Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

On a recent crash I bent my bars and now have to replace them.
They were aluminum.

Now I'm torn between which type I should get next. The steel are
more durable but they are heavier and of course the aluminum are
lighter.

Anyway which type should I get? Also, which brand/model?

Btw, I don't do DH, I am more of a cross-country/ free rider.

These bars are going on an aluminum Santa Cruz Superlight

Thanks

·
Registered
989 Posts
Carbon.
LOL. Steel is pig heavy and probably would have bent or got damaged in that crash anyway. Get another quality aluminum and you'll be fine. Don't go ultra light XC and they'll be plenty durable.
That said, I've switched to carbon bars. No problems, but then I've never bent an aluminum bar either.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I am thinking steel is because they are more durable in case I crash again. I hope I don't, but it's inevitable!...lol.

The problem with carbon is that they won't survive impact, at least that's what I've heard.

·
Content from my avatar
4,355 Posts
The reason I am thinking steel is because they are more durable in case I crash again. I hope I don't, but it's inevitable!...lol.

The problem with carbon is that they won't survive impact, at least that's what I've heard.
You're thinking wrong about the steel and you've heard wrong about the carbon. Durability in a crash has much more to do with construction quality than it has to do with material.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have bent 2 steel bars when I was in high school doing small drops on grass. Never bent aluminum on insane trails or crashes. Now I ride chinese carbon and would never go back. Good stiffness but good vibe damping(great for carpal tunnel) and cheap.

·
GONE
25,568 Posts
Recently had a very hard lean over crash and the end of my CF handlebar slammed hard on a hard surface. I was sure I cracked it but it was just fine.

Not only are CF bars extremely durable, they also help deaden trail chatter/vibration felt through your hands so your ride is a tiny bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
989 Posts
And AFAIK no one makes high quality steel bars so the steel bar you get are heavy and not strong. What you would find on department store bikes and possibly the lowest entry level bikes. They'll bend before a good qulaity aluminum one will. Yes, if you're really concerned you could get DH aluminum bars. Long time ago we used to run those Answers which were actually motocross bars for trials.

·
29ers Forever
2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude A70
3,425 Posts
Go carbon fibre. They are stronger, lighter, and more comfortable than Aluminum. They are certainly more durable than steel.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Carbon fiber man! Do it. You'll like them. All my bikes are now switched over, except my two road bikes. Once has the Jones h bar. No carbon of that.... Yet.

·
Professional Crastinator
6,121 Posts
Steel bars only come in one size: cheap! They will bend.

I would also avoid the aluminum Kalloy bars.

Also, don't clamp your handlebar stem too tightly. In a crash, the stem should spin on the steerer before the bars bend.
...unless you fell off a cliff or something. Then I'm glad you're still able to type.

-F

1 - 20 of 20 Posts