Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I wrong to tell her no???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, At the risk of being flamed for being a bad BF her goes nothing. The weather has finally warmed up to the point where I can open the windows in my house and car. This is the first week. Today, about an hour ago, my GF calls and it goes something like this:

her: hi hon.
me: Hi, I'm busy what's up?
her: just called to say hi and love you.
me: *suspicious at this point* Love ya too.
her: BTW, I know what you can to tonight.
me: *not that I don't have enough to do already* Me too, cut grass, finish that electrical outlet, clean gutters, etc...
her: No silly, you can put the AC's in the windows tonight.
me: Why???
her: it's "hot" out
me: No it's not. It's like 70 degrees. Perfect weather. Besides I wasn't planning to do that until May, I want to keep the windows open for awhile and the cats like to lay in them when they're open.
her: But it's "hot" out
me: Then you put them in, but I'm not doing it for a few weeks yet.
her: I'M not lifting a 300lb ac.
me: they're not 300lbs, hey I got to go, love ya
her: *sounding mad* love you, bye

This kinda thing comes up all the time. When we travel together in the summer, I can't enjoy the outdoors because it's hot and she "has to have" the car AC on and the wind whips her hair around. I've bought her scrunches for her hair, but she won't wear them. So I gave in on that one. Am I wrong here????

·
Registered
922 Posts
she sounds *high maintenance* in that she expects instant comfort regardless of the conditions or others.

my kid started that crap at a young age and I successfully beat it out of her (not really :rolleyes: )

but i did have to teach my kid some patience with similar situations.

I'm a firm believer of adjusting one's self to be comfortable first before ajdusting the entire environment to meet one's comfort. If you are cold put on more clothes, if you are hot take off more clothes.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with changing oneself before enviroment. I always laugh and waonder how much gas is wasted in the summer with people in hugh suv's using the AC EVERYWHERE they go! I usually only use mine when I'm stuck in traffic and it's a HOT day out.

·
Registered
388 Posts
are you just venting?

if so, that's fine...everyone needs to vent sometimes (although your gf probably wouldn't be thrilled to read about herself on the internet). personally, i love to have open windows, too, and indeed we don't even have ac even though it's frequently in the 90s here in the summer. i hope you feel better now. :)

if, on the other hand, you're looking for something (possibly) constructive, you might try to discern whether there's maybe something else behind her request. for example, does she have allergies that make her uncomfortable this time of year with the windows open? or could there be something less rational (i am not always rational when i'm upset...sorry to my patient bf who puts up with it until i come to my senses) but just as real to her?

that said, when i want something done, i generally do it myself (if i can) rather than nagging my bf, especially if he's busy doing other chores. i built our bike rack in the back of his truck by myself, including sawing all of the 4x4s, 2x6s, and 2x4s by hand (we don't have a power saw). he did help with the staining at the end.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
crashedandburned said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, At the risk of being flamed for being a bad BF her goes nothing. The weather has finally warmed up to the point where I can open the windows in my house and car. This is the first week. Today, about an hour ago, my GF calls and it goes something like this:

me: *not that I don't have enough to do already* Me too, cut grass, finish that electrical outlet, clean gutters, etc...
me: No it's not. It's like 70 degrees. Perfect weather. Besides I wasn't planning to do that until May, I want to keep the windows open for awhile and the cats like to lay in them when they're open.

This kinda thing comes up all the time. When we travel together in the summer, I can't enjoy the outdoors because it's hot and she "has to have" the car AC on and the wind whips her hair around. I've bought her scrunches for her hair, but she won't wear them. So I gave in on that one. Am I wrong here????
Yep, you're wrong. 100% wrong. If this thing comes up all the time, buy yourself a friggin' sweater. And wear it. In the car. And in the house.

I gotta ask a few things here. CNB, why the hell would you want to deal with this issue over and over and over? And why would you want to make your high maintenance GF unnecessarily hot and cranky when the situation is easily avoidable? And just how "high maintenance" can she be, when she puts up with such charming solutions like,"I'll go if you pay" (clicky clicky) when you two are deciding what you're going to do on weekends?

Dude, the more you write, the more I'm convinced, you're lucky to have any GF. Apologize for being an ass, install the freaking AC, and let the electrical outlet wait until the weekend. And ... *pssst* ... word to the wise, you may want to plan, and spring for the dinner once in a while. You can thank me for your getting laid, better and more often, once you take my advice.

·
Registered
388 Posts
AC vs. windows in cars

I always laugh and waonder how much gas is wasted in the summer with people in hugh suv's using the AC EVERYWHERE they go!
Don't get me started on wasteful driving, but one comment is that, at highway speeds, it can actually be more efficient to use AC than to have the windows down in your car because lowering the windows greatly increases the drag on the vehicle. Of course, the exact comparison depends on the aerodynamics of the vehicle.

Since a house doesn't move, opening the windows is always more energy efficient than running the AC. :p

·
i worship Mr T
5,543 Posts
no, you're not wrong to tell her no if you don't want to do it. if she wants the ac units installed in the windows badly enough then she'll figure out a way to do it herself.

on the other hand, i do think you're wrong for whining about it on the internet (and not just on one forum but 2). i'd be mortified if my S.O. took our disagreements onto a public forum.

just my $0.02

rt

·
Registered
392 Posts
Dude, the more you write, the more I'm convinced, you're lucky to have any GF. Apologize for being an ass, install the freaking AC, and let the electrical outlet wait until the weekend. And ... *pssst* ... word to the wise, you may want to plan, and spring for the dinner once in a while. You can thank me for your getting laid, better and more often, once you take my advice.
Good BURN Kitty!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Mmmkaay

I'm going to go back at look at thread of pics we posted of guys. Just to get back some confidence in the other half. The random dumb questions guys have been posting in here recently are wigging me out.

Sabine

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
*rt* said:
on the other hand, i do think you're wrong for whining about it on the internet (and not just on one forum but 2). i'd be mortified if my S.O. took our disagreements onto a public forum.
He didn't use her name or his name. No one will know who she is. Why would she care?
I'd be less "mortified" if my wife asked for advice anonymously on the internet rather than asking her friends or family.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"I gotta ask a few things here. CNB, why the hell would you want to deal with this issue over and over and over? And why would you want to make your high maintenance GF unnecessarily hot and cranky when the situation is easily avoidable? And just how "high maintenance" can she be, when she puts up with such charming solutions like,"I'll go if you pay" (clicky clicky) when you two are deciding what you're going to do on weekends?"

Over and over???? what the he11 r u talking about???? I mostly put this post up for a laugh as to the differences between men and women. Nothing really serous meant by it. Never said she was "high maintenance", but before you go flaming me about NOT taking her out please remember that EVERYWHERE we go I pay for it. Not that I mind that so much but she'll complain if I ask that we take her car even if I put gas in and do the driving. Also before condemning me, let ya in on a couple things. My GF pays very little to live in my house. I just ask she put in a little to help out with bills. PLUS I've paid for doctor visits and prescriptions when she didn't have med coverage when she had the flu, strep, colds, etc. Bought her prescription glasses, do the upkeep on her car, etc.

"Dude, the more you write, the more I'm convinced, you're lucky to have any GF."

If you're trying to say I would be lucky to you as a GF "IF you are a female" DON'T flatter yourself.

"Apologize for being an ass"

Accepted

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
tlg said:
I'd be less "mortified" if my wife asked for advice anonymously on the internet rather than asking her friends or family.
Hellooooooooo ... ladies ... please read tlg's post. Twice. That's some damn good advice, tlg. That too many chickies need to hear. Thanks everso much.

However, Sabine does bring up an excellent point ... if CNB has the time to post and b*tch about this situation on the internet, he sure 'nuff has time to install the GD thing, so he oughtta just go ahead and do it. Otherwise it's clear that he's intentionally going out of his way to be an ass, and that doesn't bode well for his getting a little action later on tonight. Think CNB, think. What's more important to you ... winning the thermostat war ... or gettin' some?

·
Registered
200 Posts
oh

We were in a rental house last year with no AC
I asked hubby to get an AC

I waited a week and then bought one that I could lift into the car.
then I brought it in the house and asked for help installing it.
Well I installed it myself.
initiative, sometimes one takes matters into one's own hands

crashedandburned said:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
crashedandburned said:
"I gotta ask a few things here. CNB, why the hell would you want to deal with this issue over and over and over? And why would you want to make your high maintenance GF unnecessarily hot and cranky when the situation is easily avoidable? And just how "high maintenance" can she be, when she puts up with such charming solutions like,"I'll go if you pay" (clicky clicky) when you two are deciding what you're going to do on weekends?"

Over and over???? what the he11 r u talking about???? I mostly put this post up for a laugh as to the differences between men and women. Nothing really serous meant by it. Never said she was "high maintenance", but before you go flaming me about NOT taking her out please remember that EVERYWHERE we go I pay for it. Not that I mind that so much but she'll complain if I ask that we take her car even if I put gas in and do the driving. Also before condemning me, let ya in on a couple things. My GF pays very little to live in my house. I just ask she put in a little to help out with bills. PLUS I've paid for doctor visits and prescriptions when she didn't have med coverage when she had the flu, strep, colds, etc. Bought her prescription glasses, do the upkeep on her car, etc.

"Dude, the more you write, the more I'm convinced, you're lucky to have any GF."

If you're trying to say I would be lucky to you as a GF "IF you are a female" DON'T flatter yourself.

Accepted
Whoopsee. Looks like I touched a nerve.

I'll let you in on another secret CNB: You're free to ignore my advice. Or you can take it and reap the rewards. xoxox.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Tax benefits??

Can you claim her as a dependant? No. If you're desparate enough to put up with that behavior, too F**cking bad. Time to move on if you don't like her behavior.

Of course this is advice from a 43 year-old-never-been-marrred-single-guy.... :D

crashedandburned said:

Accepted

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
The internet is a decent place to get objective opinions and vent, which may be healthy for relationships!

I think it's a bit sneaky on her part to kind of start off with the lovey-dovey stuff, then claim that "it's hot." First of all, 70 degrees F is NOT HOT. She knows that.

Second, I think she could phrase it better, like: "Hey hon, listen. I know you hate how often I use the A/C, but it really does feel stuffy in the house. Could you humor me by putting in the A/C early this year? We can shut it off when you get home..."

I get the feeling she's going to try this herself, and the A/C is "accidentally" going to shatter all over the driveway after it falls from the window. ;)

It's odd that she's always warm. I'm the opposite- I've got the heat in the car blasting, and I love when my bedroom is warm and cozy. When there's a portable heater around, I practically wrap myself around it! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.