Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Speedway site says "aluminum Fatback coming soon". Aluminum frame and steel fork starting at around $600. Same symetrical design as the Ti version. COOL! Aluminum is finally finding a place in fatbiking - and so many choices these days!

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I'm really excited about this! Current job situation has taken me out of the price range of the ti fat back, but this lower priced, alu version might be within range for me. I like symmetry.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hear ya Minitrail - cameras,computers,bikes,etc... I buy the expensive one because I'm so exited about it's developement - then the cheaper, better version comes out. Oh well, it's all good. Lets hope it all rings true. Speedway is getting a reputation for delivering the goods.Apperantly they'er keeping the same geometry... does anyone know their axle to crown messurment?

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
I think the AL Fatbacks will appeal more toward the first time buyers and I suspect Greg will sell a boat load of these. I know lots first time buyers who are anticipating this new arrival.

But, if you already own a Pugsly and want to drop some weight then the A-Symetrical AL 907 is a no brainer. I already know two people who up-graded their surly frames and the weight savings are indeed significant. They just swapped the parts right over and..... vala!! done. Should mention the AL 907s are all made by SAPA (Turner, Titus etc).... these AL frames are stunning pieces of craftsmenship and for $499.... the price is right.

Regards,

EndUser

·
6,589 Posts
Dude, that was pathetic. You would think that after the shenanigans mentioned on AKspokes that CR and their patrons would be a wee bit careful about continuing to step on the toes of other companies. I have a feeling Bill and Jamie(not that I know them) wouldn't appreciate you doing that on this thread.

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
sean salach said:
Dude, that was pathetic. You would think that after the shenanigans mentioned on AKspokes that CR and their patrons would be a wee bit careful about continuing to step on the toes of other companies. I have a feeling Bill and Jamie(not that I know them) wouldn't appreciate you doing that on this thread.
I agree with you and I've noted that "that" particular behavior is questionable as discussed in "that" other thread. AKspokes has a captive audience and I'm only trying to get this information out to the masses. The two AL bikes are different and will appeal to different segments of the fatbike community. I want everyone here to know that there are great products being developed in Alaska and I want both shops to do well and sell their products.

No where have I disparaged anyone at anytime and I choose to take the high ground. My post is not pathetic - and why must this be limited to just a single brand? If more imformation the the AL Fatback was available I'd like to know.

This is about sharing information.

Regards,

EndUser.

·
6,589 Posts
Granted, and it was probably unnecessary of me to use the word pathetic. Your post just read a lot like ad copy rather than simple props to the 907 aluminum. And as I was upstairs drinking coffee, I thought about it and recalled at least one 907 thread that got hijacked by Fatback fans(like myself).

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Though I'm not familiar with the "shinanigans", have to side w/ enduser on this one. And thanks for the info. I personally prefer symetrical and the AL Fatback has now moved to the top of my list.Trying real hard right now to explain to my wife why I need two Fatbikes! If the "budget talks" go in my favor, I'll be calling Speedway ASAP and getting on the list for one of these. By the way, don't let these affordable prices fool you - aluminum is not just for beginers. Ti is awesome and virtually corrosion free - but AL is quite corrosion resistant ( at least in comparison w/ steel),( done right) is plenty strong and has some great properties for frames ( light weight, damp,etc...). My hope is that these new developements will get alot more cyclists out trying the high-floatation thing that might otherwise have not. Remember, the more bikes one shop sells, the more bikes the other shop sells too.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Post some detailed pics of the frame already. Jeeze, some folks might have money to spend and decisions to make. :p

·
6,589 Posts
While the wait is frustrating, this is one of the things I like about Speedway's stuff. Seems to me that they aren't willing to jump the gun and post or make available something that isn't really ready yet. Everything's very well thought out, and there aren't any 'oops' moments or design kinks to work out after the fact. But it is frustrating waiting for the pics....

·
Registered
597 Posts
hoping a +1 is in order

sean salach said:
While the wait is frustrating, this is one of the things I like about Speedway's stuff. Seems to me that they aren't willing to jump the gun and post or make available something that isn't really ready yet. Everything's very well thought out, and there aren't any 'oops' moments or design kinks to work out after the fact. But it is frustrating waiting for the pics....
This idea is some consolation, so that is good to hear (and I hear nothing but good stuff about Greg and co., so I hope they come through)...but the waiting is tough, along with the anguish over the thought of spending the extra $1,200 on the Ti frame, which would by a lot of REALLY nice parts to outfit an aluminum model.

The expanded options will certainly call for some comparisons, or perhaps a fatbike fest (like the local telefest, where folks can demo a bunch of skis over a day or two).

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I was under the impression that one had already shipped. What would be jumping the gun about posting a pic of an existing model?

·
Registered
788 Posts
tscheezy said:
I was under the impression that one had already shipped. What would be jumping the gun about posting a pic of an existing model?
I mis-read your question in the other thread. I thought you were asking about the 907 that I measured. That shipped out before I could get pics and more measurements with a wheel. Sounds like we should see some pics of the al fatback on here soon from Greg.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts