Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be honest, is it a tedious process or am I just an idiot.:D
I installed the xt rear derailleur & had a lbs look at it to make sure everything was correct. All is good I just need to adjust it now. I began adjusting it & now I have a lot of slack on the cable & I cant get the shifter into 6,7,8 gears or into 1,2 gears. plus it shifts very sloppy goingup or down? Any suggesttions?

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know there shouldn't be any slack, that is what I am trying to figure out.I am using the adjustments at the shifter & the derailleur not the "H" & "L" screws.

As for directions I was just crap shooting it & it went hay wire from there.:madman:

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
So what directions are you using now?

;)

Search this question on google and you will be on your way to being a master derailler adjuster.

"how do I adjust a rear derailleur?"

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhhhhhh. A sigh of relief. I went out last night & left the bike alone, read some articles on r/d adjustments & hit it again after work today. All I can say is why didn't I read the directions in the first place.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, it shifts smooth as ever & the chain has no noises anymore.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
ironbike1 said:
Ahhhhhhh. A sigh of relief. I went out last night & left the bike alone, read some articles on r/d adjustments & hit it again after work today. All I can say is why didn't I read the directions in the first place.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, it shifts smooth as ever & the chain has no noises anymore.:thumbsup:
Nice job!

It is amazing what a little instruction can do. ;)

You have to love the feeling of getting it handled AND in gaining decent knowledge about how the brute-force system of a derailler works. It is really easy with a little instruction, but seems impossible without it.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that sure is the truth. It is nice to know the bike & all the parts I have on it. I took it out tonight to test it & I was amzed at the quality of shifts with the XT compared to my old acera. PLus the chain makes the ride som much more smooth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts