Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Aluminium Padcarrier bolts: 6g / 4pcs.

i just got some aluminium padcarrier bolts. they weigh a scant 6g for the set, including Al-nuts it's 13g. the same set with standard steel studs and nuts weighs 37g.....-24g -not bad.

i already had Al-nuts and Ti-studs but those out of aluminium will save me another 8g so my Vuelta Magnesium V's now will weigh just 210g the set (f+r). sweeeet ;)

·
MaLóŒ¢*size=
817 Posts
Am I going mad or it was you nino who said that using alu canti stud was REAAAALLYY dangerous when i posted my home made alu canti studs a time ago?

These are home made alu canti stud made from a m6 alu bolt. Home-made CNC. The black one is an OEM steel one. The middle is the alu bolt and the last one is the alu canti stud.

Do you have alu bolts on your stem or are you gonna wait til next season to use them and post it here? ;)

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
correct, but....

your homemade bolts have a thread which acts like a "must-break-here" (i don't know the correct english expression)
still, i'm not totally convinced about them but since they are made especially for that purpose they are strong enough. you see mine are tapered and don't have a thread where they are stressed under tension.

i won't use Al-bolts in my stem.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
nino said:
your homemade bolts have a thread which acts like a "must-break-here" (i don't know the correct english expression)
still, i'm not totally convinced about them but since they are made especially for that purpose they are strong enough. you see mine are tapered and don't have a thread where they are stressed under tension.

i won't use Al-bolts in my stem.
"Must-break-here" = Perforation. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been using front and rear alum canti bolts for my Avid Mags for over a year. NO PROBLEMS. I have a set of titanium bolts if a problem develops. BTW does anyone know if the avid mag brake pads are the wranglers or the wrangler II's. I also have my brake pad carriers tuned with the ti bolts and nuts. tanks :cool:

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
MaL?m I going mad or it was you nino who said that using alu canti stud was REAAAALLYY dangerous when i posted my home made alu canti studs a time ago? [/QUOTE said:
I have to admit that I had concerns about using Al for this as well. But in looking at the padcarrier bolt when it is mounted , it is completely encased in washers/spacers, etc, like a shell formed around them. It would seem that this would give them strength, and negate the threads as a weak point. I'm still not planning on trying them yet, I have Ti ones right now. But its interesting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.