Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somehow it doesn't look quite right to me... Is this the correct way to fit the cable? Would really appreciate any help, thank you.

EDIT: Definitely seems to be wrong somehow because I can't shift onto the largest chain ring like this...

·
Registered
329 Posts
The cable end isn't as important as long as the cable that is in/near the housing. If that's buggered, you should start with a new one. Otherwise, should be ok functionally.
My OCD would force me to start over though lol

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes. First make sure you do like 3 turns off on the barrel adjuster on the shifter. Then, set the limit screw for the small chainring so that it won't shift too far to the inside n dump the chain off it. Then install the cable and pull it as tight as you can without moving it and tighten bolt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The cable was so mangled that it immediately frayed when I cut it off and I couldn't fit the end cap on it anymore. So I did what I always do when in a tight spot and used gaffer tape instead. This should be okay until I get a hold of another shifter cable right?

I there really any reason why I couldn't just leave it like that as well? I mean, it doesn't look very nice, but it should do the job, right?

Thanks for all the help so far, by the way :).

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,774 Posts
the tape will eventually come off so...but it's not an actual issue unless you get poked by it

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
If you are too worried about the tape and cable end, you can twist it up (best you can) and superglue it. If it's wound tight enough the glue will prevent fraying.

Otherwise, doesn't need an end cap of any type to function. It will eventually fray and could poke you is about it.

Cable will fray more easily if you don't have good cutters anyway.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,774 Posts
^ it is dual action, can be top or bottom. fits more bikes this way

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
is this a top pull front der? something looks off.
are you sure you are routing the cable properly? View attachment 1264271
^ it is dual action, can be top or bottom. fits more bikes this way
I was actually wondering what the point of that thing on top was. So this is basically an alternate way of fitting the outer casing, presumably for when you're not running your cables through the inside of the frame?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I was actually wondering what the point of that thing on top was. So this is basically an alternate way of fitting the outer casing, presumably for when you're not running your cables through the inside of the frame?
Yep. If your frame has under the top tube cable routing, it would route down through that opening.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.