Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but not too many guys posting.
Howzit all, this is Leonard. Yeah, you know the caboose at the end of most rides. Just want to write and tell all what a great ride we had up Kahuku mx yesterday. It was Awesome. Capital A. Regular crew was joined by a group of Makakilo guys and the conditions were perfect. The dhers showed some real good skills going both up and down. The Doc led the group on what was my best ride in the last two years. The views of PauMalu (Sunset) and V'land were spectacular with the late season swell pumping li'dat.That's all I have except Mahalo Nui again. Hope to do it again real soon.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
the rte I usu do follows the road from fdland up to the BS camp--then takes the forest rd to the last gate on the left (unless I decide to do cambodia first)--take that jeep road pretty much all the way to a "T" and take a left down to the mx area.

I don't know---it was nice to ride but last I was there then road the mxers use to the left of that gate was even more extremely rutted than ever---and the fast road through the mx grounds had fresh gravel laid down slowing travel to a crawl.

Most rides here I have trouble averaging 5 or 6 mph on. The straight away ditch trail, the forest rds above the KPSTS and Kualoa Ranch are all pretty nice----wished there was more and wished access to Kualoa was more than just the 24 hr race. Aeia LP, is just too damn hard to be much fun. I dont mind climbs a bit but throw in ruts, drops, and felled trees and is asking 2 much.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Must be a different place...

ASR,
cause the trails we rode were in good condition and pretty much motorcycle free. We did not stay on or near the road much except for an occasional crossing. I don't know how you go in,but I drove my truck up to a parking area above the MX track and we started from there. We, especially me (slow), don't go by mph but by how much fun it was. All total was about 10 miles. 3+ hrs good for me. Hope the weather stays good for this weekend .
Ride on,
Leonard

·
Registered
192 Posts
Howzit Leonard!

57clydesdale said:
Howzit all, this is Leonard. Yeah, you know the caboose at the end of most rides. Just want to write and tell all what a great ride we had up Kahuku mx yesterday. It was Awesome. Capital A. Regular crew was joined by a group of Makakilo guys and the conditions were perfect. The dhers showed some real good skills going both up and down. The Doc led the group on what was my best ride in the last two years. The views of PauMalu (Sunset) and V'land were spectacular with the late season swell pumping li'dat.That's all I have except Mahalo Nui again. Hope to do it again real soon.
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard
Thanx for the great ride. I'm the guy with the black Specialized FSR (Rob). Havent been on a true cross country ride in a while. I'm still recovering from the climbing and the heat! That ride was a blast! Lookin' forward to the next ride. (Sunday?). Jimmy (Cannondale Gemini), and I usually check with Leonard N. for rides, hope to see you out there.

Army Slow Rider: Not sure if you remember me, I think I rode with you @ Mililani, before you went to Iraq. From reading your posts, It sounds like you may not be too happy with the quality of the trails here in Hawaii. I think maybe you're not going to the right places. If you come out with the right group, you'll have a blast! On Oahu alone there are trails that satisfy all levels of riders, no matter what style you ride, CC, DH, Urban, whatever. The weather is getting dryer and many trails are becoming super sweeet. Tis the time of year to go ridin'! If you are free on Sundays, drop me an e-mail if you want to hook up for some awesome riding.........

Rob
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
57clydesdale said:
Aloha ka'kou,
Leonard
Hey Leonard,

I'm the guy wiping out in the big gully and ended up upside down and tangled with my bike. The Kahuku ride was great. I just wish I was in better condition to enjoy it. I can't believe the cool single tracks Kahuku has.

Hopefully the weather will be dryer this year. Last year was just too wet ride Mililani and other trails. I look foward to start hitting Mililani again. Rob and I usually ride on the Leeward side hitting Aiea Loop, Royals, and Makakilo. We'll definitely want to ride the North Shore again this year.

Had a great time. Hope to ride with you soon.

Jimmy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad you guys had fun too!

Aloha kakahiaka Jimmy, Rob and all,
Yeah, despite the struggle to stay up with you all, I'm still thinking about last Sunday (Wed.) right now. Stoked that you guys enjoyed it as much as me. I'm not much into traveling too far to ride, but Kahuku is definitely on my "worth it" list. Jim knows that area like nobody else and just hammers away at it. I'm pretty much a Mililani rider, but we've been going MX the last 3 weekends. Always nice to go North Shore. Anyway, I'm at work and gotta go.
Aloha Ka'kou,
Leonard

·
Registered
160 Posts
riding beats typing

Well wednesday's are my rest days...lunch at Banditos, nap in the afternoon getting ready for a big thursday ride. Tomorrow will be Peacock flats again but I am thinking of running pupukea to Kahuku.
Can you make it all the way to Kahuku? I have ridden to V'land but didnt really look for trails heading north. Ahh well I love peacock flats up the pavement before DAF trails for hours and then down Makaha side and around the point.

I love riding here in the Islands!!

bill

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
mtnbkr4eva said:
Army Slow Rider: Not sure if you remember me, I think I rode with you @ Mililani, before you went to Iraq. From reading your posts, It sounds like you may not be too happy with the quality of the trails here in Hawaii. I think maybe you're not going to the right places. If you come out with the right group, you'll have a blast! On Oahu alone there are trails that satisfy all levels of riders, no matter what style you ride, CC, DH, Urban, whatever. The weather is getting dryer and many trails are becoming super sweeet. Tis the time of year to go ridin'! If you are free on Sundays, drop me an e-mail if you want to hook up for some awesome riding.........

Rob
[email protected]
Rob--yeah I remember that ride--Dan and Devin and Allison were along too. It was a good ride.

I guess I should quit complaining due to my own lack of skill and effort and for being spoiled by scads of practically buff singletracks. So apologies---I know there is riding I do enjoy here--I had a really nice A+ ride in the forest near Hilo when I was over there not long ago. And like I said the area above KPSTS and Kualoa I know I like. And it sounds like there is a lot of singletrack besides Cambodia that I'm missing around Pupukea/Kahukus.

If you all could drop me an email for any XC rides you all do on Sundays I'm game to ride some. I know Devin had told me the group was doing the Kahuku area a few weeks ago but I guess I thought it was going to be more of a jump fest.........Wife is having shoulder surgery this Monday so I may not be able to start for a week or two depending on how that goes and how much house work help I'm gunna have to do...

I do the **gasp** road thing on Saturdays.

Later,
Pete

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Lunch time on Aloha Friday

Howzit Bill,
Wow, sounds like you do some long rides. I get near heart attack going up the 3 miles to the trails above Mokulei'a. Usually pass on those days. Yes, I think you could get all the way to Kahuku town via roads and trail. But the Kahuku I was referring to was the Moto-cross track just above V'land. Conditions have been good there the last month. I think some guys went Thursday(yesterday). I spent the day at work, just like today. Typing away!!!! Hope to meet up and ride together. Check the roll call thread. Maybe one time all O'ahu riders can make it for a group ride. Ride on.
Leonard

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.