Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade the wheels on my Peace 9r. I found a great deal on wheels, but they come with an AL 9 sod freehub body. Would running SS rip this thing apart? I Ron a Hope rear hub on one of my other bikes and have noticed scoring on the AL freehub body running a full cassette.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,084 Posts
I've been running a CK hub w/aluminum freehub body since '02. Bike is outfitted with 195mm arms, I weigh 195# and have used that bike to train for & race 100 miles plus general hammering in steep terrain. The longer cranks allow for some heinous torque... no problems with the freehub body, but I've always used a wide-base cog.

--Sparty

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had actually been thinking about ISAR's cogs for this bike anyway. Cool:thumbsup:

·
ride the moment
1,067 Posts
alexrex20 said:
lol @ people still recommending ISAR
The only issue anyone is having is that he's busy and not getting orders out in the stated 2 weeks. Furthermore these [email protected] don't seem to understand that it's not a "company" but rather a dude running a business out of his garage. By everyone's account the finished product is quality sh!t. That being said, I don't really see why someone would want a custom cog when you can just hit the LBS for a surly that day. For my purposes, I wanted a 9-speed ring for my WI cranks and he was the only game in town.

Sparticus said:
I've been running a CK hub w/aluminum freehub body since '02. Bike is outfitted with 195mm arms, I weigh 195# and have used that bike to train for & race 100 miles plus general hammering in steep terrain. The longer cranks allow for some heinous torque... no problems with the freehub body, but I've always used a wide-base cog.
Where do you get 195mm cranks?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,084 Posts

·
3,707 Posts
nuck_chorris said:
his products are top notch and he gets a high score on customer service for what his company is
I never said anything about his products---just posted the thread for reference. Maybe his products are great--maybe not--I don't know, never had them (BTW, have you bought from him?). And probably never will (or any custom chainring/cogs for that matter that I have to wait on for more than a day), unless my Surly CR/cogs start folding in half.

·
Come see me after class
1,431 Posts
Sparticus said:
Here:
http://www.hscycle.com/Pages/customcrankset.html

I have four sets of 195mm cranks -- they're awesome, albeit heavy compared to many (shorter) production cranks. But nothing trumps proper bike fit, from frame to stem to crank length, IMO.

--Sparty
how tall are you Sparty? i'm 5-8 and can't imagine pedaling some 195 cranks!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.