Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make any sense to make some bolt on skewers out of aluminum? There is a lot of twisting and bending going on down there and I am not sure if aluminum could stand up to it. But then, maybe not. Has anyone tried?

_MK

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MK_ said:
Does it make any sense to make some bolt on skewers out of aluminum? There is a lot of twisting and bending going on down there and I am not sure if aluminum could stand up to it. But then, maybe not. Has anyone tried?

_MK
I would not use them. There are flex issues with ti skewers. You cannot make a skewer shaft any larger than they already are an I would not trust an aluminum skewer of than small diameter.

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see why you're comparing Al to Ti? Ti will outlast Al, no doubt, but the flex issue is moot with aluminum. Al is fairly rigid, unlike Ti, which is very flexible. From that perspective, Al would be an improvement. I am just worried about the fatigue of the material.

_MK

·
Registered
938 Posts
MK_ said:
I don't see why you're comparing Al to Ti? Ti will outlast Al, no doubt, but the flex issue is moot with aluminum. Al is fairly rigid, unlike Ti, which is very flexible. From that perspective, Al would be an improvement. I am just worried about the fatigue of the material.

_MK
I'm no expert, but I think that skewers have to be able to flex some. I have a feeling that Al skewers would break to easily.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
MK_ said:

_MK
Because of the require dimensions of a skewer an aluminum version would be far weaker and more flexible than steel or ti.

Aluminum will flex. It is less stiff than either steel or ti. It also has a much lower fatigue life and the flex will exceed that quickly.

Simply put, if a metal is half as strong you need to use twice as much by weight to regain the strength.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.