Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Like the idea they're lighter than steel.

Fat tyres at low pressures make a nonsense out of the "feel" of frame materials.

I really don't like this 135mm front hub stuff. Why use a 9mm axle when a 10mm would be better - especially in a wide fork and a tyre that has the grip to put a significant amount of twist into the setup.

Why not simply make wide forks to take 135 rear hubs. A single speed hub of that width is light.

Oops, that means no chance to sell an expensive proprietary hub...

·
aka bOb
8,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like the idea they're lighter than steel.

Fat tyres at low pressures make a nonsense out of the "feel" of frame materials.

I really don't like this 135mm front hub stuff. Why use a 9mm axle when a 10mm would be better - especially in a wide fork and a tyre that has the grip to put a significant amount of twist into the setup.

Why not simply make wide forks to take 135 rear hubs. A single speed hub of that width is light.

Oops, that means no chance to sell an expensive proprietary hub...
Won't these work with a surly rear hub? I still get the hub thing confused, right now I am using the surly front hub with rear disc spacing and a I believe it has a 10mm axle.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
I get confused too :)

It's simple anyway. If you get a fork with a 9mm axle and rear disk spacing, you can always do a wee bit of filing and open out the dropout to 10mm. Then you can use rear hubs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The aluminum fork uses a rear hub (unlike the Snowpack carbon forks).
www dot fatbikes dot com/907-fork-aluminum.html
says:
Uses 135mm front disc hub

On facebook they say:

No Offset, 135mm, Rear Spaced. Will come in a 450mm and a 468mm Axle to Crown.

Looks like the fatbikes dot com info might be wrong, I emailed them and am waiting for a clarification.

(still need 9 more posts to post urls)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
www dot fatbikes dot com/907-fork-aluminum.html
says:
Uses 135mm front disc hub

On facebook they say:

No Offset, 135mm, Rear Spaced. Will come in a 450mm and a 468mm Axle to Crown.

Looks like the fatbikes dot com info might be wrong, I emailed them and am waiting for a clarification.

(still need 9 more posts to post urls)
The description of the fork on fatbikes.com says:

The 9:ZERO:7 aluminum fork is rear disc brake compatible and must be used with a front disc hub using rear brake spacing. The recommended hub for the 9:ZERO:7 aluminum fork is our own 135mm front hub. Surly hubs are also compatible with this fork.

A "front disc hub using rear brake spacing" is just a standard rear hub with no means of attaching a cog, a la Surly or Salsa 135 "front" hubs.
The use of the phrase "135 mm front disc hub" in the Product Highlights section does make it confusing. They should probably correct that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.