Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build an all mountain/enduro hardtail with a 140mm fork. I've got a pretty good idea about what components I want, but I really have no idea about what frame to get. Any suggestions and/or recommendations would be appreciated. I've searched around the forums for frame options and I've found a few options:
Transition TransAM
NS Society
Santa Cruz Chameleon
A few considerations, I'm a bit of a weight weenie, and I only weigh 145 lbs myself, so while I do want a frame that can handle a 140mm fork, I don't need a particularly beefy frame. That being said, I think the TransAM is too heavy for me at 6lbs 2oz. I'm looking for a frame thats around 5lbs or less. Also, ISGC mounts would be nice, because I'm looking to run a 1x9 setup. However, this is not totally necessary, I'm looking into the MRP 1x9 chainguide and it uses a BB mount. As far as pricing, I'm looking to spend 500 USD or less on the frame. Thanks for any input.

As a side note, I've seen a lot of people talking about steel AM frames. What are the effective differences between a steel and an aluminum frame?

·
You wanna go ridin?
297 Posts
Its gonna be tough to get an all mountain steel frame at the 5lb mark. I don't know absolutely for sure as I don't know every steel frame out there. Been researching quite a few burly steel frames myself. A couple that immediately come to mind are the Ragley blue pig and On One inbred and both weigh in the 5.5-6lb range depending on size.

An all mountain steel frame by definition has thicker walled tubes and more metal at certain joints like bottom bracket, headtube, and where top/bottom tube meet the head tube. It needs all this to be able to take the pounding. The lighter steel XC frames are much lighter because of the thinner tubes and shaving off extra metal etc but they can't take the beating.

To me differance in steel to Al on the trail is Al is very stiff, transmitts every bump even amplifying them, and its a little twitchier. Steel is still fairly stiff, smooths out the trail a little while still keeping you plugged into the ride-kind of mutes things. I also feel a bit of a snap action when pounding the pedals where on the down stroke I can feel a tnuc hair of flex but then on the up stroke it seems to snap back due to steels elasticity. Steel is the best ride IMO.

Good luck.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, just the reply i was looking for. I'll definitely go for a steel frame then. the ns society is steel and just above 5lbs, so right now I think that's my top choice. any other suggestions?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts