Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking @ buying a headset w/ stainless steel cups. Just wondering if they are harder to install because the steel has no give compared to aluminum ? I will be using a homemade all-thread washer installer which is also a little im-percise. Thanx

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
If that headset uses those deep insert type of cups you might need to prep your headtube differently than a standard cup, but I wouldn't worry about the difference in the two metals on install.

·
Super Moderator
48,237 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
If that headset uses those deep insert type of cups you might need to prep your headtube differently than a standard cup, but I wouldn't worry about the difference in the two metals on install.
Yup, if you are getting one of the the deep insertion headsets you will need to get the headtube prepped for proper fit. Then you might as well have the shop press in the new cups.

I do not trust jury-rigged headset presses. Just too easy to screw up and so easy to have it done with the right tools. It is a one-time job for me. In 20+ years of riding I have trashed just one headset. I have several headsets that are 10+ years old and are still going strong (and not Chris Kings).

·
ride hard take risks
25,422 Posts
3's a winner if long steel cups have the shop do it, if standard length your tool should work. Your threaded home brew tool, keep your pants on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts