Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Back of the pack fat guy
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I could tell you the story of my life, it would boil down to this - I always have learned lessons the hard way. Case in point - yesterday, I decided that instead of my usual Friday afternoon mountain bike ride, I'd do a short road "recovery" ride from my house to the new Veteran's Cemetary out off Hill Road and back. Everything is going copasetic as I cruise through the corner of Hill and Gary lane. I've been maintaining my recovery pace of 18 - 20 mph, I resisted the urge to chase down a group of Dobbiaco roadies, the birds are singing, the sun is shining, everything is great. Until. Until I realized that I was supposed to have gotten up on the sidewalk at the corner of Gary and Hill, so I could continue along the old Hill Road section to the cemetary. No biggie, I thought, as I rolled up to the sidewalk, prepared to bunny hop the curb...and...wait for it...BAM!

As I pulled up on the handlebars to jump the curb, my friggin' front wheel comes totally out of the drop outs. Down goes Earthpig, face first into the sidewalk. Smacked square onto my jaw, splitting open my chin and hammering my jaw so far back into my skull that I can't bite down to save my life. (Still can't today!) Anyway, a trip to the St. Lukes ER ensued - luckily, a passing motorist gave me a ride back into town and dropped me off at the ER. Three internal stitches on my chin, and 6 external to close my chin gash. Turns out I also bruised my temporomandibular joints in my jaw so badly that I have to eat soft foods for a week!!!

The moral (moron?) of the story is to ALWAYS check your QR!!! I hadn't removed the front wheel for a while, but I guess the last time I did, I didn't put the wheel back in firmly. Luckily, no broken bones, the bike seems to be OK (front wheel is out of true, big deal), and it could have been MUCH worse. I think about what happened to Dr. LeBow (similar thing, except he broke his neck and ended up passing away b/c of the injury) and I shudder.

Here's the best part - after leaving the ER at 7:30 last night, I was riding Hard Guy this morning at 10 AM. While I still can't bite down with my back teeth, I can bite hard enough with my front teeth to get water out of my Camelbak!! Hey, who needs solid foods when you're bombing down Hard Guy anyway. Maybe I should permanently stick to mountain biking!! ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Hopefully that's enough...

Earthpig said:
If I could tell you the story of my life, it would boil down to this - I always have learned lessons the hard way. Case in point - yesterday, I decided that instead of my usual Friday afternoon mountain bike ride, I'd do a short road "recovery" ride from my house to the new Veteran's Cemetary out off Hill Road and back. Everything is going copasetic as I cruise through the corner of Hill and Gary lane. I've been maintaining my recovery pace of 18 - 20 mph, I resisted the urge to chase down a group of Dobbiaco roadies, the birds are singing, the sun is shining, everything is great. Until. Until I realized that I was supposed to have gotten up on the sidewalk at the corner of Gary and Hill, so I could continue along the old Hill Road section to the cemetary. No biggie, I thought, as I rolled up to the sidewalk, prepared to bunny hop the curb...and...wait for it...BAM!

As I pulled up on the handlebars to jump the curb, my friggin' front wheel comes totally out of the drop outs. Down goes Earthpig, face first into the sidewalk. Smacked square onto my jaw, splitting open my chin and hammering my jaw so far back into my skull that I can't bite down to save my life. (Still can't today!) Anyway, a trip to the St. Lukes ER ensued - luckily, a passing motorist gave me a ride back into town and dropped me off at the ER. Three internal stitches on my chin, and 6 external to close my chin gash. Turns out I also bruised my temporomandibular joints in my jaw so badly that I have to eat soft foods for a week!!!

The moral (moron?) of the story is to ALWAYS check your QR!!! I hadn't removed the front wheel for a while, but I guess the last time I did, I didn't put the wheel back in firmly. Luckily, no broken bones, the bike seems to be OK (front wheel is out of true, big deal), and it could have been MUCH worse. I think about what happened to Dr. LeBow (similar thing, except he broke his neck and ended up passing away b/c of the injury) and I shudder.

Here's the best part - after leaving the ER at 7:30 last night, I was riding Hard Guy this morning at 10 AM. While I still can't bite down with my back teeth, I can bite hard enough with my front teeth to get water out of my Camelbak!! Hey, who needs solid foods when you're bombing down Hard Guy anyway. Maybe I should permanently stick to mountain biking!! ;)
To have your "dues" paid up for a long, long, long ass time

heal up dude

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
damb EP....heal up bud.....looks bad, but i'm positive it could have ben a whole lot worse.

I had a buddy lose his front wheel after trying to hop a set of railroad tracks at a fairly high rate of speed...crushed his frame/fork and sent him to the hospital for about a week....he kinda lost interest in cycling shortly there after too..... so it was purdy nasty.

Thanks for the QR reminder though. I'm going out and checking ALL of mine tonite ; )

take care, Chad

·
aaarrrggghh!
631 Posts
First off....

You should probably get a new razor because you missed alot there on your chin. Second, I never needed to see what your brain looks like as viewed through your nose :D .

See if you stuck to MTBing that wouldn't have happened, or would it?

Just giving you a hard time, get better soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.