Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm looking to get my aluminum GT frame repaired but can't find anyone who can TIG in the area. I have access to a MIG welder and have lots of experience with welding aluminum with MIG. My question is..... will MIG welding a frame be ok? Has anyone does this? Also, the frame is made of 6061 T6 aluminum. It is cracked in the heat affected area from an original weld, pictured below.

Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
The common answer is a cracked aluminum frame is not worth repairing (no, you can't mig weld the repair).

If you are absolutely in love with the frame, it can be repaired but will require a competent tig welder and heat treating.

I found myself in this position with an old Ibis that I just couldnt let go, fortunately I was able to talk a very reputable frame builder into repairing/heat treating and re-powder coating the frame for me. Was not cheap.

·
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got back from the local GT dealer, although the frame is over its 5 year warranty they said there could be a chance that I could still get a warranty replacement. Crossing my fingers now, thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts