Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to trim a little weight off my 2009 Niner Rip9. The bike will se some endurance racing with LOTS of climbing this summer. Im 210lbs and my riding consists of XC+. Not a big jumper, but I dont want to worry about the odd big hit. Hardest use of my bike would be Downyville or similar. Thinking EC90 stem and a monkeylite carbon bar. Any impressions on the durability of this combo.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yeh definitely check out the Monkeylite DH. I had a pair of them for a few years and they rocked. Just sold them actually :/ Maybe a Thomson X4 stem as well? I am 210lbs/6ft as well and ride Thomson X4 with Sunline V1 OS. Loving that combo so much.. Worth a look.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I have a Easton Carbon DH bar here and will run that for now, although its a tad heavier than I wanted. Is the EC90 stem a little too light as well? I have a Sunline 80mm here, but I was hoping for something lighter and a little longer. I would probably get used to it fairly quickly. I would like to cut as much weight as possible without having to worry about component failure. Oh I should probably add, I right "light" for me weight.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
I don't think either are very good AM components, but they're great 29'er components. Should be fine.

·
Registered
862 Posts
FWIW I emailed edge and got this reply. In my email to them I said I only weigh 140 so take that into consideration!

Ben,

We have tested this bar against almost all its competitors and it was way way stronger and fatigued way better. We have pro DH riders using it that weigh well over 170lbs. While the bar is really light it is manufactured different than our competition, add that we have been very meticulous in the placement of the fibers, and for that we end up with a lighter and stronger bar.

You'll be fine.

Jake Pantone

Edge Composites LLC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.