Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sorry Niner. Your bikes are awesome,but the new hydroformed frames are disgusting. Call me a retrogrouch but I think the old Emd9, Air9 and One9 frames with the round tubes are infinately better looking than the new chopped and processed and formed and shaped bikes. Am I the only one? Maybe I'll have to just buy a new MCR.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I am sorry Niner. Your bikes are awesome,but the new hydroformed frames are disgusting. Call me a retrogrouch but I think the old Emd9, Air9 and One9 frames with the round tubes are infinately better looking than the new chopped and processed and formed and shaped bikes. Am I the only one? Maybe I'll have to just buy a new MCR.
I was thinking they look really good but I have never liked round tubes.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Monkey see, monkey do...

Because the cool kids wont buy what doesnt look new and innovative, who knows. But it does feel like a shame to lose the Scandium construction for hydroformed tubing on the Air9s.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I went from a 2008 round tube RIP9 to a hydro-formed 2011 RIP9. The new RIP is superior in all regards - except looks, IMHO. I too, tend to like round tube frames. But I looove my new RIP. I do see some formed-tube bikes I like the looks of, but also see some really fugly ones. Eye of the beholder, and all that.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The old tubes where cool. But Niner stepped it up and added Cool lines and shapes and more strength to the new tubes. I held the the new one and could'nt put it down. The welds and hydro shapes are amazing to touch and look at. Can't wait to ride one someday.....

·
OHV Gansta
122 Posts
I agree I think the older shape tubes look better but it's a mountain bike it's about function and the hydroform tubes do that better and serve their perpose in extra stiff ness with less weight

When ya riding it ya ain't looking at it are ya now lol

·
mtbr member
250 Posts
I rode one of the new Air9 frames today. Regardless of the way it looks if you are in the market for a new hardtail you owe it to yourself to demo this bike.

Disclaimer - I'm a Niner distributor. My personal ride is a Sir9 but we have both the Scandium Air9 and the Air9 Carbon in our demo fleet so I've had a good amount of time on all of these frames. That said maybe my expectations of the new Air9 were not that high (how good can an aluminum bike be?) - for me this bike was a revelation. Once again, if you're in the market, ride it. 'nuff said.

·
Fat & Single
4,176 Posts
Im massive fan of the niner hardtails, i have a ONE9 and my mates ride an AIR and EMD. I have posted this a few times already but really think they have went the cheap route. The new ones look awesome BTW, but bloody hydroformed tubing is only strong when undamaged, one tube impact or decent stone dent and the frame is useless, if it matters resell value is gone too.

The write up that used to be on the NINER website telling us how they had gone to space-age game changing Scandium alloy over outdated common alu was a seller on its own.... backflip anyone ???

No doubt the new frame rides beautifully and looks great too.... sadly we have dusty rocky terrain here and it wont last sh1t !

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the new frames, but hate the colorscheme on them....The painting on the carbon frames...go figure..instead of making the frames look stronger they make them look cheap. Last week I was at bikemotion here in Holland and the welding on the Air9 was brown on the black anodized frame. I loved the colours on the 'old' bikes atomic blue/green...It made niner look really different then, for example, cannondale or specialized....any idea where I can still get an air9 atomic blue size M (new or second hand)?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.