Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I HATE this time of yr. I usually gain about 8 to 10 lbs every winter due to the temp drop, cutting back on my running and cycling due to bad weather (ie: freezing rain, sloped up muddy trails). The Holiday treats that abound around the house that I visit. I have a BAD sweet tooth. Even on good days, trying to breath in 30 degree weather while running is a B!TCH. I think it also causes the muscles in my legs to cramp slightly so that I can't run like I do in the summer. All of this and the fact that I surf a desk nowadays helps my waistline expand some everytime this point in the yr. I HATE working out indoors.

Anyone else w/ this same problem????

·
Can't get right...
556 Posts
crashedandburned said:
I HATE this time of yr. I usually gain about 8 to 10 lbs every winter due to the temp drop, cutting back on my running and cycling due to bad weather (ie: freezing rain, sloped up muddy trails). The Holiday treats that abound around the house that I visit. I have a BAD sweet tooth. Even on good days, trying to breath in 30 degree weather while running is a B!TCH. I think it also causes the muscles in my legs to cramp slightly so that I can't run like I do in the summer. All of this and the fact that I surf a desk nowadays helps my waistline expand some everytime this point in the yr. I HATE working out indoors.

Same problem here. Easy 10-12 lbs. I ride less, eat more and drink beer watching football. But i will be forced to ride into work tomorrow 11 miles each way into NYC thanks to the transit strike. If it lasts long enough i might lose the weight i gained. Just not crazy about under 30 degree weather. Wish me luck.And do some sit ups. :p

·
Registered
582 Posts
You are not the only one!

I'm good for at least 5 pounds every winter, i don't even try to fight it anymore. The holiday goodies always win out.

·
I need a new name
906 Posts
crashedandburned said:

Starting around October I started gaining weight. I like to think it was due to hitting the weights at the gym more often. I'm not too worried about it, when spring hits I'll drop the 12lbs again.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Guarenteed at least 10 lbs every winter - mostly due to my favorite winter hobby of beer drinking. This year is even worse because my wife was pregnant until November 7th, so I found myself eating all the weird stuff that she was craving.

·
Registered
271 Posts
no kidding but

lot8con8 said:
....and every year I say the same thing.....it won't happen and it does. Winter = eating.

JG
At least 10lbs a winter(even with the snowboarding) but This Year is the year...LOL.Because of the back sprain, due to bike bail, I have been told not to ride for 4 to 6 weeks ( I was loving my commute and the weather was being good so far but i wasn't healing)and told to swim to build up some muscel so i started this morning...up at 5:30am to the gym and in the pool by 6:45am and at work by 8am....but then it's done. So maybe I wont gain because to ride i have to swim..just might work. Kona

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Opposite Here

I loosing weight.
I eat pretty much the same year round but with decreased outdoor activity I loose muscle mass in my legs.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Same story here. After my marathon in September, I started gaining weight. I am up 6-7 lbs now. Hopefully I can manage to keep it under 10lbs. And none of this is because of lack of working out. It is all because I love to eat, especially sweets.

My "trick" is to diet very hard every spring to lose the weight.

·
Registered
466 Posts
no, you're not alone but you'll never be part of my dedicated group of riders here in very cold New England.we ride all year regardless of cold, snowy weather. the studded tires are ready. I used them to ride on the road after a snow storm total of 35" (record).

I'll be blunt. to complain about 30 degree (f) weather as being a ***** indicates to me that you're a *****. 30 degrees? we ride in single digits (f) and I especially enjoy running in those temps.

sorry, but had to say it.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
dang said:
I'll be blunt. to complain about 30 degree (f) weather as being a ***** indicates to me that you're a *****. 30 degrees? we ride in single digits (f) and I especially enjoy running in those temps. .

Ya, ya, ya....You're a bigger man than me. Congrats! Go jump in the river w/ the rest of the polar bearer's and thump your chest a little harder for me. :p

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I used to gain bodygfat in the winter but now I gain muscle in the winter since I lift 3-5 times a week. So I get up to 185 in the winter and get down to around 175-178 in the Spring. I'm older now so if I didn't hit the gym, I'd start putting on bodyfat like crazy- I can't resist pizza and fast food though I try to eat a lot of cereal, Oatmeal, fruits, stir fry, and other lean stuff I cook. Once the twenties vanish, it takes a LOT of effort to keep from blowing up and looking like a freakin blimp on a bike.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Every year I gain about 7 lbs

but lose 5 January through March. I am 54 and weigh 175. By the time I am 75 I will weigh 227. I'm gonna go get a little snack.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Yeah, same shyt here. Less time in the saddle leaves more time to sit around the house and munch on stuff :rolleyes:. I just moved into the diet mode a few days ago...no munching between meals and smaller portions at meals. I want (need) to drop 20lbs by April 1...that's my ambitious goal anyway.

Geez, I road my MTB on the street afew days ago and felt like I was pulling a trailer!!

Tomorrow we gonna warm up to near 30F!!! :D Got the bike lubed and ready to go!

·
Banned
226 Posts
Me too

I gain some, but I do gain some muscle because of the gym. I have been down to about 1 ride a week, not because it is too cold, but because the guys I ride with are busy and I am afraid of riding alone, squirls and stuff, you know. I tend to hit the gym more, so I don't really get too out of shape. We are supposed to get some snow tonight, so for sure we will ride in the morning, I love snow riding. All this talk about wieght is making me want a Double Whopper with CHeeeeeeez. see ya

·
Registered
901 Posts
konahottie_311 said:
At least 10lbs a winter(even with the snowboarding) ...
I have this theory that winter sports actually actively suck the fitness from you. I used to play hockey in high school (when I ran XC in the fall) and college (when I started riding with a vengance), and now ski and board (I say "board" so as not to be confusing with the term "ride). I always re-start in the spring slow as [insert cliche here].

And I gain weight, too. It used to be 20+ pounds, that I'd lose in the summer. Then I realized I didn't need to stuff myself to the point of pain at every meal, and now the yo-yo string's down to ~10-15. Which incidentally, what about what I gained on my honeymoon (including a 2 week cruise) last summer, too.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
crashedandburned said:
Yep, every year. This winter looks to be even worse - I didn't get nearly enough exercise over the summer to start with a decent baseline and I haven't been able to get myself into the routine of ignoring the cold to ride, lunchtime workouts in my building's gym, etc. Couple that with what I think are the beginnings of age-related metabolic changes (I'm 36), and it's looking like a record-breaking year for me on the lard-ass front. :eek:

I'm hanging my hopes on August, when my youngest starts riding the school bus and I can start bike commuting (~20 miles round trip). 'Til then, I need to figure out some way to kick myself in the ass enough to just hold the line... :(

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I purposely eat less when I am less active.....and much less in the winter. As such, my weight rarely fluctuates at all. In my thinking, food is earned through work and activity, and if one is not doing it, then one is not worthy of it. IOW, if one cannot burn off the calories, one should not take them in the first place. Sounds harsh, but that has always been the way I have felt.

I rarely eat desserts, and never eat cake or donuts. I do eat kiffles and Christmas cookies at this time of the year, but I always watch myself.

And BTW, I have been the same weight for about 15 years now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts