Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit (2019/07/12): Issue resolved. I wanted to put this at the top of the page to make sure it was visible. So it appears SRAM will be paying the bike shop for their labor, and they have given us "upgraded" brakes, free of charge (giving guide ultimates in place of guide rsc brakes).

The bike shop is Zion Cyclery, in Zion IL who I feel have been very nice and treated us well even though we bought direct to consumer bikes (not from their shop, obviously). I will be visiting them again and would recommend them to others. They could of turned us away or charged us more, but after a few phone calls they worked with SRAM and resolved the issue on bikes they didn't even sell. Great LBS.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doesn't hurt to ask, seems like you're going to have to bite the bullet on this one. No one works for free.
Trainwreck, totally agree, and I want the shop to get paid (they deserve it and in my opinion went above and beyond to help us out)... I guess I'm more annoyed with SRAM and the bike mfg.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Nothing wrong with being upset about a bill for components that should have worked right from the beginning.

I cut hose and bleed brakes myself, have no idea what it costs these days. If it is both front and rear for bikes, it is $35 pet brake? Sounds okay to me.

You can watch DIY videos on YouTube and save some money. By the 4th brake you'll have it down.

On the warranty issue, it depends on the agreement s with shops. If SRAM doesn't pay the shop it would be unreasonable for you to ask shop to do it for nothing, don't you think?

Your issue us with SRAM and the buy-direct company that sold you the bikes.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing wrong with being upset about a bill for components that should have worked right from the beginning.

I cut hose and bleed brakes myself, have no idea what it costs these days. If it is both front and rear for bikes, it is $35 pet brake? Sounds okay to me.

You can watch DIY videos on YouTube and save some money. By the 4th brake you'll have it down.

On the warranty issue, it depends on the agreement s with shops. If SRAM doesn't pay the shop it would be unreasonable for you to ask shop to do it for nothing, don't you think?

Your issue us with SRAM and the buy-direct company that sold you the bikes.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Yes, $35 per brake. I do all my own wrenching on everything except brakes... just never invested in the tools or wanted to deal with oil. I agree, the shop deserves the money. Just not sure how to go about it now with SRAM/bike mfg.

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
Manufacturers typically don't cover labor. My LBS covers all the labor for defective parts on the bikes I bought there. They've replaced fork dampers (even on a bike I didn't buy there), hubs, fixed multiple creaks, and even trued wheels for me multiple times at no charge.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
Yes, $35 per brake. I do all my own wrenching on everything except brakes... just never invested in the tools or wanted to deal with oil. I agree, the shop deserves the money. Just not sure how to go about it now with SRAM/bike mfg.
If you haven't talked with SRAM directly, then I'd try that. If you can go up the chain at the bike company then I'd try that, too. You may get some response from the Bike MFG if you made it a public post in their forum on MTBR?

The main reason I am suggesting this is that this type of issue is negotiable. It is up to them if they want to negotiate a resolution, and obviously you do. There are bike shops with either practices or agreements where the labor gets covered by the company who made the defect, or they have some other arrangements based on ongoing work they do.

But if this company and SRAM are not going to budge at all then you may at least want to reveal the bike brand so others know what to expect when they buy from them. There are no shortage of companies who will tell you that you were compensated through the much lower price of the bike-and that's okay, too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
since 4/10/2009
34,591 Posts
You've got a few things going on, but I don't think the direct-to-consumer issue is the biggest one.

The biggest one is that SRAM still sells POS brakes and manufacturers still put them on bikes.

My wife's bike has Guide RS brakes on it (and a huge pile of other SRAM products) and they're teetering towards getting replaced. IMO, they're not really even worth warrantying. I've encountered more than one person who has had to go through that process more than once.

It's part of the reason why my last 3 bikes have been built from the frame up. I gave that option to my wife for her last bike purchase and she didn't want it because it would have meant she'd be waiting longer for the bike.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@cjsb, I didn't want to reveal the bike company as I wanted to give them a chance to help out, but it doesn't seem like they are going to budge. They said that the warranty issue is between me and the bike shop and SRAM....

@Harold, I hear you... I'm thinking more towards just switching over to Shimano.

I'll try giving SRAM a call tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I've been 'direct' type consumer for years but I do all my own mntc. I can see how this could be an issue if you need to have a shop fix or tweak anything that needs attention.
I'm the same with my cars, motorcycles, etc. Dealers and shops have let me down too many times so I take the time to figure it out and do it myself. I enjoy the challenge of solving problems...it's sorta like therapy for me.

Regarding SRAM brakes...my current bike (see sig) came with SRAM Guide R's and they have been fine. I've heard/read all the horror stories and I was always a Shimano guy but I have no complaints. After 1.5 years and over 2,000 miles of use I have replaced pads a couple of times but had no issues beyond regular mntc.

I can say the same with my dropper (Reverb Steath 170mm) which also has endless threads where people have had problems. Mine had issues out of the box riding in the cold (REAL cold...below 20 degF). After researching I bought a bleed kit and did a proper bleed of dropper and plunger. NEVER a problem since.

It's easy to say 'do it yourself' but the reality is many folks don't have the tools, the place to work on the bike, and the patience/background/ability to do it. That's why shops are there and that is their living so they need to get paid obviously.

Bottom line...if you buy a bike on-line and don't plan on learning how to maintain it then you should be prepared to pay the man when problems come up.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
It is just the nature of warranty however, and perhaps is something that should change.

I do heating and air conditioning work. Let's say I have a customer that had XYZ A/C install their system for them 3 years ago, and since then the owner has retired and they closed.

The system has a compressor failure, which I go out and diagnose. The compressor is under manufacturer's warranty. I tell a customer he is going to owe about $500 for refrigerant recovery, system flush, and labor to install the compressor.
I definitely would not do the work for free. First off, I did not even sell the equipment and made any profit on that equipment. so this situation that you are having translated into my stereo would mean that I as the company that made no money on the sale of the equipment, should not get paid anything, but fix it.
Obviously that is not right.

Should the manufacturer of the equipment or the compressor manufacturer pay for my labor and all of the incidental charges? I don't know. All that is truly going to do is raise prices on everything because now the manufacturer is accepting more liability.

Shop should get paid, you should not have to pay for new brakes. So how does all that happen? I don't know honestly.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sounds on par -warranty parts, shop charges labor costs for installation. Nut sure the $140 per bike cost though. Maybe they need to separate the brake from caliper for internal routing, then full bleed?

I'd actually suggest you forfeit the warranty and purchasing new brakes for the same cost that are more reliable -unless you otherwise enjoy SRAM brakes aside from this situation. You can purchase brakes for about this cost then pay your shop to install. Maybe slight upgrade too, larger rotors and better pads.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Hi zeppman,

It's a sad fact that one can't rely on SRAM for brakes. There are multiple threads on multiple sub-forums here on MTBR that document the issues. Many people don't have issues...but why should the consumer pay to play Russian Roulette?

I'd cut my losses and move onto another brand of brakes.

It's very, very poor that the company that you bought the bikes from hasn't sorted this out for you. Please name them. Over time it may be shamed into improving it's behaviour

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,166 Posts
No you are not being unreasonable, but Sram brakes are disposable. Shimano and move on.
Well, Shimano brakes are the definition of disposable, since they don't make any seal kits. If a part fails, you have to throw them away. I've had it happen a few times. One was warrantied thankfully, but one was on vacation and totally screwed me. The real crappy part is you can't set them up at the beginning of the season with fresh seals, to prevent any mid-season failure that could happen while you are screaming down a mountain. Nope, you just get to wait till they fail at some inopportune time. There are some other issues, like wandering bite-point and weeping fluid when you leave them sitting for a few weeks, but not offering replacement pistons, cylinders, seals, etc., is just BS. That and now Shimano is into 4 different mounting standards.

Sorry, I just don't see the big "S" as the brake-king they were a few years back. I'm not going to be buying any more of their brakes due to these issues.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
This is the issue I have with all of these "direct to consumer" ....if a component has an issue, you should be able to contact the "direct to consumer" seller and deal with the warranty through them. You shouldn't have to go to some other shop to handle it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.