Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some new bars, I've got 685's but would like to go nuts and try up to 760mm (no bigger) and chop down if necessary.

Suggestions? Something strong enough for general AM use, but still light.

The bike is a Blur LT, 150mm fork, 70mm stem.

·
2,672 Posts
I wrote up a thread on the Race Face Atlas freeride bar:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=643544

This bar is 785 mm or about 31 inches. Its actually lighter than my old 27 inch bar. I overall love the wide bar, except for slow speed climbing and pedaling. Its really shines on fast sweeping singletrack and downhills.

The wide bar combined with a short stem slows the steering down at speed so you'll have more control.

I'd recommend the upgrade.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Since its a AM style bike go with something lighter. The new carbon bars are looking promising and I have seen a few DH builds with them. Check out ENVE or Easton Havocs. both wide and can always be cut down. Also plenty strong. I rode the carbon easton monkeylite DH bars last season and hit 15 foot gaps and 8 foot drops. Carbon seems to be the way the industry is going and in a hurry

If you go for aluminum then I highly suggest the Deity black label's. Plenty wide and sub 300 grams. Best feeling bars I have tried (I have tried many many others)

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just went to the Haven Carbon and man are they nice, not as wide as you are looking for but they are 170 gms and stronger then last years monkeylite dh. I am also waiting on an Easton Havoc carbon which is 225 grms at 785 and super strong so both are options

·
Registered
851 Posts
I recently got a set of '11 Easton Havocs for my Nomad. I got the 30mm rise which Im really happy with. I thought the 750 might be a tad too wide as thats about what I run on my DH bike, but it turns out the 750 feel great on this bike.

I would have gone for the carbons, theyre just cost prohibitive. If you can afford them go for it. The Havens are way too narrow, I was coming off a set of 700 so another 10mm wider wasnt enough to justify buying new bars.

Also be sure to check the other numbers when choosing your new bars (back bend and upsweep). The Havocs are a pretty common 9x5.

·
T.W.O
1,730 Posts
Just got a cheap hussefelt bar but at only 680 wide it isn't close to your 760 you sir are nuts! lol They are right about the carbon though, it seems much stronger than it ever used to be in many DH and AM applications. Carbon is the future.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I'm totally disappointed from handlebar manufacturers. My previous was Reverce XXL with 9/5 like they say on e-mail but it occurs that is only one bent 9 degree perpendicular to the "rise" of the bar. Yesterday I received the new Renthal 780 with 7/5 (38mm rise), and this thing must be like Boobar (30 rise) 7/5 that I rode also. And It's not. For sure. It has monstrous sweep to the back.
In the end I'm thinking that every brand is making it's own sweeps which has noting in common with sweeps of another.:mad:
PS. The "back" and "up" sweeps should be measured in my understanding in relation to the inclination of "rise" of the bar, but maybe the manufacturers do not think so.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I thought the 760's might be a bit wide, but they were actually really good.. within an hour I felt as though they were "right". I'm now basically trying to find the best value/lightest 760mm bars on CRC, preferably in white :)

EDIT: Also thinking whether I should downsize my stem again from 70mm... maybe not for now.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love my RaceFace SIXC bars:

BUILT FOR: AM/Light FR
DIMENSIONS: 28.5" or 725mm width
SWEEP: 9° rearward, 4° upward
RISE: 0.75"
BAR DIAMETER: 31.8mm
WEIGHT: 220g
COLOUR: Matte Carbon

I'm running these with a 60mm stem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.