Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doesn't look like a lot of trails in the area.... I heard Skeggs is fun but then saw there is some 15mph speed limit? What the hell is that? Does everyone in CA hate mtb or something?

Saw something also about trails closing at sunset? Say goodbye to night riding I guess....

I am generally a pretty solid rider and would normally seek out more advanced trails. Will I have to drive to Santa Cruz to get my fill? Sounds like there's some place called Demo also within an hour?

What's the general mtb community like in the area? Lots of riders? Pretty friendly?

Californians, give me some hope!! If I can't get in ~40 miles of singletrack per week I'm going to lose my mind...:madman:

(Not first post btw, just using an alternate since friends and coworkers don't know I might be moving yet....)

·
Registered
785 Posts
Where are you from that has miles of good riding?

And as far as being screwed... have you looked at housing prices yet?
Lol, yeah, I have... I could feel my blood pressure increasing as I stared at the zillow page in disbelief.... Might not have much of a choice unfortunately.

I am coming from Boise ID. We don't have much tech near town but the nice thing is that the trails start literally 1 block from my apartment. And I can drive on the weekends to find the more aggressive stuff. Just spoiled with the proximity more than anything.

Also, right on, Tapatalk. I guess making an alt account was pointless....

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There's a **** ton of fun trails scattered about but it'll take some time to figure em out. Palo Alto isn't ideal but in time you'll find that there are lots of options...many are poach and many are across the hill but there are some gems. Like above, you will need to drive to find the more aggressive stuff. Welcome to the BA.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I moved to PA last year from SLC. I'd say in general California is a frustrating place to live. I get sick of the traffic, cost of living, and stupid rules. I'm moving back to Utah once I graduate next summer and am really looking forward to it tbh.

That said, you can find good places to ride around here. Skeggs isnt that bad...biggest issue is climbing out at the end sucks and the aforementioned speeding tix (but, I havent gotten any yet). My favorite rides are in Santa Cruz....some legal zones like Demo and some you won't find posted online. It gets old making the drive (50 mins), but the trails are good. Pacifica also has some nice freeride trails. Downieville/Tahoe is great for weekend trips.

Shoot me a PM when you get here if you wanna grab a beer and I can point you in the right direction.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
785 Posts
Thanks for the support guys

Will hit ya'll up when I make it over. Probably be a couple more months.

Also dshack, everything you said about CA is what I'm worried about... traffic, too many people, cost of living. Yuck.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,462 Posts
If you do skeggs right, you go down singletrack and climb fire roads. So the speed limit isn't really an issue.

Close by riding for quick fixes would be Arastradero and Waterdog. Good stuff toward Santa Cruz for your weekend riding pleasure.

Night riding - not much legal here.

Traffic and house prices suck. We need a recession or earthquake to help with this.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,500 Posts
Yeah, we can show you in a month what can take years to figure out.

And when you're railing the finest conditions on nov-Jan... It'll be ok.

·
Over it
3,799 Posts
I'd be way more concerned if I lived in Palo Alto and had to move to Boise: "How will I replace my fix of shredding in the redwoods? Is it true that most of my neighbors will be ********, Mormons, or neo-Nazis? Is winter really 4 months long with 2 months of bad sledding? HOW far is it to the ocean? Is there any culture other my yogurt? Idaho?!"

You'll be fine. Or you'll leave quickly! If you stick it out I can show you around Santa Cruz and buy you a beer** to ease the pain.

** But we don't have any Spud beer!

·
Registered
725 Posts
I literally moved from the bay area to boise last year... and I would NEVER go back. I assume you are at Micron or HP and being transferred?

I barely rode MTB's in my area of the bay (east bay, near mount diablo). Compared the the trails here, I honestly don't think it is worth it in CA, but obviously many would disagree. And being in the south bay, you are a lot closer to some fun stuff in santa cruz and whatnot, whereas for me that was a long, trafficy drive. I was way more into road in CA, and that has flipped in Boise, I can't get enough of the MTBing close by.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I literally moved from the bay area to boise last year... and I would NEVER go back. I assume you are at Micron or HP and being transferred?

I barely rode MTB's in my area of the bay (east bay, near mount diablo). Compared the the trails here, I honestly don't think it is worth it in CA, but obviously many would disagree. And being in the south bay, you are a lot closer to some fun stuff in santa cruz and whatnot, whereas for me that was a long, trafficy drive. I was way more into road in CA, and that has flipped in Boise, I can't get enough of the MTBing close by.
Dude don't bum me out like that...

And yes it's pretty great here isn't it? Where you been riding? Out my front door I usually head up to Sidewinder - Fat Tire - Freestone for a quick loop, then maybe over into Military if I have some extra time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Dude don't bum me out like that...

And yes it's pretty great here isn't it? Where you been riding?
I spend a lot of time on Chukkar Butte and Peggy's/Connie. Way less people, and great for skills with rocks, and climbing Connie SUCKS on a singlespeed, but I do get farther every time. When that gets boring I do sidewinder/FTT, or a corrals loop starting at camelsback, down the road to highlands, then corrals to 8th st and up and down sidewinder. I spend some time in military reserve earlier in the year, but it is a little more of a drive from Meridian.

As for the conditions of CA, I do want you to know what you are looking at coming from here. When I was thinking about moving, I rode once in February in the Camelsback area, and instantly decided this was the town for me. But, as I said, where you are moving has access to some awesome trails, but they aren't at your back door like they are here. If you don't ride road, you should consider it a little bit, as I honestly love it, but find the options here lacking compared to CA. Its like road bike heaven down there!

·
Registered
925 Posts
Also dshack, everything you said about CA is what I'm worried about... traffic, too many people, cost of living. Yuck.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk
If you are worried about those things there may not be a worse place to move to except NYC. At least there is world class riding here.

You will not find an MTB culture in PA. A lot of Techies turned roadies.

Where are you coming from?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,117 Posts

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Doesn't look like a lot of trails in the area.... I heard Skeggs is fun but then saw there is some 15mph speed limit? What the hell is that? Does everyone in CA hate mtb or something?

Saw something also about trails closing at sunset? Say goodbye to night riding I guess....

I am generally a pretty solid rider and would normally seek out more advanced trails. Will I have to drive to Santa Cruz to get my fill? Sounds like there's some place called Demo also within an hour?

What's the general mtb community like in the area? Lots of riders? Pretty friendly?

Californians, give me some hope!! If I can't get in ~40 miles of singletrack per week I'm going to lose my mind...:madman:

(Not first post btw, just using an alternate since friends and coworkers don't know I might be moving yet....)
You will not be able to afford any new bikes because you are moving to Palo Alto.

The nice thing is you can grab your road rig and get a quick workout in at lunch.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.