapo: http://www.titusti.com/bikes/elguapo.html# pricey!
- Turner RFX: http://www.turnerbikes.com/2007/rfx.html pricey!
- Canfield balance: http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/Balance Page.html heavy!

Disclaimer: If you have not built a FS bike yourself yet, please do not respond to this thread. If you have any financial interest in products you would recommend please state it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Vote for the RFX. I have been beating on mine all summer and it hasn't complained once. I'm not a little guy either (~235 in full gear) and I tend to plow through trail rather than pick the softest line. Plus Turner's CS is second to none, of if you did encounter a problem, they will take care of you. I built mine up myself and the quality of constuction on this frame is great, I'm very pleased with my purchase.

Crisillo makes a good mention of the Terremoto, but I can't comment as I have never seen one in person, but Ventana has a very good rep. as a quality frame with a great company to back it up. Titus's are nice bikes, but the geo didn't appeal to me personally. Canfield I never considered, I've never really liked their frames but I have no basis for that other than personal opinion.

Good luck with your shopping.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
A little cheaper with good reviews is the Chumba EVO. I have a 03 Turner 5 Spot and a 06 RFX and personally wouldn't hesitate to get a Turner or a Ventana. The EVO is very appealing to me though.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
crisillo said:
also pricey... but have you thought about the Ventana El Terremoto?
+1 - Ventana set the industry standard for years with the integration of quad bearing setups. The Turner suspension is now very close to Ventana. Easier to service pivots, but they require greasing more often than Vs need servicing (1x every couple years).
I am a big guy and appreciate the lateral stiffness and build quality, having gone thru some other bikes before ponying up for this one!~

·
Registered
40 Posts
comment on quality of brands

I have built and ridden a 05 Titus motolite, and just completed and am riding a 07 Ventana El Ciclon. I have no financial interests in either. Both well designed and executed. The 05 Motolite was, I believe one of the last US made motolites. So nat sure if people see a change in quality with the newer stuff.
Paint and overall quality nod to Ventana. Meticulous!! Ventana's even come with the BB and head tubes faced! Stffness, both very stiff, Venatana a bit more, but it is a more burley frame and I have the quad bearings. Ride quality, they aren't really the same class so hard to compare. Ciclon more AM and slack, Moto more XC oriented. Can't say you'd go wrong with either brand. Ventana a notch higher in quality(and also $). Good luck.

·
Registered
927 Posts
What do you mean by aggressive XC riding? Turner Spot may be better than the RFX depending on planned usage...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Check out Knolly bikes. If your wallet will stretch, I've heard that they're about as good as it gets.

I don't have one. I don't have any vested interest. I am sure any owners will reflect what I have said.

www.knollybikes.com

·
Ultimate Poseur
398 Posts
tald said:
What do you mean by aggressive XC riding? Turner Spot may be better than the RFX depending on planned usage...
Word to your mother. 140mm fork isn't going to jive that well with an RFX either. Like my Spot a lot, but don't have enough time on it to give a biased/unbiased opinion about it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
i would recommend two bikes, the cannondale prophet and the commencal meta 5.5.x. the prophet might be too much of a downhill plaything for you and perhaps not the stiffest in the rear, but i really like mine.

the other bike i would recommend and that has received a lot of praise in the press as well as from users, is the commencal meta 5.5 series. i use to own one, but sold it after two rides as i needed to finance a snowboarding trip, hehe. the prophet i own now was my preferred of the two. not because i believe it is a superior bike, i just like it better. the commencal usually beats the prophet in tests and reviews, but oh well. the commencal is prob your best bet, and i would think better than the above mentioned bikes.

i have no financial interest in either company and have built up two cannondale prohets, a commencal meta 5.5 and a commencal supreme fr i the last two years so i have some idea with what i'm talking about here.

or wait, what you need is the new meta 666. hehe, though the travel up front is perhaps a bit too much for you.

good luck on the purchase

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
klinkekule said:
the commencal is prob your best bet, and i would think better than the above mentioned bikes.
What leads you to that conclusion? Have you ridden the above mentioned bikes? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. It would have to be one hell of an impressive rig to beat out the likes of Ventana, Turner, Knolly, etc.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
[email protected]

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Banshee is doing some cool things next year

I have no vested financial interest in them, I just think they're a top notch company with customer service that's as good as any in the business. They're not just a hucker-bike company anymore

I'm considering a Rune for my GF as well for next year. She needs a bike that can tackle any gnar-filled epic, while still be able to make weekend trips to the bike park, and Banshee's virtual floating four-bar(VF4B) suspension makes a superb peal friendly rig.
It'll be pretty affordable too, a frame will be about 1800 /w DHX 5.0 Air with builds around 3500ish and up

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
After reading a good portion of this article pathAnalysis I am considering 07 SC Heckler. I also looked at Cannondale Prophet, and Yeti 575 which is a similar frame but just prefer SC. But I will wait for 08 SC to see first what has changed compared to 07 SC.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Wow,
I am quite astonished that you chose the Heckler. I owned one and really, really liked it. I have to say however, that my SX Trail, which I ride now, with it´s 4bar suspension feels much better. At least to me. The single pivots are good for the just ride and have a durable bike guys (which is cool with me). You say about yourself, that you´re a bit picky and really careful with your stuff. Maybe the Heckler is not the bike for you then.
Ventanas have a superb finish.
Specializeds stink in that department ;) When I received my frameset (new from Spesh) the paint literally chipped of on 5 or 6 spots. disc tabs, headset etc. were faced through my LBS. But I think for almost 2300$(over here in Germany, for the frameset) you would expect, that at least the disc tabs are faced and the paint would hold up.
But, after I stopped worrying about the paint chips, I rode my bike. And it feels absolutely awesome. I couldn´t be happier. (Ok, maybe if it had the same strenght but would weigh 10pounds less :D )

So, get some fancy multi pivot thing, if you´re a tech geek. It also "sometimes" helps with the stiffness.

Greetings Znarf

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
May be I am an avarage Joe, I just need to figure out! But I am not a poser. :))

Really that article influenced me and confirmed my hunch I had.

I think I want something that has been ridden a lot by many, a proven platform. Also I am influenced by hands on experience with a multi pivot crap. I probably want something simple where it is eliminated to a large degree that something can go wrong.

Yeah, and that is it: It also "sometimes" helps with the stiffness. That uncertainty....

You can protect those frame with a special tape, none-fading, transparent tape.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Ok, then I got it wrong :)
You THEN need something bombproof. The Heckler then seems like an excellent choice. At least my 2003 Heckler was really durable. I didn´t have a single issue with it.

I´d rather not put tape on my frame. Maybe if I want to peel it off someday the whole paint comes off with the tape :D

Greetings znarf

·
Registered
163 Posts
Joe,

As a LONG time heckler rider, I have ridden all but the 07, and cant imagine it doing anything but getting better. The Heckler is an EXCELLENT choice for the situation you describe, pretty much maintenance free. and BOMB PROOF. As well as just generally being a great all around performer. Its just got a magic feel, and the more you ride it the more you love it. It is definately a proven platform that they just keep tweaking to get better and better performance out of. Alot of guys back when this bike came out built it for freeride, when there really was no specific freeride frames being built, and it put up with it. It has only gotten stronger and stiffer since the early days.

Dont wait for 08 as they just redesigned the frame, and they arent going to change it as early as next year. They dont change things that quickly.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I don't know how many local bike shops you have there on the moon and how often you could arrange a test ride on your favorite trail on the sun, but I think you'd be better served spending a little less hanging on every word of an article about path analysis and a little more time test riding some different bikes.

I'd recommend keeping an open mind and then let the seat of your own pants tell you which bike you like best.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts