Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
the more carbon , the better

Don.t know if I have the money for it, but Carbon is the nicest frame material for me.

patirwin said:
Now Airborne is talking of an aluminum/carbon(TT&DT) B-29. What do you guys think?
No price yet....
Alaska Pat

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
The Carbon is Where?

Pat, I'm not sure I'm reading this right. Aluminum/ Carbon frame with the Top tube, and downtube made out of Carbon, ala Cannondale's 6-13? Please elaborate! Price range? Sounds intriguing, but a little silly if carbon is in the "wrong " places. :confused:

·
29er Pilot
101 Posts
I dont get it?

It seems as though were going from one extreem of the dollar spectrum to the other with this concept.

If Airborne thinks making an apx 399 all AL frame will put them in the Kmart rack bike bracket there dead wrong. That AL frame at apx that price is a market nuke, there is nothing out there, that I know of, that could compete with it "bang for the buck" so to say. Get them to make five of them and put them on the site and see what happens.

Dont get me wrong, I have nothing against a Carbon/AL B-29, but at the price it would run, I like many others would look toward existing frames.

I guess what im trying to say is:
All AL B-29 for around 400 bucks = HUGE target market
Carbon/AL B-29 for (im guessing) 800 - 1000 + - bucks = much narower target market

I don't build bike frames, but I do buy them.

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
Pat, I'm not sure I'm reading this right. Aluminum/ Carbon frame with the Top tube, and downtube made out of Carbon, ala Cannondale's 6-13? Please elaborate! Price range? Sounds intriguing, but a little silly if carbon is in the "wrong " places. :confused:
Probably look something like this (although this is a 24" BMX Cruiser).

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
showing my ignorance here

patirwin said:
Now Airborne is talking of an aluminum/carbon(TT&DT) B-29. What do you guys think?
No price yet....
Alaska Pat
To be honest, I'd be more willing to buy the all Alum frameset. When I buy a frame I'm usually thinking I'll want it around for quite a few years (that usually doesn't happen, but it's what I think). I guess I just worry about alum/carbon bonding and integrity on an off road bike. But if someone were to educate me I could be swayed.....

·
Just Ride!
1,288 Posts
bigwheelboy_490 said:
Probably look something like this (although this is a 24" BMX Cruiser).
There probably would be galvanic reaction issues between the carbon and aluminum bond at some point down the road. If it had to be metal and carbon, Ti would be a better choice. I still vote for an all carbon 15lb single speed that litteraly leaps forward with every pedal stroke :D

Here is a Merlin Lunaris, with Ti / Carbon mix.

Attachments

·
IMBA Guy
173 Posts
Sounds good to me

I'm typically a steel guy, but aluminum with carbon seatstays sounds good to me. It makes for a helluva nice ride when done right. Just make sure it has good tire clearance.

I would guess that it could probably done at a nice price too. Airborne does an alu/carbon road frame for $600, seems like they could do the same with a mountain frame.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
patirwin said:
No price yet....
Alaska Pat
Sounds pricey.

Orbea's 9er frame is 599 retail. They need to beat this by a long shot if they want to "have a shot." Putting carbon in there sounds expensive. But if they could keep it to 499 w/carbon, or 399 w/out, still good.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Carbon/Al frames are ridiculous. The Al lugs required for the glued joint negate the weight savings of the carbon tubes, galvanic corrosion limits frame life, and feeling the "ride quality" of carbon through soft 2 inch tires, grips, saddles, bars and suspension forks is a remarkable accomplishment.

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
slim_pickens said:
Carbon/Al frames are ridiculous. The Al lugs required for the glued joint negates the weight savings of the carbon tubes, galvanic corrosion limits frame life, and feeling the "ride quality" of carbon through soft 2 inch tires, grips, saddles, bars and suspension forks is a remarkable accomplishment.
There IS a god!... :)

·
Non Dual Bliss
6,240 Posts
ncj01 said:
Sounds pricey.

Orbea's 9er frame is 599 retail. They need to beat this by a long shot if they want to "have a shot." Putting carbon in there sounds expensive. But if they could keep it to 499 w/carbon, or 399 w/out, still good.
So what does CF bring to the party for the extra money?

·
Feet back and spread 'em!
624 Posts
Yes!

slim_pickens said:
Carbon/Al frames are ridiculous. The Al lugs required for the glued joint negate the weight savings of the carbon tubes, galvanic corrosion limits frame life, and feeling the "ride quality" of carbon through soft 2 inch tires, grips, saddles, bars and suspension forks is a remarkable accomplishment.
I agree with Slim 100%. Carbon stays are a marketing gimmick.
and while I'm at it...what's with the engraving on Merlin Ti bikes? Is their goal to take a material with superior fatigue properties and reduce it to the level of aluminum by adding stress concentrations? Stoopid.

OK, I feel better now.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree with customz when he said "I still vote for an all carbon 15lb single speed that literaly leaps forward with every pedal stroke"

If you have spent any time on Carbon bikes, you know that there is nothing else like it in terms of rigidity and effiency of power transfer to the rear wheel.

Every frame materrial has strengths and weaknesses; but carbon wins the stregth to weight contest hands down.

Try it for yourself! Take a test ride on a carbon road bike and see what I am talking about.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.