Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased a bread & butter XTR M985 QR rear skewer for a bread & butter 135mm X 10mm application a few months back...I believe I got it from Jenson. At any rate, the display package ditty had two boxes to check, one for 168mm & one for 173mm...mine had the 168mm box checked. I didn't think too much about it at the time, but today I installed it and at face value it appears that maybe I needed the 173mm version.

The end of the skewer is barely visible through the end of the nut...it appears that the axle is grabbing plenty of the nut threads, and the hole in the nut where the axle would be seen is not even threaded...I would not have given it a second thought if there wasn't that 173mm box to check...are you with me?

I just re-checked Jensons website and they are just showing one skewer, no 168mm or 173mm option. The unfortunate part is that I do not have the skewer that came on the bike to compare the new one to.

I fully understand that the bike is setting on the drop-outs & all we are doing is providing clamping force, but...

I've enclosed a couple pictures...school me up guys :skep:

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hard to tell, but you should be fine as long as there's a good bit of the rod threaded into the nut,...
yeah, it does appear that the rod is at least to the end of the threads...have you ever encountered this 168mm or 173mm length option before?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you no doubt know this, but you can double-click the picture and blow it up...

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
......have you ever encountered this 168mm or 173mm length option before?
nope.. guessing it's a Shimano thing

you no doubt know this, but you can double-click the picture and blow it up...
yup, you can go even farther and click on that blow up and it'll bring ya to the actual image on the server not inside the pop up window.

·
Yeah!
1,457 Posts
Both are for frames with 135mm hubs. 168 is the standard skewer length. 173 is for handling thick dropouts that exceed 14mm or something, I forget the exact spec. Read up on that last summer.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Both are for frames with 135mm hubs. 168 is the standard skewer length. 173 is for handling thick dropouts that exceed 14mm or something, I forget the exact spec. Read up on that last summer.
that totally makes sense & was thinking that was no doubt the case...it does surprise me though that Jenson does not list both. I cannot believe my bike, a 2014 Nail Trail, would be a unique application. I am going to give Jenson a shout just to satisfy my curiosity, & if they stock the 173mm, I will get it even though I am probably ok now. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, I did contact Jenson & they said they have never stocked or sold a 173mm...I also called Niagara Cycle and they said same...I do believe it will be fine, just wanted to double-check...thanks again :thumbsup:

I should also mention I should have used the mtbr search feature as there was a very recent thread re the 173mm, but it was a Salsa fat bike, loose skewer incident...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts