Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i used to race a hardtail 26 (well equipped trek 8000), this year i was gonna go with the paragon, but they were out. I also had been wantin to go fs for a while so I went with the sugar 292 (The ex9 was a bit high in price imho). I love the bike but Im kinda weary bout racing it, should I rebuild my old 26er for races? Im tryin it this weekend regardless, but I just wanted to see some thoughts on this since im a 29er newbie.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
gunsworth said:
Well, i used to race a hardtail 26 (well equipped trek 8000), this year i was gonna go with the paragon, but they were out. I also had been wantin to go fs for a while so I went with the sugar 292 (The ex9 was a bit high in price imho). I love the bike but Im kinda weary bout racing it, should I rebuild my old 26er for races? Im tryin it this weekend regardless, but I just wanted to see some thoughts on this since im a 29er newbie.
You'd be smokin' crack not to race it....esp since it'll be faster than an equivalent 26er...

Related: I'll be representin' in Ft Smith Arkansas this weekend on my 292....frame is only stock item on it (well, ok, the shifters and derailers are stock as well). I'm the race director, but I've got it set so I can race my class and then keep on working the race...we run beginners first, then sport/ex...so I'll be done before they sport/ex start...

If you're in the area, this is one of the premier Arkansas events (at least in terms of course quality): www.springhillclassic.net

·
Registered
47 Posts
xc race worthy

gunsworth said:
I agree w/ncjo1. The bike should rock, especially faster courses. Locally, I've seen most riders take at least 2 to 3 minutes per hour off their typical race times after making the switch to 29" in fast events like the Chequamegon 40 and the short & fat. 292s are a little heavy, but steady, smart riding will bring you fast times.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ncj01 said:
the '05's come with such a shock stock...

actually here'sa photo of a '04 293:

yup it came with a propedal Fox Float rear, newer version than the one pictured, and a poplock Reba Race.

Im only concerned because the couses do have some significant climbing (but followed by downhill of course, so it should even out) but they are usually hardpacked dirt, so I will likely be gettin some nanos (not psyched bout the weight gain but hey..)or hold out to see if the python is released. But sunday is calling for rain/snow so Im definitely set for now.

Ill also post a follow up monday with pics, assuming my new camera comes in.

Thanks for the insight, hopefully Ill kick some ass and gain braggin rights bout the 29er. Got 3rd overall 2 years ago in a similar circuit, so it sounds like it shouldnt be an issue...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rear shock

I installed the 5th element on my 293, nothing stock but the frame, and it made a good bike great. With a good wheelset, WB 1.0 air front shock and using v-brakes (which are my preference the weight is at 26lbs. I had 2 wins and a second on my 293 last season in the men's sport 50+.

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Race it!!

Here is my 2004 293 that I plan to race this year in many endurance races.

Nothing is stock on the bike. I even had the the Sybil link machined and deannodized then annodized clear. The bike is set-up in the 3 inch travel mode because the only fork I had in stock was a 3 inch travel Marz Marathon, I do not like suspension imbalance and I feel it when the bike is set-up in the 4 inch mode with the front at 3 inches. Future plans are for a Propedal rear shock and a White fork.

Weight is at 27 pounds on certified digital scales. I have access to calibrated, certified scales at my place of employment. No bathroom scales here!

Go and race it and you will love it.

----Chad

Attachments

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Without a doubt, do it

Run the numbers and you'll be totally amazed at how little 3-5# slows you down on the climbs. You get to go the same speed on the flats and actually a little faster on the descents. Plus you've got the dual squish to take the hits and big wheels to roll fast and rail the corners. Race it, without a doubt, and good luck too :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Go for it

My bike is 2004 292 stock except for saddle, pedals and ergo bars so it is about 1/2 lb
heavier than stock. Last year on my NRS I only got to about 1/3 of the field.
This year with the 29er I had 3 races so far and 3 podium standings. I race in the expert 40+.

·
Registered
236 Posts
You would be a fool not to race it. I bumped up a class and started to place in some of the events here in Wisco on my 292. Frankly I'm chalking it up to the bike. If your concerned about weight you can skinny the 292 down to the low 26 lb range with some selective parts specs.

e

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
I'm shorter than you at 1.90m but with a bigger inseam at 95.1cm :eek: (like Cloxxki, i'm of the Orang-Utang type :D )

I think i'd better be on an L rather than a XL like yours...
Could you tell me what is the lenght of your stem and what is your saddle height on the pic ?

Thks
V

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Details

20.100 FR said:
I'm shorter than you at 1.90m but with a bigger inseam at 95.1cm :eek: (like Cloxxki, i'm of the Orang-Utang type :D )

I think i'd better be on an L rather than a XL like yours...
Could you tell me what is the lenght of your stem and what is your saddle height on the pic ?

Thks
V
The Bontrager Race stem I am using is 120mm reach with a 7 degree rise. I have been using a 5 degree rise on most of my 120mm stems. I did experiment heavily with a 110mm reach stem last year, a bit short at times, but quicker handling. If I could find a 115mm reach stem, I would be all set.

I had a Fit Kit done on me to determine my proper dimensions for bike fit. From the top of the saddle to the center of the bottom bracket spindle my measurement is 33 1/2 inches. I hope this helps. Correction, my inseam is 35 1/2 inches, not 36 1/2 inches.

Roll fast,

Chad

·
Cassoulet forever !
2,260 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'm kind of surprised, because your saddle height 85cm is exactly what i use (with 180mm cranks) (this is where i feel good and is exactly what an ergonomic study told me to use)

I think you use a very high saddle height for your inseam !!!
I use the classical 0.885 coefficient. You are far from it !

Do you use very short cranks and a lot of toe down pedaling technique ?

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
cjsbike said:
Weight is at 27 pounds on certified digital scales. I have access to calibrated, certified scales at my place of employment. No bathroom scales here!

Go and race it and you will love it.

----Chad
can you give a full spec on that build? I'm curious to see how close mine might be to yours.

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Fit

20.100 FR said:
Thanks for the info.
I'm kind of surprised, because your saddle height 85cm is exactly what i use (with 180mm cranks) (this is where i feel good and is exactly what an ergonomic study told me to use)

I think you use a very high saddle height for your inseam !!!
I use the classical 0.885 coefficient. You are far from it !

Do you use very short cranks and a lot of toe down pedaling technique ?
I use 175's. I not a toe down pedaler. I have been using the 33 1/2 inch set up for years. My hips are stationary with out any rocking in the saddle. I will further investigate my numbers.

---Chad

·
Bunker Hill Bikes
308 Posts
Bits and pieces

ncj01 said:
can you give a full spec on that build? I'm curious to see how close mine might be to yours.
Full spec on my 293:

Sram items:
-XO rear derailleur
-XO shifters-ti bolts
-5.0 front derailleur with ti bolt
-PC-99 hollow pin chain
-PG-990 cassette
-9.0sl brake levers-ti bolts
-9.0sl hubs with alloy axles
Bontrager items:
-Race stem with ti bolts
-Race Lite handle bar
-Race Lite cranks with alloy chainring and crank bolts
-X Lite seatpost with ti bolt
-Maverick rims
Other items:
-Selle Italia SLR saddle
-Alloy bottle cage bolts
-Crank Bros. Egg Beater S pedals
-Pedros Blackwall grips
-WTB Nanoraptors-kelvar bead
-Salsa tubes
-Avid BB7 Mechanical brakes-Sram tweaked with ti and magesium hardware, thanks Ed.
-DT Comp spokes with alloy nips
-Salsa Lip Locker seatpost clamp
-Velocity cage
-Marzocchi Marathon fork-bone stock and heavy!
-Fox Float R
-Carbon head set spacers
-King headset
-Truvativ Giga Pipe SL bottom bracket

I have other special mods:
-Sybil link has been machined to reduce the weight by 17.42
-Ti bolts used on the three pivot shafts
-Machined Disc tab on the rear, reduced the weight by a measly 8 grams.

I am not a weight weenie, never have been. I smartly spec my bike with ti and alloy hardware where it is needed. I do not use ti bottom bracket spindles or pedal axles. Just use it were you can get away with it. All my ti and alloy hardware is carry over from other bike projects.

I hope this helps,

Chad

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.