Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Jason
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently replaced the seriously sub-par Spinner Grind OS suspension forks on my Mongoose Pro Alta with a set of Nashbar rigid mountain bike forks. I was thinking aluminum but went with chro-mo for the smoother ride. So, am I the only full rigid rider here? I've looked around and couldn't find anyone else riding without front suspension. They kind of remind me of my BMX days. I love the rigids and don't think I'll be switching back any time soon. I do light to moderate trails so I don't think I'll have any problems with them durability wise.

Here's what I'm riding:

It's an 06 Mongoose Pro Alta. Mostly stock but here are some changes I've made since I got it.
Rear tire- Serfus Gator 26X2
Front tire- CST Critter 26X2.1
243 T6 riser bars
Nashbar rigid forks
Pedals from a 2000 GT Mach One Bmx

Weight when new was 31.4 lbs. Weight now is 28.2 and I couldn't be happier with this bike! So... is anyone else riding a full Rigid?

Damn Firefox won't let me deltete that random "S"!

S

·
Jason
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone riding rigids have pics of your ride? Do you ride rigid because you prefer it or because of budget reasons?

·
xx = xtr²
147 Posts
i have a rigid bike, it's my 2006 specialized hardrock, i only use it 2-3 times a month because everytime i take it, my wrists are destroyed. I like the rigid feeling a lot, but it is just not efficient for my kind of trail and speed.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
The only word that comes to my mind when I think of rigid is....oww:cryin:

My hat is off to you rigid guys. Yesterday I was just finishing up a ride on a very technical, rocky, rooty trail on my 6"FS bike and there was a dude on a rigid 29er heading in...them's some serious balls!

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Absolutely not!
I ride an old Trek 820 rigid sometimes and still love it. It was my first mountain bike in 1995, and I still ride it XC at Bootleg Canyon when I'm bored and want to do something different.
I got a compliment recently. A friend of mine called up, and said that her friend Bruce told her, that some "idiot" was riding up POW trail on a bike that wasn't made for it. :D
That I know wouldn't make sense to some, unless you've ridden Bootleg.
She told him who it was. lols
I also ride an "outdated" Mountain Cycle dual suspension rig.

Later, Erico Maximvs.

It's just to fun to mess with the "best?".

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
i'll be on a rigid soon enough, after i get my SS project up and running :)

·
E30 Rollin'
235 Posts
I was riding a trail the other day and I was wishing I was on a full rigid ss. Had my fork locked out but it still moves a little bit. Had the tire pressure down and didn't change gears more than 3 times throughout the 3-4 hour ride. I wasn't in a rush or anything and it was truly a wonderful time. It was also a trail I hadn't been on in over a year though and it seemed foreign to me. Maybe why this is why it was so enjoyable? Who else thinks the first time out on a trail is the most enjoyable?

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
dexetr30, here are a few threads to show you that you're not alone:
recent rigid bike thread here
long 29er rigid thread here
post your SS bike threads here and here and here, more than half of which are rigid
There are lots of people on this forum riding rigid bikes:thumbsup:

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
Yup, i ride one occasionally. Most of the time it chauffeurs me around town though. It's really funny to be riding around on my rigid bike with a rack and be surrounded by 6" bikes. If the trail is really smooth is nearly as fast though. Rigid handles much better than crappy undamped/marginally damped 4"+ suspension forks.

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
I was riding one for almost 2 years before I recently swapped to a cushy fork. Fact: you will ride faster with some travel.

·
Jason
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
boomn said:
dexetr30, here are a few threads to show you that you're not alone:
recent rigid bike thread here
long 29er rigid thread here
post your SS bike threads here and here and here, more than half of which are rigid
There are lots of people on this forum riding rigid bikes:thumbsup:
Thanks for the links. I'll be reading the threads today. I did a search before posting but wasn't able to come up with what I wanted.

One of the reasons I asked the question about being the only one was because besides not seeing a lot (I wasn't searching correctly obviously) members here riding rigid... I have never once seen anyone on the trails riding rigid. It's really odd to me. Sure the ride is a bit more harsh but I really enjoy getting the feedback from the frame and forks that a rigid offers. I've only had those forks on for 4 days. As soon as I was finished I climbed on the bike and took it for a ride around the yard and I was in love. Same thing happened with the first trail ride with them. Like I said in my o.p., the bike now reminds me of my bmx days.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone.:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts