Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anyone else on the new XTR get terrible chain noise into a ride in dry/dusty conditions? I start on a clean/lubed chain. Everything sounds find for a dozen miles or so then it slides into this scraping grinding chain noise, on the top 3 cogs under power. New components. Shifts fine, carefully adjusted. My riding buds are like what the hell! I've tried Rock n Roll Gold lube and ProGold Extreme lubes. Same issue with both. Grr so many issues with this new group.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Anyone else on the new XTR get terrible chain noise into a ride in dry/dusty conditions? I start on a clean/lubed chain. Everything sounds find for a dozen miles or so then it slides into this scraping grinding chain noise, on the top 3 cogs under power. New components. Shifts fine, carefully adjusted. My riding buds are like what the hell! I've tried Rock n Roll Gold lube and ProGold Extreme lubes. Same issue with both. Grr so many issues with this new group.
I’ve recently changed from Rock n roll extreme to Squirt chain lube and couldn’t be happier. I always found the rock n roll to not last log, especially after any stream crossings. The squirt lube lasts longer, never really hear my chain anymore and seems to be keep cleaner than the rock n roll.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I’ve recently changed from Rock n roll extreme to Squirt chain lube and couldn’t be happier. I always found the rock n roll to not last log, especially after any stream crossings. The squirt lube lasts longer, never really hear my chain anymore and seems to be keep cleaner than the rock n roll.
Thanks for the tip. I did try Squirt and still have a giant bottle of it I'd love to use. The problem I had was that initially it was awesome, smooth and quiet, but over the course of a few months the chain and drivetrain started to build up a waxy residue and wouldn't move well. I started with a clean chain then would generally brush/wipe down between rides and reapply. Each time i would let the lube dry after application at least an hour. What did I do wrong? Do you have any tips for making Squirt not start to gunk up over time?

·
Formerly of Kent
12,201 Posts
For starters, I’ve seen suggestions of getting the chain warm/hot before application so it actually penetrates into the rollers/pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I did try Squirt and still have a giant bottle of it I'd love to use. The problem I had was that initially it was awesome, smooth and quiet, but over the course of a few months the chain and drivetrain started to build up a waxy residue and wouldn't move well. I started with a clean chain then would generally brush/wipe down between rides and reapply. Each time i would let the lube dry after application at least an hour. What did I do wrong? Do you have any tips for making Squirt not start to gunk up over time?
I haven’t really had any build up at all. Only thing I do is run the chain through a rag before applying, and I usually apply the night before to let it dry out completely before riding.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts