Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
title says it all. the rubber travel indicator has never slid down the the shock body anymore that this. is there a bottom out bumper inside the shock that is keeping the shock from compressing full stroke, or is this all the travel its got?

thanks--

Attachments

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2.00" the shocks a 2.25", so there must be a bumper? I was assuming that, just wanted to hear from other DHXa owners

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yes, you are bottoming. Every air shock I have had and every one that I am aware of does not use the whole shaft. It stops just before the end as shown in your picture.

-It is normal for shocks to end their travel before the end of the shaft
-Yes, you are bottoming out.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that really sucks. Is it normal to bottom out on a 4.5-5 ft to flat then? Not trying to sound like a complete idiot, but why am I bottoming out on such a small drop, I weigh only about 145 and am running super high pressures. Is there a different wt oil i can run in it to stiffen it up a little bit? If so is there anyone here who's opened one up before who can give me some tips?

Just to eliminate possible causes, It's not a malfunctioning shock, its already been back to fox under warranty...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
dowst said:
Wow, that really sucks. Is it normal to bottom out on a 4.5-5 ft to flat then? Not trying to sound like a complete idiot, but why am I bottoming out on such a small drop, I weigh only about 145 and am running super high pressures. Is there a different wt oil i can run in it to stiffen it up a little bit? If so is there anyone here who's opened one up before who can give me some tips?

Just to eliminate possible causes, It's not a malfunctioning shock, its already been back to fox under warranty...
I'm honestly not sure at all. The only thing I've ever had to adjust on my rides is Air Pressure and Rebound. The DHX has a huge amount of adjustments so there must be a way to stiffen it up. What pressure are you running right now? I try to run a little more than rider weight on my X-Fusion.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
im running about twice as much as recommended, 250psi main, 140boost, full bottom out resistance. Do you bottom when you drop 5ft to flat at about a slow running pace?

thanks--

PS the leverage ratio on my frame is 1:3, if that helps.

·
Registered
778 Posts
A true 5 feet to flat is a fairly rough landing for any bike. The lack of transition means that the shock has to dissipate a lot of force. I wouldn't be concerned about bottoming off of that. Your pressures do seem a bit odd though. How does the shock feel? After all, if you had to ask if the shock had bottomed or not, it couldn't have felt very bad at all.

G

·
wow, lets slow the train down here people.

You have a 3:1 ratio on that frame and your wondering why you are bottoming out that shock on a 4-5 foot drop to flat? Your also wondering why you have to run such high air pressures? Take a moment and think about that. Sounds like you paid for what you got. You are using full travel of the shock, your not getting a harsh bottom out nor a metal to metal contact. What are you complainig about then? Sounds like the shock is working like it should.

I will give you a tip though if you are so worried about using full travel out of that shock you can run a non-high volume air sleeve, which will help in preventing bottom out and ramp up the progressiveness of that shock. However I wouldn't even recommend that as it doesn't sound like you even need it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The DHX Air is known for blowing through its travel easily, that been said any properly adjusted shock should bottom out on a 5 foot drop to flat so I don't really see any problem here.

Have you tried closing the bottom out adjuster on the shock? this is exactly what its meant for, preventing bottom out without rising the air pressure.

·
Older than I feel
1,876 Posts
Whoaohohohoh said:
You have a 3:1 ratio on that frame and your wondering why you are bottoming out that shock on a 4-5 foot drop to flat? Your also wondering why you have to run such high air pressures? Take a moment and think about that. Sounds like you paid for what you got. You are using full travel of the shock, your not getting a harsh bottom out nor a metal to metal contact. What are you complainig about then? Sounds like the shock is working like it should.
Agreed.

If you want to see what full travel looks like, let all the pressure out of the main and boost chambers, cycle the suspension a couple times, and repeat.

·
Master of None
1,462 Posts
chucko58 said:
Agreed.

If you want to see what full travel looks like, let all the pressure out of the main and boost chambers, cycle the suspension a couple times, and repeat.
While you probably can take all the air out of the main chamber, don't let all the air out of the boost chamber and move it; that will damage the shock requiring a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
presslab said:
While you probably can take all the air out of the main chamber, don't let all the air out of the boost chamber and move it; that will damage the shock requiring a rebuild.
I know, emulsification :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts