Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After almost a year of planning and development, we are now ready to unveil our newest 9:ZERO:7. Named after the telephone area code for Alaska and produced in the US, the new, aluminum 9:ZERO:7 is designed for epic back-country winter adventures. It retails for $899.00. We have already taken several pre-orders.

Production frames will be anodized black with laser etched graphics, and our initial production run will arrive at Chain Reaction Cycles the third or fourth week of September.
Frames will be available in four sizes: small (15"), medium (17"), large (19"), and x-large (21"). The frame weight on the initial size large frame was 3.7lbs. The frame includes all of the features and benefits of our titanium
9:ZERO:7
with one significant difference: we have adopted the 17.5 mm Pugsley offset. Why did we copy the Pugs offset?
  1. Our goal was to make an affordable, aluminum, performance oriented fat bike. This allows the end user to use any 135mm hub, lowering the overall cost of the bike. We have a built bike option, with a modest part spec, for $2200.
  2. The offset design is well supported with a variety of rims available for wheel building
  3. It works well with all rim widths including 100mm
  4. To gain these benefits and to maintain proper chainline, a 17.5mm offset is necessary
  5. If you already own a Pugsley, upgrading to an aluminum 9:ZERO:7 is as easy as moving your parts over to the new frame. Everything transfers except the seatpost (30.9 post required).
Here is the email correspondence with Surly:

Bill,

We appreciate the courtesy of you asking, but we really don't have any kind of lock on the 17.5mm offset design. That offset is just a result of basic math when dealing with a 100mm bottom bracket. I'm not sure we were the first to use it and we probably won't be the last, so have at it. As far as we're concerned, the more that do this sort of stuff the merrier.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Eric Sovern
Surly Bikes
Sent: Tuesday, January 27, 2009 5:50 PM
To: surly
Subject: Asking for permission...

I have attached pictures showing the large (19") bike with 80mm Vicious rims. The close-ups showing chainstay/seatstay clearances are with 100mm rims. The initial build was quick and uneventful. Frame alignment is spot on and weld quality is superb. While the frame was designed to accommodate all rim combinations, we were please to see it swallow a 100mm rim whole, no problem.

Hoping for snow soon...

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a little tough to format it into a nice chart, nevertheless, here's the geometry for the four sizes:

Small (15") Medium (17") Large (19") X-Large (21")
ST (C-T) 15" 17" 19" 21"
TT (Effective) 559mm(22.0") 586mm(23.1") 610mm(24.1") 635mm(25.0")
HT Angle 69.5 70 70 70
ST Angle 73 73 73 73
BB Drop 55mm 55mm 55mm 55mm
CS Length 470mm 470mm 470mm 470mm
HT Length 120mm 140mm 160mm 180mm
FK Axle - Crown 450mm 450mm 450mm 450mm
FK Rake 45mm 45mm 45mm 45mm

Regarding forks, the frame was designed around the readily available Surly options. Here are a few more pics...

Attachments

·
Stubby-legged
1,365 Posts
Still made in the USA?

Thanks for keeping the 135 spacing. I am looking at a second snowbike for this up coming winter. The prospect of a $400 rear wheel w/160 spacing was pushing me to another Pugs. (still not a bad choice.) The pug is not going to be made in a small size this year (again!). I think your 15 in will be the right size for Stubby-legged folks like me.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made in Portland, Oregon

Yep, the frames are produced in Portland, Oregon. The company has produced frames for Turner, Titus, Ellsworth, and Santa Cruz, so they know what time it is when it comes to producing a quality bike. The welds are pretty incredible.

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Now here is a frame that will sell well .

Clever idea to make a swap from the Pug easy.

135mm rear spacing also means Alfine compatability which is good.

Asthetically, the head tube looks a little `long` for my personal taste and may mean a new steerer tube if I were to `swap` (currently my 20" Pug has a 130mm HTL)

I was wondering regarding down tube clearence WRT the Mav Duc 32 ? Would a high rise bottom crown be required as it is in the Pug ?

Thanks,
Dr FG. :)

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Wow finally a light affordable snowbike frame. I'd need an excentricker to make a singlespeed but that is tempting. And I just bought a 20" Pugs frame too...hmmm.

Where were you a week ago!?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Standover...

Stand-over was calculated using a Endomorph an an 80mm rim, an axle to crown of 450mm, and a bearing stack of 12.5mm. Real world stand over might be a little different, but these numbers should be close:
21" = 33.5"/851mm
19" = 32"/813mm
17" = 30.7"/780mm
15" = 29.5"/750mm

I agree the head tube looks "long", but that was by design. If you look at many fat bikes, especially those designed for endurance races, you often see a large stack of spacers, a positive angled stem, and riser bars. We like a more upright position, and we prefer a flat bar to hang all the winter gear/accessories off of. Rather than rely on the above, we lengthened the head tube. Speeds are relatively low on fat bikes (at least mine are...), so the upright position fits well.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
That definitely seems like a pretty good option. All I would need to swap my pug parts over would be a seatpost shim. I already have the 100mm fork for a dynamo hub. I'd have to get more into winter racing and such to really justify. I beat the piss out of my Pugsley and think that steel is probably a bit better choice. I also like the tall head tube. My fork is uncut on my 22".

·
MTB aficionado
1,022 Posts
Compact Frame.....

I demo'd the Ti version (and bought one) and I can tell you the compact frame design will become a standard for winter bikes....... along with the longer chainstays.

The bike rides amazingly well and it's super comfortable.

This bike will rule the winter scene.... I predict. I've laid my hands on it and it's lovely.

The next evolution should be suspension corrected frame geometry. Not necessary for winter riding, but it would be nice for those who would like convert these frames into summer 29'er mountain bikes.

Regards,

EndUser

·
Registered
34 Posts
We have a built bike option, with a modest part spec, for $2200.

What parts will you be using/including for $2200?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Frame = 9:ZERO:7 Aluminum frame
Fork = Surly Pugsley 26" Fork 100mm spacing
Crank = TV Blaze 3.1 175mm 22-32 -44 9spd ISIS Cset
BB = TV GigaPipe Team DH 68/68E/73x118mm BB ISIS
Rear Der. = SRAM 2010 X.7 Rear long cage derailleur Silver
Front Der. = SLX M660 E-Type Top- swing Dual-pull Frt Der
Cassette = SRAM PG950 9spd 11-34 cassette
Chain = SRAM PC951 9spd chain Gray
Front Brake = Avid BB5 Disc Brk Mtn Frt/Rear 160mm Rotor
Rear Brake = Avid BB5 Disc Brk Mtn Frt/Rear 160mm Rotor
Levers = Avid FR-5 lever set Silver/Black
Shifters = SRAM X.7 Gripshift 9spd shifters
Headset = Cane Creek 09 S-1 1-1/8" Blk thrdlss
Seatpost = Kalloy 30.9 x 400mm Blk Alloy post
Handlebar = Salsa Moto Ace Flat Bar 25.4 5dx660mm Blk
Grips = Oury Mtn grips Black
Stem = Ritchey Comp 25.4 110mm 84/96d Black Mtn stem
Saddle = WTB Speed V Comp Black Saddle Steel Rail
Tires = Surly 26 x 3.7" Tire 60tpi, blk/blk skinwall
Wheels = Vicious Fat Sheba 80mm rims w/ Deore Hubs

·
Ride = Life
193 Posts
Any theory behind the layed back seatpost? I've never had one or needed one. Does it provide better fit for this bike's geometry or snowbikes in general?

·
A Surly Maverick
2,702 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
Now here is a frame that will sell well .

Clever idea to make a swap from the Pug easy.

135mm rear spacing also means Alfine compatability which is good.

Asthetically, the head tube looks a little `long` for my personal taste and may mean a new steerer tube if I were to `swap` (currently my 20" Pug has a 130mm HTL)

I was wondering regarding down tube clearence WRT the Mav SC 32 ? Would a high rise bottom crown be required as it is in the Pug ?

Thanks,
Dr FG. :)
Just noticed that I put DUC 32 and asked about downtube clearence..... Duuuuuh !
Now changed :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No theory, really. I'm just a fan of the Thompson posts, and from a fit perspective, it's no different than the standard setback seatpost that most people ride with. The Thompson post moves the saddle back 2cm, a standard offset, but they just go about doing it in a different way. The end result is the same.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's always a tough one. Fat bikes, while enjoying an upsurge in popularity, are still a small niche, so any sort of production run is going to run on the conservative side when it comes to sizing. There are options, however, and you sound like a good candidate for a custom frame. The list of reputable builders who can make a custom fat bike is actually pretty long. Here's a partial list:
Vicious
DeSalvo
Wildfire Designs
Speedway Fatback
Chain Reaction 9:ZERO:7 Ti

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
9:ZERO:7 Anodized Black

Just wanted to give everyone on the Fat Bike forum a few pics of the ano black aluminum frame. We're getting anodized red frames in next week, so I'll post some pics when I get a chance. I wasn't sure I was going to like the ano black, but it came out looking freakin' sweet! The graphics are laser etched and are extremely sharp. There is updated information, including new prices, on the Chain Reaction website.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 184 Posts