Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the way Crank Bros. pedals function. They work great, they release when I want, they clear mud, awesome, right? But, I keep breaking these damn things. I had my original Mallets for 4 seasons and every pair after that hasn't lasted for more than a few months. I snapped the axle on a pair of Candys last season, shattered the cage on a pair of Acids this spring, then I replaced them with another pair of Candys and I bent the cage on one last night.

Does anyone else have this problem or does is my luck just awful?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I busted up two candies in two rides... i think its just junk... kinda sucks given crank bros seem to have some decent ideas it is just junk implementation in my opinion

·
greedy
482 Posts
The only wings that will last are the stainless ones. Unfortunately I think they are only on the eggbeater sl and ti. I thought about trying acids or candys at one time, but it seems like even the highend ones still have the stamped wings.

I don't have any experience with the newly released pedals (2011), but even if you get a good pair of their pedals, the bearings won't last long and constantly need to be rebuilt. In my opinion anyway.

Between the Joplin and eggbeaters, I am just about done with them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have been using the same mallets for 2 years with out problem, before that had another mallets that I retired cause I used it for 3 year and they look bit. But also I have friends with the same problem that you. Have you contact crack brother?

Cesar

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've ran Mallets for the last 3 seasons. Haven't tried any other Crank Bros. pedals, so can't comment on their durability, but haven't had any issues with the Mallets. This season I switched to flats (Point One Podium pedals - amazing btw), but wouldn't hesitate to run Mallets again.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
No you're not. Round here nobody (and I mean nobody) rides Crankies pedals, occasionally someone buys a set and they never last. The cages smash on rocks, the bushings wear too fast in bad weather and the axles are poor quality.

Time, Shimano or flats.

·
Singletrack Slayer
1,961 Posts
I still ride some shimano spds from 10 yrs ago and never broke one, ever, Seen people break crank bros a lot around here in the SE on rocks especially, Seen a guy in a race loose the pedal and had a little axle to step on!:p Go Shimano...

·
Registered
74 Posts
i've got about 1000 miles on my mallets, love them. i've broken two frames and i'm on my third, with the same pedals. never done a thing to them besides spray them with the hose when i'm cleaning the bike.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Broke my Candy's after one month. Broke the cage on a rock. Never broken a shimano or time pedal after extensive use on both.

My riding buddy bought a pair at the same time as me and his broke after three months. He is back to Time.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Lasted less than 30 miles before spitting out the bearings , nothing but Shimano XT's now .

·
aka Flatballer
34 Posts
this is surprising to me.

I'm riding Eggbeaters right now and slam them on rocks occasionally without problems. I ride more trail than AM though, and there aren't any platform parts to break on the EB.

They've also got lots of miles on them and I've never serviced them.

·
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It seems like the Mallets hold up better than anything else. I might be a sucker for punishment but I may get a pair Mallets.

or maybe go back to flat pedals.

hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Been riding on a pair of mallets for about 4 months now. Now complaints and I've bashed em on enough rocks.. :)

Tails

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
kch88 said:
this is surprising to me.

I'm riding Eggbeaters right now and slam them on rocks occasionally without problems. I ride more trail than AM though, and there aren't any platform parts to break on the EB.

They've also got lots of miles on them and I've never serviced them.
samsies.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
VTSession said:
I really like the way Crank Bros. pedals function. They work great, they release when I want, they clear mud, awesome, right? But, I keep breaking these damn things.
Get Times then :thumbsup:
Time>CB
Time>Shimano

1 - 20 of 55 Posts