Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this set of brand new Ultegra WH-6700 tubeless. At first they were going to be a dedicated road wheelset with tubeless Intensive and Fusion 3 combo. I wanted the comfier ride and assistance against the goatheads. Get a lighter faster rolling pavement wheelset for the long days in the saddle or climbing with no dirt. It was part of the reason I wanted a CX bike and not just a road bike. Two for one kind of thing.

My CX bike rides on heavy durable Alex Pro 28 32h clinchers with Speedmax Pro 32. So far I'm lovin' it for my fun rides on pavement, pavement/dirt combo and smoother fast mtb trail duties. I don't race so the weight isn't a concern. Tubed but no goatheads this time of year or I've been lucky. Tried making them ghetto tubeless but to no avail. I don't even think for a nanosecond about hurting them or hitting a rut or rock which means they're doing a good job.

Reason for posting: I have no desire to put the Ultegras on. Right now my road and/or cx duties are being handled by the Ritchey tires and Alex wheels just fine. PSI is the only thing I change even if a 100% pavement day or a mixture or full-dirt. Maybe I don't feel the need to put $400 wheels on a CX bike I scored for a screaming deal. Maybe it's the frugal principle of the thought or maybe I'm just content riding the heavier wheels tubed all the time. Today's ride will be solo, all on pavement, and the Ultegras are in the spare bedroom.

Before I sell to a local rider do any of you have feedback about keeping them?
Will the desire to eventually have a committed tubeless road setup come around?
Will the weight, psi and tread of the current setup become an issue for my non-racing non-group riding needs?

1,328 Posts
Regarding road tubeless - I spent most of this past season using tubeless setup for road training even doing a few early season "Roubaix" type races on them and where I was initially skeptical, I'm now sold. I just wish they made a true 25.

Despite the commonly held (mis)conception, weight is an issue but "rotating weight" is more of a myth than a reality. The biggest issue with your Alex wheels will be strength/stiffness. If they're pretty tough, no real reason to get rid of them.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're tough. They're laterally stiff, at least I don't know of anything bad (and I'm pretty picky about off camber trails and hard cornering). They're so middle of the road average that it's a good thing, if that makes sense, and I am having a bit of buyer's remorse for the WH-6700: $400 wheels on a $950 Scott CX Team just doesn't add up to me for my intended uses and satisfaction.

Selling the WH-6700 would pay for most of my new-to-me Surly Karate Monkey SS 29er fully rigid ($625 delivered with extra set of handlebars).

Regarding road tubeless - I spent most of this past season using tubeless setup for road training even doing a few early season "Roubaix" type races on them and where I was initially skeptical, I'm now sold. I just wish they made a true 25.

Despite the commonly held (mis)conception, weight is an issue but "rotating weight" is more of a myth than a reality. The biggest issue with your Alex wheels will be strength/stiffness. If they're pretty tough, no real reason to get rid of them.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Try the Ultegra's before you make a decision.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This may be a sign: end of today's insanely fun 4 hour pavement/dirt ride I get front and rear flats. Tiny thorns.

Rear had two thorns about 4 miles from home. Only had 1 tube today (stupid, 2 is the norm) and rode the last mile at 2mph when the front went flat; rode on durable/strong Alex rim. Too tired to stop, no spare tube.

The 1 tube broke. Performance Bicycle brand and the valve stem end broke off unscrewing it! That one will be going back along with the other PB I left in the garage.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep. Park glueless. After the new tube's valve stem broke I picked the holed tube off the ground, pumped air in to find hole and patched. If I would've had 2 tubes I may have stopped and fixed the front but at that point, after 4 hours of riding and only a mile or so from home, the slowly flatting-now flat front rode the remainder on a tight fitting Speedmax Pro 32 and a heavy, durable Alex Race Pro 28.

"Only had 1 tube today (stupid, 2 is the norm)"

no patch kit?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts