Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked about this in another thread that someone else started in a different section, but decided asking here would be a good idea.

So, as the title suggests my question is are there any good all mountain 29ers around?

Someone in the other thread mentioned a banshee paradox. I like the sound of it, apart from possibly the funny shock absorbing seat stays or whatever. I like my bikes to be all round as stiff as possible. Unfourtunally I can find it for sale anywhere in England.

I am quite light (only about 120 pounds) so what other people may not be able to use as an all mountain bike I might, if that helps at all. I also quite like slackish head angles on bikes, but am not sure how head angles on 26ers relate to head angles on 29ers.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, should have mentioned I'm looking for a hardtail. I hate the feel of FS in pretty much every way.

I should probably also mention that I'm in England. I mention this because my local trails are in the woods and the ground is clay. This means at least reasonably mud clearence is essential.

The Niner E.M.D 9 looks kinda what I'm after, although again, it has funky flexy seat stays. I have admitadly never ridden a bike with these, but seeing as I don't like FS and am not overly keen on the feeling of steel bikes, I'm not sold on the idea.

·
Registered
628 Posts
G'day Dheorl

Have a look at OnOne's web site. Putting a longer fork on an Inbred or Scandal will raise the BB, shorten the cockpit and slacken the tube angles as per an AM bike.

Perhaps send a PM to "rickkane". He is in the UK aswell and is currently considering a long fork for his Inbred to handle some chunkier hard tail riding.

With the OnOne you can support a local business and spend a lot less than the EMD9.

Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
217 Posts
There's an active thread in this forum right now called Paradox Fun. The Paradox doesn't have shock absorbing stays. They just have a lil bend in 'em that gives maybe a little compliance in the rear, but overall this a VERY stiff bike, even for my fat azz. The rear stays are square tubes with a rib in the middle. Having ridden most of the production 29ers, I can safely say the Paradox is one of the stiffest. The other 2 AM 29ers to look at are Sinister Simon Bar and Canfield Bros Nimble 9er. I absolutely love the Paradox.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
If you can't find what you're looking for in the Banshee Paradox, Sinister Simon Bar, Chumba HX2 or the Canfield Brown Turd...Then go custom. There are plenty of builders that could build what ever your heart desires.

Another sweet option would be a custom Ventana El Padrino, now that would be nice.

·
beater
6,133 Posts
I certainly wouldn't call the EMD9 an all-mountain ride, not as the term is getting used these days. I have one and I'd say it's straight XC. It's aluminum, not a steel frame, by the way.

Based on my reading I don't think that at 120 lbs there's any way you'd find the Paradox flexy. Bonesetter2004 has one in the UK, so availability shouldn't be an issue for you. I'm not sure what you're referring to as shock absorbing stays on that frame, though.

I'm ~225, and the Paradox, Simon Bar or Canfield Nimble 9 are on my shortlist for the next hardtail. The only issue for me is that I've bought into the tapered headtube idea.

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
Here's a cold shower of negativity!

at 120lbs i doubt you can feel much flex in any frame. I'd say anything this side of an old 1" tube road bike is going to ride like a buckboard.

At 120lbs you're going to have to be fkn skinny as fk to be tall enough to have non-wacky AM geometry if you want a 29'er.

An AM 29'er with adequate mud clearance could be built, but it'd be a pain in the butt. I haven't looked, but i bet you could discount anything that doesn't have a chainstay yolk.

Your weight has almost nothing to do with whether you can use it as an AM bike, that's all about geometry.

26'er.

·
High Grade Skinjob.
104 Posts
hey there. the guys importing the paradox are these guys..there's no paradox on their site, but they're the ones to talk to:
freeborn bikes: http://www.freeborn.co.uk/

i love my inbred, but the HT might be steeper than you're after.

that being said, for my 'local' riding (GT/inners, mostly) i've never thought that there was anything holding back this bike...the frame is cheap as chips and nigh on bullet proof, according to my wholly unscientific method of testing....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even though I'm only 120lbs I still notice flex between different bikes.

Does anyone know who sells one in the UK? I can't see it mentioned anywhere, even on the mythic website. The tyre clearence does look a bit tight for me as well

I'm 6ft btw, not sure if that makes 29er geometry viable for me or not. Weight wise I was thinking more along the lines I could ride the same bike of a much bigger drop than a 200lb guy, without having to worry as much about breaking it. I know that to be a good AM bike it also needs the right geometry.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far though guys, will have a good look through them.

Thanks rick, your post wasn't there when I started writing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
How does HT angle relate between the 2 wheel sizes? Am I going to ber comfortable with the same HT on a 29er as I am on my 26er, or do they generally run steeper?

The scandal looks pretty nice. Does anyone know what length fork the geometry on their site is with?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Dheorl said:
How does HT angle relate between the 2 wheel sizes? Am I going to ber comfortable with the same HT on a 29er as I am on my 26er, or do they generally run steeper?

The scandal looks pretty nice. Does anyone know what length fork the geometry on their site is with?
Yes, 29er's do run a little steeper HTA's. I would say at the angles we are talking about, a degree and a half. So, loosely speaking, a 69 degree 29er would equate to 67.5 26".

The Paradox has the slackest HTA's of all production HT 29er's made (Sinister Simon Bar and the Nimble 9 being the others which spring to mind)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well the paradox looks good, especially if I can run it with a 120mm fork. I'm just worried about tyre clearence. Don't like the look of the nimble 9 (steel +eurgh).

Does anyone know where I can find more info on paradox geometry?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Dheorl said:
I asked about this in another thread that someone else started in a different section, but decided asking here would be a good idea.

So, as the title suggests my question is are there any good all mountain 29ers around?

Someone in the other thread mentioned a banshee paradox. I like the sound of it, apart from possibly the funny shock absorbing seat stays or whatever. I like my bikes to be all round as stiff as possible. Unfourtunally I can find it for sale anywhere in England.

I am quite light (only about 120 pounds) so what other people may not be able to use as an all mountain bike I might, if that helps at all. I also quite like slackish head angles on bikes, but am not sure how head angles on 26ers relate to head angles on 29ers.

Thanks in advance for any help.
The 'shock block' seat stays on the paradox just take the edge off the sharpest socks, they don't act like suspension at all. Just feels a bit like riding a stiff steel frame. And at 120lbs you probably wouldn't really get much shock absorbtion anyway, as they were designed for the big guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.